Solo trans tasman

how many of you have the 1000???
I haven't read the exact wording but if it's along the lines of 'Have you and your boat shared more than 1000nm of sailing delight together' then I can say, Oh yes that many times over.

No idea and mine says it was rude of me to ask but seeing I did, No she hasn't done 1000nm in one go.... that she can remember.

But then with her history of drug and alcohol abuse that's no surprise.

Hi everyone,

I have just had a chat with Richard the race Secretary about qualifiers ect turns out I was reading the whole thing wrong and the 1000 miles they talk about doesn't have to be recorded just the 500 which is going to save me a lot of time off work!!!

Going to be a very good race by the sound of it!!

Good to see another yacht the closer to Ant size enter!!!!

Been busy with work, but was also going to post I'd spoken to race organisers, and they were perfectly happy with a planned 500nm Passage from Nelson up the west coast & back.

But now with no rig on the boat it will be a slow trip!! :cry:

I was going to do white island but my entry has been declined because I am doing it solo. This is because I can't keep look out all the time. on their rule ever solo race in the would shouldn't take place. Doing my qualifier in December now.

i'm idly researching a boat that was designed for the trans-tasman yacht race

the race that existed before the solo trans-tasman

and came across some interesting stuff that may as well go in this thread in case anyone goes searching for history

1. a short film in the national film archive

PERSONAL RECORD. WATHEN, SAM. 1948 TRANS-TASMAN YACHT RACE

Reference number:F59185

Type:Moving Image

Year:1948

Duration:0:12:30

Category:Amateur

Place of origin:New Zealand

Description

Title '1948 Trans-Tasman Yacht Race'. Views of yachts and small craft in Auckland harbour. Woman and baby. Intertitle 'They're Off'. Intertitle 'Turrewa III Melbourne'. Views of yachts. Women on shore wave to yachts. Intertitle 'Wayfarer, Sydney'. Intertitle 'Rangi, Auckland'. Intertitle 'Passing Down Rangitoto Channel'. Intertitle 'Peer Gynt, Sydney'. Intertitle 'Pagan, Maine, U.S.A.'. Intertitle 'Drifter, Auckland'. Intertitle 'Bon Voyage'. Group of people on boat, men having a beer. View of crew on yacht Peer Gynt. Group of people on shore looking out to sea. Group looking at map on lookout point. Group of people on board launch. Navy ship in harbour. Various views of small craft on harbour. Man with armload of bottles. Two men reading newspaper. Yachts sailing out of harbour. Man drinking from glass on board boat.

2. 1951 newspaper

TRANS - TASMAN

YACHT RACE

HOBART- The first of three

New Zealand yachts to com

pete in the trans-Tasman race

from Hobart on January 5

reached Hobart yesterday from

Auckland after an 18-day bat

tle with head winds. She was

Mr. J. Wollacott's 33-ft. ketch

Ladybird, which will contest

the trans-Tasman event with

five other yachts, two more

from New Zealand and three

from Australia. Ladybird

carries a crew of six, inclu

ding the skipper's 16-year-old

sister. Miss Madge Wolacott.

Another New Zealand entrant

Gesture is due at any time

and the Bounty is expected

soon afterwards.

Three Australian yachts, in

cluding two from Sydney now

competing in the Sydney-Ho

bart race are expected to con

test the event.

3. The first race, from Auckland to Sydney, was sailed in 1931 and was won by the visiting Norwegian cutter Teddy. In 1934 the cup was contested by the German yawl Te Rapunga and the New Zealand cutter Ngataki in a race to Melbourne, a distance of 1,630 miles, the former winning in the slowest time to date, 19 days. On the third occasion (1938) of the race, the two contestants withdrew, the schooner Aurora Star proceeding to Lord Howe Island and the disabled 36 ft cutter Wayfarer making her way back to the New Zealand coast, reaching Whangaroa Harbour in a sinking condition. The cup has been contested four times since 1945, the last race being held from Auckland to Sydney in 1961. The fleet of 15 yachts was the largest to date.

In 1951 an ocean race was sailed from Wellington to Lyttelton in connection with the Canterbury centennial. Leaving Wellington on 21 January in bad conditions, the 22 yachts faced a severe southerly gale, which resulted in the withdrawal of nearly the whole fleet. The Wellington cutter Astral was dismasted; the 26 ft Nelson cutter Husky and the 30 ft Wellington cutter Argo were lost with all hands. The toll of 10 lives in this race constitutes the worst disaster in New Zealand yachting history. The winner, and only boat to finish, was the cutter Tawhiri, of Nelson.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/1966/yachting/page-3

4. 1948 newspaper

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2736960

PEER GYNT WINS

TRANS-TASMAN *

YACHT RACEF

SYDNEY, Thursday.

Peer Gynt, the 30ft. cutter, has

been declared winner of the Trans-

Tasman yacht 'race.

Peer Gynt was second to Kurrowa

III, but won the race on handicaps.

Other placings have not yet been an-

nounced.

'The winner will receive £100 and

the trans-Tasman Cup.

No further information has been

received trom Rangi, beward, Tahon

gi and Pagan.

The Teddy was lost near Kawau later on. The guy wrote a book about their trip from Norway, it was an excellent read but i haven't seen a copy in decades.

Re STT - I have pulled the plug. I had set a budget, extended it, then when it blew past the extended limit I gave up. the final straw was the Cat 1 medical kit. All up it was going to be over IT's 10k, I could do it, but just couldn't see the sense in it. It's not like I haven't crossed the tasman before.

Erling Tambs. They stowed their anchor for sea and sailing past Challenger Island by Kawau, the wind dropped, current got him and washed them ashore. Chilling read really , he passed his baby to his wife on the rocks. The boat , Teddy, was a total loss.

The Teddy was lost near Kawau later on. The guy wrote a book about their trip from Norway, it was an excellent read but i haven't seen a copy in decades.

Re STT - I have pulled the plug. I had set a budget, extended it, then when it blew past the extended limit I gave up. the final straw was the Cat 1 medical kit. All up it was going to be over IT's 10k, I could do it, but just couldn't see the sense in it. It's not like I haven't crossed the tasman before.

Since I wrote that I was contacted off the forum by someone who is looking at putting together a Cat 1 medical kit for hire. Cheap as chips (close to $1 per day and replace what you use). Bloody brilliant methinks.

just looked at the offical site for the solo tasman race, and noticed there is only 18 boats entered now, that means there has been 6 pull out in the last 2 months. also means there is now spaces available for others to get a late entry in..!!

anyone ?

That's pretty normal, my guess is 10-12 boats will actually go - same as last time. In 2010, the entry list was full (20 odd), about 10 on the waiting list. 10 or 12 of us actually started....

Archived