Wind Turbines...?

I'd also be very wary of the big blades in a blow - he states that the brake system cannot stop the blades - so you can't even tie them safely. The air xand air breeze both have a rreputation for burning out circuit boards if the system overheats - as it will if you can't stop it.

That being said, it would be good to have the high charging ability at low windspeed! :-)

yeah my one blew to pieces...

Well I am sitting here with a large cardboard box that contains a "Silentwind 400" courtesy of Matt and Neptune. It will be some months before it gets installed (some plumbing required) but will advise all how it goes. I can say service is in no doubt from Matt. Paid for it online and next day delivered!!.

And sadly there is very little schematic detail available on the net for the AirX to be able to see how they made it all work.

IT, I would expect the SilentWind to be single phase and thus have two wires going to the controller. I would imagine having to run three wires for 3 phase would be a turn off for potential buyers.

Silentwind is three phase down to the controller. And because of this you can run nice small wires. I'll make the air-x the same.

errr, 3 phase has nothing to do with the wire size. You take the output power and divide that by the Voltage of your wind gen and that number is the amount of current the gen will push down your wires. You need to use wires capable of taking that current. OK, so the current will be carried across 3 instead of 2 wires, but lets say 30A is the current output, that is 10A per wire instead of 15A per 2 wires. Not a lot in it and you certainly need something more than little wires :wink:

errr, 3 phase has nothing to do with the wire size. You take the output power and divide that by the Voltage of your wind gen and that number is the amount of current the gen will push down your wires. You need to use wires capable of taking that current. OK, so the current will be carried across 3 instead of 2 wires, but lets say 30A is the current output, that is 10A per wire instead of 15A per 2 wires. Not a lot in it and you certainly need something more than little wires :wink:

I wasn't implying the number of wires for the size of cable, I was implying the 3phase ac voltage will be higher than the 12v thus reducing cable size as most know that cable size is determined by voltage size, for current carrying (as you state). The voltage output for the units only matter at the controller to battery side. I can't see stated anywhere what the voltage from the unit to the controller is but our wire size is according to their chart and looks way to small for 30amp at 12v. So I'm thinking 200+v.

Right, I got ya. I have not played with the Silent wind, but assuming it's similar windings to the AirX units, which I think they are similar, the Voltage is not that high. In fact I was just playing with a unit this afternoon and testing the voltage and current generated by the 400W AirX Industrial. Max unregulated unloaded Voltage after the rectifier was only 32V at about 1200RPM. I need to verify that RPM, it was my Makita Battery Drill spinning it. I will give it another try tomorrow and measure just the windings themselves and see what comes off them.

Sorry to take longer than I expected to get back with the results.

Righty, first off in the AirX unit there are four wires coming from the windings. So I am not sure how the windings are configured. Three wires go to three terminals at the centre of the PCB. By the way, the PCB's are encased in Epoxy, so I have no idea what's what inside. Those three terminals have really beafy diodes between, so must be the main rectifier. The fourth wire goes to a separate terminal, so I don't know what that does exactly. Remember that the circuit is MPPT and just how it does that I don't know, so maybe the fourth wire is some kind of sense wire, I don't know.

The voltage between the three wires, unloaded and spun at 1500RPM is 9-10VAC. The voltage between that fourth wire and any of the other three is 20VAC. I tried the same test on the Air Industrial and got exactly the same results. The unloaded unregulated output on the main two brushes at 1500RPM was 32VDC.

I hope that is helpful.

Archived