sailing from mangonui to kerikeri inlet - tips?

As the others have said, do it in two days with a stop at either the Cavallis or just inside the Whangaroa entrance. Through the Cavalli Passage (ie inside the islands) is shorter and more scenic - the way through is relatively easy if you know how to read a chart or use a GPS. As you head further down on the second day, don't stick too close to shore as there are some rocks off the northern side of the Purerua Peninsula (in saying that you would need to be quite close in for them to give you any problems). There's plenty of water inside the ninepin rather than having to go around the outside. Howe Rock sits off Howe Point once you're in the Bay, but you will be easily outside that. Stay outside Motuterakihi and the Te Pahi Islands, inside the Black Rocks, keep an eye on the Brothers (isolated danger mark) as you enter the Kerikeri / Te Puna inlets and you're home and hosed. Hook up to your mooring and have a rum....

Yes - file a trip report with Coastguard and don't forget to close it off each night. It only takes a minute.

It's a great little sail that one - have fun!

thanks all for the very, very useful info and advices. now i've got the route in the GPS and re-checked the points too. my plan is if i can get to whangaroa before 1:30 i will skip and head for cavalli, which is about halfway, and anchor there.

question: what does "breezes" mean in the met forecasts? a guy told me it meant 15 knots mol. is that about right?

cheers! joseph

Hi ,

I have stayed overnight at all the anchorages shown in Jon's (Danaide ) emails --all are great --my favourite was out at the Cavailli .

I had a 1020 in those days and easily did BOI to well inside Whangaroa in a day but l was in cruising mode (and with that the motor came on easily )--havent done the bit from Whangaroa to Mongonui yet but the people l talk to say its a long day from mongonui to BOI in a small boat --l would listen to the advice provided and do an overnight somewhere and my choice would be the cavalli option .

I also use the i-pad navionics Jon has shown and when its overlaid with google earth is a great support in sussing out where to spend the night (and back up any other GPS/Chartplotter ).

Enjoy the trip .

Andrew

TRIP REPORT :D

hello all, we made the trip! it was a long day, and we eventually did not make any stopovers, as circumstances allowed, and i and my crew had other things to do the next day.

we started at 5:30 am on saturday at mill bay, mangonui harbour. we had to do it early to beat the tide which would come in at 7. there were moderate winds but sometimes we had to motor a bit. when we passed whangaroa it was just around noon. the weather was good, and we sailed on. at 3 we were at the entrance of the cavalli passage. so we decided we could make it. then at 5 or so, the winds piped up and we had 15-18 knots gusting 20 for the next four hours. the boat handled well. it was a gaff-rigged schooner, wooden with wooden masts, and bilge keels. so all three sails were up and it was doing like 6 knots, with the helm a bit heavy at times with winds mostly from the beam and aft (no autopilot). we had a minor mishap just when passing the rocks as we turn into the BOI -- the main sheet cleat block got pulled off. fortunately we were careful to have turned the engine on before the passing. when we came into the inlet area it was already dark, and we fumbled our way and ended up grabbing the tallest mooring buoy which belonged to one of my kind neighbors. on shore at 11:30 pm, it was an 18-hour thing. great trip, though it wasn't quite 15 knots broad reaching all the way.

i want to thank all of you for giving me sound advice and encouragement! joseph