Sign in to follow this  

How a 2:1 halyard works

Warlord, only the friction in the blocks and line running around the blocks and I suppose a minute amount of inertia would do that. But if we are looking at just the Sail load and assume no losses for the point of the exercise, then no. The Halyard Line is simply a transference of Sail load.

Wheels

The load cell at the mast head should be a fixed point. It is a constant in both examples.

Put your load cells on the halyard section either side of the fixed point and see if the readings are the same. Then add the 2:1 on the sail side and measure again.

The measurement you are trying to obtain is the compression on the mast by the halyard, all other forces are the same and should be ignored for the sake of this discussion and BOOBOO's sanity.

We have a terminology or definition break down going on here people.

No ones wrong but then knot everyone is talking about the same thing... or the same 'load' in this case.

:oops: I think in my excitment I have misunderstood what you guys are trying to describe. :oops:

That pic IT now shows me what you are trying to describe and you are indeed correct.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and argument.