try to wait for a south west to blow you up there, the tri can stay on my mooring for a while,I had one of those hartly tris for a while and a pretty rough and ugly one too, screwed some sheets of ply on the cabin top so we wouldn,t fall thru the roof. it took us on a few good holidays out to the barrier and back with lots of wind behind us tho, it can,t be all bad if it has been around for 45 years and its still sailing, or at least floating twice a day!

left whangarei with www.wind.co.nz telling me it was about 25 knots from the north east and seeming okay and according to various other sites through the day peaking about 35 ish not allowing for gusts, got there and listened to now casting and sure enough in the 2 hour trip metservice was right. so we called it off, plans are in 3 - 4 weeks time, probably just in time for the next bad cycle to come through.

boat looks good, needs a good deal of tidy up work above the water line, float switch in bilge was jambed so she had a bit of water down inside, but inspection revealed it was the cockpit drains not quite making it outside the hull, so i'll be hoping thats sorted before the trip... but otherwise a good flexible boat, as you said TL she still floats twice a day, and the rigging looks pretty mint so that should stay up on the trip, like all older boats, just a little rough around the edges, a quick tidy up and she'll be away cruising the Bay of Islands in no time =)

Glad to hear you are still head above water, Quismiff.

I was sitting at a house overlooking Ngunguru Bay late on Saturday arvo and hoping you were not still out there - pretty unfriendly conditions. For what it's worth, it looked like the swells were spreading and radiating out to fill all corners of the bay and the surfers were certainly heading out with a great deal of enthusiasm. Looked pretty unfriendly all the way down the coast actually.

Good decision, do it on the right day and you will have a very enjoyable trip.

• 3 weeks later...

hopefully this weekend, looks like sunday, 10 - 20 and from the east its been a mish with timetabling 4 people that we're all free at the same time, i don't envy the skippers of friday rums and weekend races... although i'm glad i'm not organising the people =P

• 3 weeks later...

what a hell mish that was!!! 26 hours to whangarei town basin... is that some kind of record?? :think:

started out great, reach out of the harbour, tight reach to tiri, and all going well, by kauwau however the wind decided it was going to bugger off... at this time it was also starting to get dark... so on the outboard goes, but can only run it at about quater to a half throttle because it only just had the water intake in the drink... so it was a slow trudge up and took hours to pass the island, layered up the socks and pants and shirts and set in for a cold night on deck, cat napped between turns on the helm, and at about 2am the easterly came in (wtf they said southerlies :think: ) and then about mangawhai i must have fallen asleep because i wake up with tiller in hand and heading straight for shore... ah theres that southerly, so a quick adjustment of the sails and pointing the right direction we mozy on for whangarei, atleast we won't need the motor again... right... right... so the wind hearing my thoughts decides to fizzle away to something resembling the breath of an asthmatic trying to run a marathon... motor back on and the lights of the refinery still only just on the horizon i decided to nap on deck, and i think the stand in helmsman did too, cos i woke up to the other sleeping crew member crawling out of the cabin wondering who was actually in control ( hmmm safety at sea? ) so bloody cold i wouldn't expect there to be anyone out there anyway... but glad there wasn't, and there isn't much in the way of sharp black pointy bits to get in the way... my turn below about sunrise, just opposite waipu, woke up well into the morning only just getting into the harbour, after that the southerly really turned it on for us and after a short quick motor we pretty much sailed the entire way to the port road bridge... ahwell, you can't win em all, was still a fun trip, longest coast trip since my coastal classic on prowler :P

hes now got the old girl out of the water and will be powering away on her to get her ready for summer :)

i promise to work on the story telling skills also, i have a long way to go before i'm at KMs level =P