Budget offshore cruiser - Farr 1104?

Bushpeople

Hi.

I'm looking for a yacht in the 35-38 ft range that could be taken offshore (in a few years). I'd like to avoid steel, orphans and plywood.

It seems like Farr 1104s fit the budget, look livable enough, GRP, and a few have been offshore. But originally a racer, so I'm not sure how twitchy they would be. Anybody have experience of cruising further afield in one of these?

A Pacific 38 would be nice, but they are more expensive and the ones I looked are equipped with ancient gear and needed lot of development.

Cheers

Actually I really like the Lotus 10.6. Would prefer one over an 1104 any day. But my budget won't stretch I don't think - although I had a look at one for $75k the other day which would just about do it. Right at the bottom end of what they go for though, and that always brings compromises.

My concerns about twitchiness and sturdiness for offshore are with both the 10.6 and the 1104. My kids are currently 5 and 7, so I need a few years yet. But still plan to cruise with youngish kids.

Good work, I appreciate it. Had spotted some of the same ones!

- Cav 39 - shoal draft so that went off the list (otherwise great though)

- Robertson 36 - OK, but as a one-off I might get stuck with it one day. Wood OK but I'd prefer glass, and some of the exterior woodwork looks like work required

- Young 37 - probably the pick of the bunch for me. 15hp a bit under-powered though, and my wife wants a double quarter berth and an oven. Hard to please everyone!

- Demon 10 - although smallish I reckon I could own one of these. Well known design, a few have been offshore

I expect the decks of the wooden boats are plywood. Recently sold a D28 with ply decks, which was OK but unable to withstand a dropped winch handle or something.

This is the 1104 I spotted

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 343264.htm

Hi there. I'd go cav 36 all the way. Deep safe cockpit, big volume, small main for reefing, cutter rig, nearly 50% ballast ratio, they Handle all the crusing gear better than an 1104 or the10.6 do, less bangy upwind and they can very happily do 160-180nm a day.

The 1104 are very fine up front and the coach roof tapers heavily which means no headroom. The lotus has a fat bum and relatively shallow Draft which makes them quiet lively for offshore.

Not knocking either just think they are more of a Gulf cruiser than a offshore boat.

The cav also has a big anchor locker to carry the 60mtrs of chain you need , mine comes standard with 320ltrs of water dad's one had 600ltrs!

We saw the iriginal Imp sailing out of Russell last week - looked absolutely mint - well done to whoever is responsible for her. Great boats but yes a little smaller than the others.

Been offshore in an 1104 and they handle it well.

But, I'd go for something that has more load carrying ability and that was more balanced on the helm if I was wanting to cruise with the family

You have a full time job helming an 1104, but then again we were racing ?

Cav 36 or 39

Beale 35

Pacific 38

Davidson 35

Farr 38

To mention a few

Don't let asking price put you off, there are some good deals out there

Great advice on the Cav 36. Found one advertised in Picton - http://www.tradeaboat.co.nz/detail/mari ... r/36/73706. But I was at that broker last week and they never mentioned it, so I assume it is sold. Looks like that would definitely do the the job nicely, and somebody else obviously thought so too (has circumnavigated). Might be a bit harder to track one down, not so common as the others.

And for something completely different - Chieftain 38... http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 279493.htm. Looked over it in Picton last week. My wife gets more than a double quarterberth, it's a whole cabin. But it looks funny. And fell off its cradle at some stage, professionally repaired though. Like the Cav 36, over $80k so probably should stop thinking about it

Been offshore in an 1104 and they handle it well.

But, I'd go for something that has more load carrying ability and that was more balanced on the helm if I was wanting to cruise with the family

You have a full time job helming an 1104, but then again we were racing ?

Cav 36 or 39

Beale 35

Pacific 38

Davidson 35

Farr 38

To mention a few

Don't let asking price put you off, there are some good deals out there

Thanks Danaide, and others. Your list looks like a good place to start, and I don't want a boat that requires me to be busy on the helm if I'm going to cruise with the kids. Have a Beale 35 to look at this weekend. I'm on the Barrier most of the time, but every now and then get to sneak off on a work trip and look at boats

Hi Bushpeople,

Yes the Cav sold earlier this year. She was a fantastic boat, good passage maker, (averaged 150nm days on passages) lots volume for all of the cruising gear, good safe cockpit especially for children. We sailed many miles with our young grandchildren, 8 months & 4 years old, on their first 3 week holiday away with us.

She also handled interesting seas and wind well and looked after her crew well. Always felt safe on her.

Certainly worth trying to track one down. As said earlier, don't let advertised price put you off as there are many deals and options out there once you start talking to people.

Good luck

If you're interested in the cheiftan38 get a thorough survey done onit. We where asked to quote on it after it fell out of the cradle but it was quickly written off. It promptly disappeared.

That said I know a cav36 that fell out of a cradle was fixed then circumnavigate the globe even up to the irish sea.

Ps lots of windage on the chieftain down the sounds they v always seemed to get a hard time in the gusty stuff.

D37 be a nice boat. I agree with farr38 cool boat but prob more of a take the boys offshore than the family. A bit like the 1104 they can be heavy. Still amazed at what coppellia copellia? Does with their 38

Any of the boats mentioned are great boats. All have their advantages.

You can go anywhere in a Farr 10.6/1104/11.6. Close Encounters is a bargain. Needs some easy love. The big thing with the 1104s is to get the big cabin if you are long term cruising. The racing top is fine for the Gulf and weekending.

Just get the best boat you can for your budget.

That Cav 36 was asking 120k when we were looking 2-3 years ago.. If it had of been 86 then we would have been very interested.

That Chiefton was fixed in Lyttelton by the owner. I would get a good survey done on it..

The Farr 1104 is to light in my opinion, at 3.9 ton. especially for the family. You can check out boats on http://sailboatdata.com

It is hard to find a good cruising boat at this size range in NZ, because 90% of them are gulf cruiser/racers

Archived