Hatch Identification

Grinna

OK, I was hoping to tap into the collective wisdom and see if any of you clever buggers can identify the hatches on our boat.

The boat was launched in 1988 and I've seen the same or similar hatches on Cav 45s from that era so I'm sure they were used on a variety of boats around that time. The handle latches engage with "ramps" which are riveted onto the hatch frame. On two of the hatches the "ramps" have sheared off the rivets due to corrosion by the looks of it. Seeing as these hatches are getting on for 22 years old it'd be nice to be able to source parts for them, but to do that we need to know what brand they are.

So, can any of you clever buggers identify these hatches?

The second photo shows one of the "ramps" on the left hand side, while the one on the right hand side is missing ... its in the 3rd photo.

Cheers

O Oh! Time for new ones and I will bet my boots no one makes exactly that size anymore.

It is hard enough to get parts for the newer model hatches. Sorry to be so negative but in the end it will be easier to get new hatches though you may have to modify the holes. :(

Another vote for your hatch being a Weaver, and another vote for Clive at Cule Hatches/Wahoo Marine in West Auckland. He is often more responsive at supplying other brands spare parts than the original manufacturers are - you could set up a race and report back on who comes through first!

If you ever need a replacement, Clive generally has stock versions matching all the popular sizes through the years. And if it comes down to it, his custom hatches stack up pretty well price-wise - certainly no need to modify the boat to suit the hatch.

And no one gets the prize so far

They are Lewmar Super hatches haven't been made since 1985 and no longer supported there is no spares available world wide what so ever now sorry. We will do deals on swapping your hatches out if you come and see us just give me a PM as the existing hatches will fit the same cut outs.

Cheers

Blair

Thanks for all the help people.

Turns out that identifying the hatches doesn't really help us as they're no longer made, etc. We're hoping to avoid replacing the hatches at this stage ... they don't leak, they're working fine, etc. I was looking toward getting in some spares to keep them all going, but that doesn't sound possible. Bit of a bugger that a well-made bit of kit can't be maintained with parts to ensure it keeps going. Planned redundancy perhaps?

I contacted Clive at Cule and he was very helpful ... couldn't help with parts, but talked about replacements and of course, there have been a couple of other offers for hatch replacements too.

Would prefer to keep the current hatches while they're operating well and if/when they become a liability we'll look at replacing them then.

If it's only a few parts and the hatches are fine what about speaking to Send It to see if his fancy CNC gear can slice you just the replacement bits? Once it's sorted he could bang out some spares as well.

Not a bad idea KM. There are a bunch of these hatches on boats from the mid to late 80s about. They may pop up on Trademe from time to time. I'll keep an eye out. Failing that, it might eb cheaper to get some talented machinist to make something up custom ... if CNC programs can be built then you can make them as you need.

Might be cheaper than replacing the hatch.

BTW KM .... send my bloody parrot back would ya?!

After my wonderful wife did some surfing on the internet, she found a place in the US called Select Plastics who do the hatch catch we were looking for, along with hinge kits and seals. I've emailed them to see if they have a dealer in NZ, or if we can buy direct from them.

Not bad eh :) Don't ya just love the interweb! :)

Not a bad idea KM.

The odd one does pop out now and again. Your just lucky it's May so I was due for one. Another coming in November all going well ;)

Nice interwebbing Mrs Grinna. To pick something somewhat obscure like that then find it is a magnificent effort. It's no wonder I hear Grinna is only the brawn and she is the brains that's aims said brawn :lol:

Post a link in Tech Talk if they turn out to be the right stuff Grinna. As you point out, there are lots of boats around with various hatches that are still functioning but missing the odd part here and there.

Not a bad idea KM.

The odd one does pop out now and again. Your just lucky it's May so I was due for one. Another coming in November all going well ;)

:wtf:

Once I get the buzz on these guys I'll post a link Murky.

Your just lucky it's May

Yeah, I spotted that too .... but figured I'd take pity on the old fella and leave it alone. But now that you mention it .... :wink:

At this rate you and I will be off on our Christmas cruises while he is still wrapping up his November job list.

Although to be fair, he is perfectly capable of hiding a joke within a joke like that. I just don't think he intended to on this occasion. :roll:

Although to be fair, he is perfectly capable of hiding a joke within a joke like that. I just don't think he intended to on this occasion. :roll:

Ya reckon? It's taken me 10 minutes to work out what you were meaning. I think you confuse what may seem deliberate with the strange workings of of the damn near perfect clusterfuck that resides in my head :wink:

Damn, it's June isn't it :? An idea and now a bath as well, all in the same month. No bloody wonder is seems so busy :lol:

After my wonderful wife did some surfing on the internet, she found a place in the US called Select Plastics who do the hatch catch we were looking for, along with hinge kits and seals. I've emailed them to see if they have a dealer in NZ, or if we can buy direct from them.

Not bad eh :) Don't ya just love the interweb! :)

I need one of the "ramp" corner plastic fittings. Existing one has lost one of its Locking curve ridges. Lewmar no longer make that part. Current hatches have gone to "straight" clamping parts.

Let me know how you get on and happy if you get me one as well.

Archived