sailing from mangonui to kerikeri inlet - tips?

when i was researching wee schooners i learned about a "fisherman" sail

high up between the masts

you can see it dotted on the sinope plans

if it didn't come with one it's something you could add when you got comfortable with the schooner rig

pic here of 1 in use on a grand banks 28

Grand-Banks-28---sailplan.gif

Can't answer till I try it, but I've seen Ponsonby Scow fly one while racing. The nice thing is the boat performs just fine with working sails (passing boats under power while sailing in 6-8 kn true is a kick), so anything else is just for fun.

We run a mizzen staysail on our ketch, something about where the sail is means it seems to punch well above its weight. Really easy to set and get down right in the centre of the boat... so much so we hardly ever bother with the gennaker anymore. Its our go to sail perhaps a fraction forward of the beam (if its light) through to about 165 say.

80/ 20 sail. 80 % of the result for 20 % of the effort.

erice, the japan/nz plan is off...

I was looking at a PIC that showed typhoon paths around southern Japan for the last 25? Years

With about 25? A year the 750 tracks virtually blanked the screen

I'd want to make that trip very carefully down through the Philippines etc, never too far from a safe harbour

But even then with the 6m storm surge from that last phippines typhoon pushing big boats on shore like a tsunami it could get exciting

u're right. lots of typhoons there. on the way up, we met the first two in the season. the first one arrived 8 hours after we did in okinawa, right on spot. the second, even more vicious, followed us from afar as we headed up the southern part of japan proper; fortunately we parted ways and it went to the pacific side and we went into the sea of japan. still, we were seeing 30+ knots winds on the meter.