Wind Turbines...?

Ok. That has me worried..well not really as there's been no complaints? Alternate a current and it creates a electromagnetic flux (loss) in the conductor. Yes, the loss would not be that noticeable but what would be a concern is when the phase exceeds the flux collapse and ends up radiating radio frequency energy!!! I am sure the makers have considered this? The wiring running down the support mast would probably shield radiation and the frequency wouldn't be high enough to interfere with receivers?

As far as I know all the wind gens I've seen are wind driven alternators - ie they produce AC current. This is no different, except the control box (brains, brake etc) is inside the boat, not inside the wind gen.

Silent Wind say they are aware of no incidences of rf problems. All good.

The housing being metal and thus a Faraday shield, I would expect would stop any RF radiation. Brushless Alternator is the best form of Gen for wind gen because they can be made very compact and there are no losses from Brush to Commutator connection nor friction. In fact brush spark tends to output more RF noise than an Alt does. In any case, simple noise suppression ie, capacitor, can be used and is most likely incorporated in the design.

The housing being metal and thus a Faraday shield, I would expect would stop any RF radiation. Brushless Alternator is the best form of Gen for wind gen because they can be made very compact and there are no losses from Brush to Commutator connection nor friction. In fact brush spark tends to output more RF noise than an Alt does. In any case, simple noise suppression ie, capacitor, can be used and is most likely incorporated in the design.[/quote

True. However we are talking transmission of an alternating current whose frequency might exceed the saturation point along the FEEDER that is outside of the Faraday cage. The wires supplying the AC current to the regulator are thus unshielded and therefore could act as a resonator. Highly unlikely unless the turbine could spin at more than 1000 times a second!!! :mrgreen:

I'm beginning to wish I had never thought of "wind turbine propagation" as I should have known Wheels would do the cheap suite on it!!! RISE TO THE BAIT old friend! :twisted:

Now, where do I plug in the morse key and microphone into my wind turbine!!?? :lol:

Another question Matt: The external controller that comes with the Silentwind, is it the same as in the video?

Also being an alternator, where does it get its power from for the exciter?

Update;

SilentWind gens now come with a new controller, the Hybrid 1000. It ups the max power of the Solar Panel connection to 550w or 40a. Also updated is the startup speed, further reduced to under 5 knots!

Remember that the controller for these units incorporates an ammeter and voltmeter, individually readable for Solar and Wind generation, and a circuit breaker is provided. These are extras on other brands..

My Website is now updated with the new specs http://www.neptunes-gear.com/collections/wind-generators

Cheers

Matt

Update;

SilentWind gens now come with a new controller, the Hybrid 1000. It ups the max power of the Solar Panel connection to 550w or 40a. Also updated is the startup speed, further reduced to under 5 knots!

[/url]

Cheers

Matt

Bugger! I just ordered and installed a silentwind in December and it only has the hybrid 600. The 1000 would have been perfect for the extra I'm about to install. Is there any chance to just order the controller? I wouldnt mind trying to convert our old Airx that uses blue blades to use the controller, if possible, and add another 400w of solar panels.

Yes you can order just the controller, but it's about $700 NZD + GST.

You cannot use either controller with an Air X, as they have an internal controller, and output DC from the windgen. Both the Hybrid 600 and the 1000 have an AC input...

I'd like to know where you got your Silentwind, and what you paid - a PM would be great if you don't mind telling me?

Cheers

Matt

I have not yet found a wind generator that does not inject some kind of rf.

And I am talking systems up to 15 plus KVA.

Whether it is in the vhf spectrum or similar commercial fm, or indeed commercial AM or HF !

Even "" solar panel regulators inject "clicks"..

ON a common 12 volt rail.

It is a very difficult thing to make pure.

You can spend a huge amount of time putting in ferrites (and you should), but it just isnt that easy.

Shielded wires, to earth or not too, parallel wires, twisted pairs or straight..

Data/high voltage/low voltage/ antennae/.......

even as the song goes..."ya got keeppem separated. dum da da da dum da da - da"

Do your best....but remember....

If you need to do a critical listen or transmission on VHF or HF, just turn everything else OFF.

That includes LEDs and fluros...anything with a motor (unless its a bilge pump)...((a lot of bilge pumps can knock out a vhf listen too))...

Try it and see...

What makes noise in DC systems, which could be construed for RF noise, but it isn't, is actually charge pulse noise. Wind Genies that produce DC (alternators also) and of course any kind of battery charger, do not produce a pure flat line of DC. In other words, it is not filtered. The DC arrives in Pulses. This can be heard on Radios as a Buzz or Whine. Depending on the speed the wind gen is spinning at, or the number of pulses per second, determine the frequency of that buzz. The level of noise can change, depending on how charged the batteries are. Low Battery levels cause the DC "troughs" to drop quickly and deeply and followed rapidly by the next peak. This can cause that buzzing noise over any kind of Radio.

It is really important when installing any generating device, to keep the cables on the DC side to the battery as short and heavy in gauge as practicable. A battery acts just like a Large Capacitor (which helps smooth DC ripple) and being able to get those current peaks directly to a battery with out too much drop reduces the noise considerably. The greater battery capacity you have, the bigger that smoothing effect also and the less noise. The higher the batteries charge, the less current being pulled from the charging device and the less noise.

Yes you can order just the controller, but it's about $700 NZD + GST.

You cannot use either controller with an Air X, as they have an internal controller, and output DC from the windgen. Both the Hybrid 600 and the 1000 have an AC input...

I'd like to know where you got your Silentwind, and what you paid - a PM would be great if you don't mind telling me?

Cheers

Matt

Being a hybrid controller its getting up there in price but most likely worth it although ebay does have a few on there that could do the job and not priced not to bad.

I can convert the air-x to ac by removing the internals and running the straight ac wires down to the controller. The slip ring on the yaw shaft needs slightly modifying to insulate one wire but since I have a lathe on board its a minor job :wink:

Sailfish, why are you wanting to use a different controller than the internal AirX??

Because I want to put another 400-500w of solar on and need a controller for that anyway and I suspect I have just blown my airx internals apart. I suspect I will get a controller that brakes as well by applying a load and then shorting out or whatever the silentwind does (most likely get the silentwind controller and hook the silentwind genny and new solars up to it and put the old air-x (rewire it to ac) on the old silentwind controller). I think that will work unless someone tells me otherwise.

Archived