Westhaven Pile Moorings

Island Time

You may notice the new Add on the left. Westhaven are promoting their Pile moorings from $7.50 per day. These are probably the lowest cost close to central Auckland. Anyone interested? Click on the advert....and please - make sure you tell them you saw the ad on here!

The pile moorings used to be catered for with a good loading dock, and dinghy racks close by. It was like someone actually thought about the requirements, and came up with good facilities that would be useful to the users.

However Westhaven are in the process of removing the loading dock, and have moved the dinghy racks so that they are now 3 or 4 times the distance. In addition you have to row down the main fairway, dodging large vessels, and battling into the prevailing westerly.

Despite this decrease in facilities, they have decided to hike the price from 6.50 to 7.50, with no warning or reason given.

The pile moorings used to be catered for with a good loading dock, and dinghy racks close by. It was like someone actually thought about the requirements, and came up with good facilities that would be useful to the users.

However Westhaven are in the process of removing the loading dock, and have moved the dinghy racks so that they are now 3 or 4 times the distance. In addition you have to row down the main fairway, dodging large vessels, and battling into the prevailing westerly.

Despite this decrease in facilities, they have decided to hike the price from 6.50 to 7.50, with no warning or reason given.

And lets not forget that if you are 1 inch over their size limits (10.5m, 12m, 14m etc) you'll be bumped up a size and charged accordingly - unlike most other marinas whom apply a level of reason.

Hence if you want to park your 40fter in a 12m berth? forget about it. 14m berth for you

:( Yes as publicly notified, the changes are pushing on at Westhaven , the short berths by the office will soon be gone, the new berth out from X is on the way and the piles in a year or so will be no more, Westhaven is not everymans marina despite it being originally paid for by the berth holders, and now owned by the council. The management is charged with squeezing the best return from their facility and that means big berths.Happily there is more provision for liveaboards in the future plan for the area where the piles are now. I well remember looking at the overseas visitors tied alongside past the squadron in Flaps day. Perhaps with some yachties involved now there we will return to that welcoming feeling again...

I don't think you are right there Walkiore. I have been told by westhaven management that the piles are staying. Their rationale is that they provide a low cost entry to Westhaven. As the pile mooring users' financial position improves they may move into a marina.

I must say, I was impressed that the manager took time to ring me and clarify what westhavens intentions are.

Their rationale is that they provide a low cost entry to Westhaven. As the pile mooring users' financial position improves they may move into a marina.

Good luck with that. I tried exactly that a few months ago at the office and was told to expect a 3+ year wait for a marina to become available.

Then although there's seemingly a marina shortage in my size and an oversupply of piles, they put the price of the piles up while leaving the price of the marinas the same.

If I were cynical I'd say maybe that signals westhavens intentions for the future of the piles better than any of the mixed messages that have come out in their PR....

The pole mooring I am on in Westhaven has just gone up from $290.00 per month, to $341.00 !

For an extra $28.00 per month, I can get a 12 metre berth at Seaview, walk on, all the electricity I can burn, and water I can drink, great facilities, and friendly people.

Guess who's bringing their baby home !

Hi all, 

Thanks very much for the discussion. 

As we have communicated in our newsletters, and directly to pile berth users, with the build of Y Pier, pile moorings remain well catered for with good loading docks, and dinghy racks close by, as follows:

- The end of U Pier will become the main loading dock and we think it better services the pile moorings than the old X Pier Loading. It is less exposed, it has a pump out facility, and it also houses some dinghy racks for those that row and wish to be close by. The multihulls on the end of U Pier are being relocated.  When construction is finished in early September, pile mooring renters can still load and unload onto their vessel on the northern area of Y (of approx 100 lineal meters) should they wish

- The old X Pier pontoon has been divided into two pieces and over the next few weeks will be located. The main part of it will be moved around to St Mary’s Bay, behind NZ Marine House. It will be equipped with secure storage for outboard, and flushing facilities, and will also house the Ponsonby Sailing School. We think that many users will find this is a better location, because you’ll be able to launch and retrieve your boat into flatter seas, and store your outboard there too. There is also more carparking availability in this part of the marina and a shorter walk to trolley gear to your dinghy. Our early discussion with users showed that for many, this option was a positive.  

The pile moorings are a vital part of Westhaven’s entry level affordable boating. In any future development we will reconfigure the layout of the pile moorings ensuring all existing customers are accommodated.

- There is also an outboard flushing facility by the marina office, and a second pump-out at Z Pier, for marina customers to use. 

- Pricing was increased for pile moorings, earlier this year, to reflect the systematic cost of replacing and upgrading the piles. 

We apologise for any disruption while the construction works are underway for Y Pier. Please feel free to contact me in the Marina Office if you wish to discuss anything further.

Kevin Lidgard

Operations Manager

Westhaven Marina 

Archived