Westhaven Happenings

Apologies Priscilla, we simply didn't read your post as a request for more information.

We can confirm that the grids are being restored to their former location at Z Pier, and are currently in the consent process. The gantry is also now in its new location at A Pier and operators are undergoing training at the moment.

If you are a berth holder or email newsletter subscriber you will have received fairly detailed information in the last few weeks about car parking, which states that collectively, berth holders - whether owners or renters - have a right, established in the Trust deeds that were created when Westhaven was developed, to 0.8 parking spaces per berth at the Marina.

It is a very complex discussion to have in detail on an online forum, and we invite you to contact us directly if you would like more specific information or if you have specific concerns. As well as the Westhaven Plan itself, and the shorter summary that we already provided links to, anyone who is interested may like to read the 2013 annual report that was published late last year. You may have a copy already but if not, you can review it here and hopefully it will help answer some of what you need about the future of Westhaven in general and the intentions of the Marina custodians.

The link is:

http://www.westhaven.co.nz/getmedia/03a ... e.pdf.aspx

Many thanks,

The Team at Westhaven Marina

Thank you for the reply.

I am not referring to the re establishment of the tidal grids regarding my request on information regarding "out of water" servicing facilities.

Tom Warren specifically pointed to the now vacant area next to the Silo Park presently being used by Southern Spars etc and stated that this was to be a future haul out facility for use by the boating public.

This is a matter of public record.

Whilst I understand that the marina management stand at arms distance from Auckland Waterfront, essentially you are all in the same boat as to speak.

Could there be some clarity shone on what exactly Auckland Waterfront and thereby the marina management see as being a viable future available area for the do it yourself boaty to service their craft.

Pier 21 is part of the Viaduct Harbour Holdings empire and will in all probability fold into some mixed commercial use development.

That will leave the boating public with only one viable alternative to access a haul out facility.

Twist, hopefully this reassures you on the subject of pile berth development:

Stage 1 of the pile berth redevelopment project will replace the first two rows of piles where many of the longer pile berths are. When the development commences a significant number of piles berths within the remaining area will be increased in length to provide pile berths for the varying lengths of vessels the pile area currently caters to. Where possible we plan to accommodate all existing long term renters on these upgraded pile berth. We are able to increase the length of a number of the remaining pile berths without displacing other vessels or customers due to the lower levels of occupancy across the entire pile berth area.

Priscilla, we will ask the questions on your behalf and reply in the next day or two.

Have a good evening,

The Team at Westhaven

Hey Sharpie,

Pretty sure there are P180 signs up in the white spaces - have noted them before.

Kevin and the Westhaven team,

Thanks for your communications. It's a good gesture to engage on an open forum and you've clarified much.

Perhaps you could give assurance to berth holders ( and their crew), that certain priority will be given for those that the facility was developed for. If as has been suggested, international best practice is .8 berths per boat, that ratio will have an massive effect in being able to secure crew and campaign a race yacht. Simply put, crew are currently time pressured to get to yachts and having that parking ratio and consequent time lag to get to boats ( along with an inconvenience factor), will have detrmental effect on the number of boats being campaigned. Obviously this will make life more difficult for club and interested parties.

Also, can you be more specific about numbers of new long waterline pile berths that are planned?

Priscilla, we are happy to discuss this with you but there are no specifics currently that can be advised upon. If you wish to, please send a message via Crew.org.nz with your details so that we can arrange a time for you to talk with Tom Warren. Ultimately a number of factors will be considered when usage of the land is determined but we are pushing for space for boating facilities.

Dan, the 0.8 carparks per boat is specified by the Auckland District Plan. We have spent a lot of time in the last year researching carparking at the Marina. We have used drones to take aerial photos at different times and done counts of used and free spaces at a wide cross section of time frames. Obviously if the spaces are freely used by the public, then there will be issues. History has already proven that. However, berth license holders have an established right in their license agreement, to a certain amount of carparking at the marina (this is the 0.8 berths we have indicated). This is legally secured for them by their trust documents. We also want the public to be able to come down and use the carparking spaces at times when they aren't being used by boaties. This is why we are trialing TrafficEye. There are always going to be peak times at any well used facility where parking is difficult to get, but we are confident, that if we are diligent and continue to work at it, that your carparking requirements will be met. While there are many factors that go into decisions on the use of space, the marina is run by a team that want to see boating succeed in Auckland.

Regarding your second question about specific numbers of waterline pile berths, we have a certain amount of flexibility to accommodate the boats that are using the pile berths currently, whatever size they may be. It might be best if you contact us direct about a specific boat you wish to know about - please send a message with a phone number that we can reach you on if you wish to discuss it specifically.

Thanks again from

The team at Westhaven Marina

If some of you people actually attended the Westhaven update meetings and listened to what is going on you would save a lot of wasted time rehashing the same stuff over and over.

I attended the last one and as one of the worlds great pedants even I walked away reasonably happy with the way it was being managed. From memory there were two sessions and lots of spare seats at the one I went to.

Perhaps worth attending if you have a genuine interest..

Gotta agree with BNG a little here. I've attended 3 Westhaven meetings and come away pretty happy overall.

I do however appreciate that not everyone can make these meetings. And that my "happy" isn't everyone else's.

And I also appreciate that I'm a newbie to Westhaven (relatively). Only been down there with my boats 10 years.

There are ample planning/proposal documents either on-line (e.g. see various links Westhaven has provided in this thread) or just give them a call or visit.

Please go read the documents before ranting.

Times are a-changing.

As are the types of yachts, their size, the way we use them etc etc.

And a lot of what Westhaven is proposing is just that. Proposing. So go have your say - at Westhaven. Maybe in writing.

FYI - I have no affiliation of any sort with Westhaven or Akl Councils - apart from paying for a 10 metre berth at Westhaven.

If angry, go for a sail. Fixes everything :thumbup: :thumbup:

BNG. You and others may not realize, but not everyone is able to attend meetings in the city in the middle of the week, with only a couple of weeks notice. Nice if you can attend, but if not, this should not prevent one from being well informed. Or preventing one from having a say regarding any Westhaven happenings. Am I right or wrong in this regard?

We are very happy to answer questions here if it's more convenient for you.

Thanks to all who attended the info session on Wednesday. We have a new website launching soon that will give you a log more information.

But the best way to stay informed about Westhaven happenings, is to make sure you are signed up to the Westhaven newsletter:

http://www.westhaven.co.nz/Westhaven/Ne ... gn-up.aspx

Thanks all,

From The Team at Westhaven

Meanwhile in Wellington:

Seaview don't have any 10 metre berths available at present with a long waiting list for when the eventually construct some more and have offered a 12 metre berth. The bigger berth is $355 pm against $287 for the 10m.

Meanwhile in Wellington:

Seaview don't have any 10 metre berths available at present with a long waiting list for when the eventually construct some more and have offered a 12 metre berth. The bigger berth is $355 pm against $287 for the 10m.

haha while cheap by Akld standards it is roughly double what the Cost of a Marina Berth in Nelson is at present.

i have a question about this new cycle/pedestrian path that is going in on the southern side. where it crosses the access road into the carpark (L-X) it is a raised crossing to the same level as the adjacent footpath and is paved in the same material. Does this now mean that pedestrians etc have right of way over cars accessing the marinas?? If not it is not a particularly safe design to imply to pedestrians they have the rights and is something that is avoided on every other project i've been involved with. If it is i can see this holding up traffic on Westhaven Drive and again takes away from the true purpose of the facility ie a MARINA for berthholders.