Sign in to follow this  
John B

Famous schooner Nina

And where/when? Was it before they cleared North Cape, or before they left. It had crossed my mind as to why you would leave then, with a large, well forecast storm brewing in the Tasman :shock: . It's a place to be respected....

I really hope it turns out OK, but to be realistic it does not look to hopeful. :cry:

Could not have been that bad the Auckland fIji RACE WAS GIVEN THE LIGHT with a small boat entry.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22158&start=60

Sorry, ST, wrong storm! (although if in trouble they were out in that as well) - remember they left NZ on the 4th - 24 days ago. they were in the depression on 10 - 11th approx, which came out of the Coral Sea. South would have been correct IMO.

Things that might merit a bit more thought:

Wood glues only have approx 30 year life spans and the whole vessels stringers ect have to be re nogged.
Nina was built in 1928 for a race from New York to Spain

Another case for N.Z. to have DSC.

Nina was equipped with a satellite phone, a spot beacon which allowed regular tracking signals to be sent manually, and an emergency beacon. The beacon had not been activated.

The emergency beacon, located in the cabin, was likely to be a hydrostatic release beacon, he said. This meant it would either need to be manually released, or it would go off when it got wet.

Is your point that a a further or different device/button would have been of assistance in whatever situation they unfortunately seem to have found themselves in?

AND the Fiji race was finishing around the time these guys left NZ....

Good call David...

IS Stick to farming in Morrinsville.

Not accordingly to this article.

David Dyche 58, his wife Rosemary, 60, and their 17-year-old son, also named David, left the Bay of Islands aboard their 21m schooner Nina on May 29. They were heading for Newcastle, Australia, with a 35-year-old British man and three other Americans - a woman, 18, a man, 28 and Evi Nemeth, 73.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10893482

ST

Crew org David is missing at sea he will not be able to receive my e-mail..

ST

ST David came back last week. Did you not notice it was him who asked you for the email?

You are correct on the dates (I'd mixed them up), the 4th was when they were in trouble, so they missed the really big storm by even more... And Heading to Fiji is not the same as heading to Ausy.

I am David, please email me and I will be blocking you from any more posts till I hear from you.