Famous schooner Nina

John B

Sorry, ST, wrong storm! (although if in trouble they were out in that as well) - remember they left NZ on the 4th - 24 days ago. they were in the depression on 10 - 11th approx, which came out of the Coral Sea. South would have been correct IMO.

Things that might merit a bit more thought:

Wood glues only have approx 30 year life spans and the whole vessels stringers ect have to be re nogged.
Nina was built in 1928 for a race from New York to Spain

Another case for N.Z. to have DSC.

Nina was equipped with a satellite phone, a spot beacon which allowed regular tracking signals to be sent manually, and an emergency beacon. The beacon had not been activated.

The emergency beacon, located in the cabin, was likely to be a hydrostatic release beacon, he said. This meant it would either need to be manually released, or it would go off when it got wet.

Is your point that a a further or different device/button would have been of assistance in whatever situation they unfortunately seem to have found themselves in?

AND the Fiji race was finishing around the time these guys left NZ....

Good call David...

IS Stick to farming in Morrinsville.

Not accordingly to this article.

David Dyche 58, his wife Rosemary, 60, and their 17-year-old son, also named David, left the Bay of Islands aboard their 21m schooner Nina on May 29. They were heading for Newcastle, Australia, with a 35-year-old British man and three other Americans - a woman, 18, a man, 28 and Evi Nemeth, 73.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10893482

ST

Crew org David is missing at sea he will not be able to receive my e-mail..

ST

ST David came back last week. Did you not notice it was him who asked you for the email?

You are correct on the dates (I'd mixed them up), the 4th was when they were in trouble, so they missed the really big storm by even more... And Heading to Fiji is not the same as heading to Ausy.

Wood glues , in a 1928 boat?. re nogged ? ....excuse me while I cough myself to death laughing. What a load of old clap trap.

Take a look at the Photograph. It looks like a rebuild. It's not planked & chalked.

Crayfish.

See the link

"Construction:

Douglas fir backbone, laminated frames and strip planked (epoxy glued) hull. Composite deck, Pine deckhead, ply over, epoxy glass layer over, then douglas fir laid planking over.

Hollow Douglas fir masts, solid Douglas fir booms. Black Locust deckhouse, hatches and capping rail."

See the link

"Construction:

Douglas fir backbone, laminated frames and strip planked (epoxy glued) hull. Composite deck, Pine deckhead, ply over, epoxy glass layer over, then douglas fir laid planking over.

Hollow Douglas fir masts, solid Douglas fir booms. Black Locust deckhouse, hatches and capping rail."

See the correct link.

http://www.classicyacht.info/modules/ya ... -1679.html

Crayfish.

ST David came back last week. Did you not notice it was him who asked you for the email?

You are correct on the dates (I'd mixed them up), the 4th was when they were in trouble, so they missed the really big storm by even more... And Heading to Fiji is not the same as heading to Ausy.

Where did the storm pass from the north West Tasman sea from Australia and the Storm from east of Fiji passed well to the east of N.Z. Vodafone was jammed in between both weather systems for awhile was she not.

Crayfish.

Ok guys, I know i'm not into wooden construction, and ST is an idiot, but I understand CAULKING. What, if anything is nogging??

Are you sure IS. Is it not the term used CAULKING is the black stuff used to prevent leaking in between the planks.

Crayfish

Archived