2013-14 Hauraki Singlehanded Series

Richmond

The Hauraki Singlehanded Series is back for 2013-14!

Come experience the fun and challenge of racing likeminded skippers in the 2nd annual Hauraki Singlehanded Series.

This year Richmond YC, Weiti BC, Buckland Beach YC, Devonport YC, and SSANZ are joining to bring you a series of fun and challenging singlehanded races. There are now 7 races, 5 of which you need to complete to score in the series.

You get to choose what to race - events vary from harbour races to a fun weekend away to the grueling 66nm singlehanded division in the Route66.

Details can be found on the HSS website:

http://richmondyc.org.nz/racing/info/ha ... ed-series/

Details will be added over the next week - keep checking back and get your entry in - only 20$ to join in on the fun.

The race schedule is below - first race is at Weiti on October 13th - get your entries in!

Race / Date / Host Club / Event

1 / 13 Oct 2013 / WBC / Singlehanded #1

2 / 3 Nov 2013 / RYC Singlehanded Race

3 / 1 Dec 2013 / BBYC Singlehanded Series 1

4 / 1 Feb 2014 / BBYC Singlehanded Series 2 (weekend event)

5 / 2 Feb 2014 / BBYC Singlehanded Series 3 (weekend event)

6 / 7 Mar 2014 / RYC/SSANZ Singlehanded Division, Route 66

7 / 12 Apr 2014 / DYC Singlehanded Race

Who's racing the Hauraki Singlehanded Series this year?

We responded to the feedback from last year and have refined the series for 2013-14:

- 7 events, 2 drops

- Evenly spaced throughout the season

- Route66 singlehanded division is on again

- One catchall division, club and PHRF handicapping

- Still cheap as chips (20$)

- Still no need to beg for crew

And, yes, still a huge personal achievement to race the series!

Last year we upped numbers at all races - this year we hope to do the same. The more skippers we get involved the better the event will become. See you out there - RB

Thanks to Weiti BC, Richmond YC, Bucklands Beach YC, SSANZ, and Devonport YC for their continuing support. If you want to help grow the series please spread the word and get the flyer out to your club's website and postings:

http://richmondyc.org.nz/wp-content/upl ... 5_LRES.jpg

The first race in the 2013-14 HSS is Race 1 in the Weiti Boating Club‘s Shorthanded Series on October 13th. The NOR and other information is posted on the RYC HSS webpage and will be available from Weiti BC before the race – word is that the start will be from Arkles Bay at 1300, you’ll likely have to take your own finish times.

Last year they sent us around McKenzie Buoy and the Haystack before we turned into a grueling beat back to Arkles. This is a great chance for the Auckland townies to mix with the dedicated shorthanders up North on their home waters.

A reminder that you will need to enter both the HSS (details above) and each individual race to compete in the HSS. Entries for the individual races are to be lodged with the host clubs, not RYC. You can pay your fees via bank transfer (see HSS webpage for details)

Entries to WBC need to be in prior to the race start and the single day’s race will cost $15. If you want to race all of the WBC’s excellent summer shorthanded events pony up $50 for their series.

Spied from a secret location in Arkles Bay, 6 boats set off in the first singled handed race of the series, doing course 10,

Start, Southern Long Bay Marker, Tiri Channel Navy Bouy, finish, approx 13.6nm.

Moderate wind and flat water, just after the start Tiri was16 and 23 from240, some bigger puffs about and some boats going more conservative than others with reefs and not getting the furling head sails out until after the gun.

Noted a certain Ross and young 88 paying particular attention to each other :lol: :lol:

Race 1 in the Hauraki Singlehanded Series went off on Sunday - from Arkles Bay, run by Weiti BC. StephenC was out on the start boat and got some great pics:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23104

6 starters, 5 HSS entrants from the city - where were the local boats?

Dolphins visited while we toodled around in the pre-race. A mix of setups on the go - some with reefs, I went with a full main and a #2 given the dying breeze and the reaching/downwind first 2/3rds of the race.

Somehow I got the course wrong and hurridly switched my kite setup in the prestart, then tussled with Heaven'n'Hell at the line as noted above, crossed nearly on time and headed down and off to Haystack, kite almost on the hoist, only to see the whole fleet charging to the first mark on a reach. Decided the likely answer was I got it wrong and changed course. Spent the leg working on speed, closing the gap, and swithcing the kite back to SB hoist.

First around was Latitide, followed closelly by Heaven and Hell, Crocodile, with Revolution Blues, and Blazin White round next, follwed by the Reactor Wishbone. Latitude headed down to get into a wing and wing and Crocodile, Heaven'n'Hell, and Revolution Blues got kites up. I got blown over a few times in the gusts (somewhere in the 20s I would guess) before settling down. Crocodile surfed ahead and I put some time into Heaven'n'Hell, all got around Latitude. In the back both Blazin White and Wishbone opted for no extras. I hit 10kn in a puff but mostly it was not enough to get really surfing in earnest. Looked to me like nice drops from the three leaders with no drama.

Crocodile was first around the second mark, several minutes ahead of Heaven'n'Hell, Revolution Blues, and Latitude. Upwind was a choice between more wind vs. smoother seas toward land. I split tacks with Heaven'n'Hell and went out, Crocodile going out early but then heading in with Heaven'n'Hell slowly overtaking. When we came back together it was Heaven'n'Hell in front followed by Revolution Blues, Crocodile and Latitude in a bunch, with Crocodile having to dip Latitude at the next cross. From there we all processed to finish within minutes of each other, Heaven'n'Hell on line, followed by Revolution Blues, Latiutude and Crocodile. Blazin White and Wishbone were a few mintues behind and I've not heard who was next across.

Thanks to WBC for oganising the race and the keen racers who came out. Next race is the RichmondYC singlehanded race (no extras race run from Westhaven) on November 3rd. We're happy to accept late entries so get yours in soon!

The second race in the Hauraki Singlehanded Series is Richmond YC’s singlehanded race on 3 Nov 2013.

RYC’s singlehanded race is run from Westhaven ODM, is a harbour course, and is NO EXTRAS – please keep your kites in the bag. This makes it a great introduction to singlehanded racing and levels the field for bigger boats and less experienced skippers.

UPDATE1: The race is on the same day as the Auckland Marathon this year – and there will be road closures and significant congestion around Westhaven. Please plan ahead to ensure you are not held up.

UPDATE2: As the C and D disvisions race different courses all HSS boats should enter and race in division C unless notified otherwise.

For the latest please see http://richmondyc.org.nz/racing/info/ha ... ed-series/

Details on the next Race:

Keep up to date on the HSS page: http://richmondyc.org.nz/racing/info/ha ... ed-series/

The third race in the 2013-14 Hauraki Singlehanded Series is the first race in the BBYC's "BJ Tyres" singlehanded series on November 24th, starting at 1PM. Last year there were over 20 boats on the line and it was a highlight of the year. For more information please check out the HSS page.

This is a race around Motuihe, starting at Motukorea beacon area with both open and restricted categories. All HSS boats should enter the OPEN division. To get a copy of the BBYC sailing instructions you will have to front up at the club.

This is the last race to enter the HSS before the drops will affect your series score, so get your entry in! We will accept late entries straight straight through the series and backdate results so long as you are series compliant. But please get your series in - supports singlehanded racing and only costs 20$ after all. After the next race it will become more and more a fee to join the party at the end!

UPDATE: Please note that the HSS NOR has the date wrong - the race is on November 24th as per the BBYC NOR.

Next race is the BBYC Singlehanded Race on Nov 24th

The third race in the 2013-14 Hauraki Singlehanded Series is the first race in the BBYC’s “BJ Tyres” singlehanded series on November 24th, starting at 1PM. Last year there were over 20 boats on the line and it was a highlight of the year.

We are still accepting entries and you won't loose out on series points if race the rest of the events...

Please note that the HSS NOR has the date wrong - the race is on November 24th as per the BBYC NOR. More info on the HSS page:

2013-14 Hauraki Single Handed Series

Race 3 Report

24 November 2013

Race 3 of the Hauraki Single Handed Series was the first race of the B J Tyres Single Handed Series hosted by Bucklands Beach Yacht Club. Fantastic weather and light winds greeted the fleet for a relaxed 1pm start off Motukorea. The combined start was made up of a restricted and an open division totalling 13 boats all in the 25-30 footer range. The course was around Motuhie to Starboard, Northern Leading to Port and finish back at Motukorea. There was a reasonably steady 5 knot breeze coming out of the North-West so the first leg was going to be a comfortable lay through off the start with the kite up on Port.

For those in the open division it proved advantageous to go bare-headed for manoeuvrability in the pre-start, with kite and pole rigged up to pop the chute on the final approach a few seconds before the gun. I opted to start to windward at the pin, matching Costra Nosa who was slightly to windward with both of us pulling off synchronised hoists on the gun. Crocodile also did a nice set towards the middle of the line with The Bondi Tram two sailing to leeward of Crocodile and Bandicoot executing good time on distance hitting the boat end at a hot angle with pace in the restricted division.

The five of us showed pretty similar boat speed past Browns Island until the wind clocked aft. Crocodile and The Bondi Tram gybed over but looked like an ugly angle and in less pressure. Cosa Nostra was sticking with me with the pole squared aft and heading towards Islington Bay. Kiteless Bandicoot was forced to sail a really hot angle to windward of us to keep the boat-speed happening. I gybed back onto starboard to stay in the out-going tide and on what I thought was an easy layline to the Motuhie channel marker, but the breeze went even further to the left making it tighter than it needed to be (but fast). Cosa Nostra pulled off a better gybe and sling-shotted in front. Crocodile and The Bondi Tram sadly got hung out to dry under Browns Island, having to grovel downwind at a deeper angle and in soft pressure. Nek puff and I sailed over the top of Cosa Nostra just before the Channel.

Shot through Motuhie channel hugging the Port channel markers with the outgoing tide starting to pick up and Cosa Nostra about 50m astern. Beyond the Motuhie Port channel stick the angle looked tight so conservatively dropped the kite abeam of it. Cosa Nostra tried to hang on a bit longer but was getting driven off shore and ultimately didn’t gain anything. Bandicoot was doing well and rounded a few minutes later. By now the rest of the fleet was too small to make out, they must have really got hurt during the wind shift and lack of pressure.

The rest of the race was a bit of a soldier’s course. I put two tacks in around the back of Motuhie Island to keep out of the outgoing tide and try and take advantage of any possible shore line wind bend. When Cosa Nostra tacked back any advantage made was offset by the two extra tacks. The wind picked up to about 10-15 knots – right at the top end of the number 1 but not worth changing down. I slowly extended on Cosa Nostra upwind back to Northern Leading but maintained distance on Bandicoot. No issues except Rikki lee-bowing me on their way to the finish from the Around White Island Race - those guys must stink by now. Set up the kite to go around Northern Leading but way too tight and didn’t even hoist, a nice two-sail cruise to the finish with Cosa Nostra 200m back and Bandicoot another 100m behind.

Well done to Marshy on Cosa Nostra 2nd on line and 1st on handicap and Ken on Bandicoot – 3rd on line over-all and easily getting the handicap win in the restricted division. A great tribute to the Young 88 taking out all three podium places.

I would like to thank Kevin Glover from B J Tyres for sponsoring this series for many years and putting on the BBQ back at BBYC, we all look forward to your wonderful hospitality for the Waiheke Classic & Return (race 4 and 5 of the Hauraki Single Handed Series) on 1-2 February 2014.

Photo credits go to Vaughn Clark from Sweeney Todd.

For full results please see http://www.bbyc.org.nz/results/single%201.pdf

Heaven ‘n’ Hell

photo.JPG

photo (1).JPG

Mate it was a blimen awesome race! For my first sail in the new boat single handed (After sailing Mercenary up and down the coast numerous times single handed!). I was going to go Restricted division just to have a play with the new boat, but over a pre-start dockside beer Chris talked me into Open Division, and it was great.

A really cool course which gave us a bit of everything, tested out the Gybing skills, and all sorts. - Turns out i need longer kite sheets so i can drop the kite without having to go to the bow though! - That cost me on HnH. But a great tussle between the Heaven n Hell and Cosa Nostra. And am pretty happy with how the boat went full for my first race single handed in it! Certainly is a bit different to Mercenary and will take a bit of tweaking..

See you all in February for the weekend away, might try do some more single handed if i get time and the Partner isnt away cruising!

Thanks Kevin and BJ Tyres for once again putting on a great show - How many sponsors actually sponsor an event, then go out on their own boats and do the start, finish and results, then rush back to hand out bottles of rum for prizes and cook a BBQ for the sailors? Awesome effort so thanks heaps...

Argh, it was hard seeing you guys sail away after Croc and Bondi gybed south. Plan was to meet the better winds from south after a bit of a knock but that did not happen! Never going to catch up after that although I do not think you extended too much. Bit of a tussle keeping the Bondi and someone else at bay all the way from Motuihe but managed to do so. Well done to the leading bunch and BBYC, good day out.

Mate it was a blimen awesome race! For my first sail in the new boat single handed (After sailing Mercenary up and down the coast numerous times single handed!). I was going to go Restricted division just to have a play with the new boat, but over a pre-start dockside beer Chris talked me into Open Division, and it was great.

A really cool course which gave us a bit of everything, tested out the Gybing skills, and all sorts. - Turns out i need longer kite sheets so i can drop the kite without having to go to the bow though! - That cost me on HnH. But a great tussle between the Heaven n Hell and Cosa Nostra. And am pretty happy with how the boat went full for my first race single handed in it! Certainly is a bit different to Mercenary and will take a bit of tweaking..

See you all in February for the weekend away, might try do some more single handed if i get time and the Partner isnt away cruising!

Thanks Kevin and BJ Tyres for once again putting on a great show - How many sponsors actually sponsor an event, then go out on their own boats and do the start, finish and results, then rush back to hand out bottles of rum for prizes and cook a BBQ for the sailors? Awesome effort so thanks heaps...

So if 1 pre-race dockside beer is enough to twist your rubber arm from restricted to open division,

will 2 beers get you to enter the Hauraki Single Handed Series?

3 beers for the Route 66 Marsden Cove Race?

You get 2 drops so its not too late to put together a competitive series....better book the boat before your other half claims it for cruising :lol:

So if 1 pre-race dockside beer is enough to twist your rubber arm from restricted to open division,

will 2 beers get you to enter the Hauraki Single Handed Series?

3 beers for the Route 66 Marsden Cove Race?

You get 2 drops so its not too late to put together a competitive series....better book the boat before your other half claims it for cruising :lol:

Bottle of Rum for the Route66 :)

Archived