"A" On the move in the harbour

Fusion

:D I like her sad that she will not be back in the harbour, far better looking than the usual US layercakes.

Heading for Tauranga, Wellington, Marlborough Sounds then Fiji. Her and Nahlin in Westhaven together shows NZ refit capability and cruising potential. :thumbup:

Anchored off Picton this morning, at first I was like wtf then on closer inspection rather jealous. With a 75,000 litre gas tank, even if they gave it to me all I could do is sit an look at it though.

Anchored off Picton this morning, at first I was like wtf then on closer inspection rather jealous. With a 75,000 litre gas tank, even if they gave it to me all I could do is sit an look at it though.

Try 750,000 litre tank! (according to Wiki)

That can't be right - either figure. Specs published when she arrived in NZ say she has a gross tonnage of 5959...., and 757,000 liters of diesel are 628,310 tons... something wrong somewhere!

Yet online specs list that figure as correct though;

Overview

Name: A

Type: Motor Yacht

Model: Custom

Sub Type:

Builder: Blohm + Voss Shipyards

Naval Architect: Francis Design

Blohm + Voss Shipyards

Exterior Designers: Philippe Starck

Interior Designer: Philippe Starck

Year: 2008

Flag: Bermuda

MCA:

Class: Lloyd's

Hull NB: 970

Hull Colour: -

Dimensions

Length Overall: 119.00m (390'5"ft)

Length at Waterline: 118.38m (388'4"ft)

Beam: 18.87m (61'10"ft)

Draft (min): -

Draft (max): 5.15m (16'10"ft)

Gross Tonnage: -

Accommodations

Guests: 14

Cabins Total: 7

Cabins: -

Crew: 42

Construction

Hull Configuration: Displacement w/ Bulbous Bow

Hull Material: Steel

Superstructure: Aluminium

Deck Material: Teak

Decks NB: -

Engine(s)

Quantity: 2

Fuel Type: Diesel

Manufacturer: MAN

Model: RK280

Power: 6035hp / 9000kW

Total Power: 12070hp / 18000kW

Propulsion: Twin Screw

Performance & Capabilities

Max Speed: 23.00 kts

Cruising Speed: 19.50 kts

Range: 6500.00 miles at 19 kts

Fuel Capacity: 757,000.00 L / 166,516.53 USG

Water Capacity: 94,000.00 L / 20,677.09 USG

Equipment

Generator:

3 x Catepillar 960 kW

1 x Catepillar 440 kW

Stabilizers: 4 x Quantum Zero Speed

Thrusters: 2 x Brunvoll 330 kW

Amenities: -

Does not make sense!!!

Really crude calcs - LOA x Beam x Draft - 11,564 cubic meters underwater if she was a box, so she cannot displace more than that fully loaded - and she is not a box, so the actual volume of displacement will be considerably less!!!....

Unless someone knows better than me - that's pretty likely!!

and if you want to get really confused, the gross tonnage has nothing to do with weight but a lot more to do with how many French wine barrels (tuns) you can fit into it :crazy:

and if you want to get really confused, the gross tonnage has nothing to do with weight but a lot more to do with how many French wine barrels (tuns) you can fit into it :crazy:

a few years back if you put in a few tonnage hatches you could reduce the gross tonnage if you build under US rules :shock:

I wonder how they can maintain such secrecy over in effect many years. There must be heaps of NZers had something to do with the boat while here not only the painting but general trade maintenance both inside and outside the hull. Unless of course they have fully equipped workshops and trade staff on board so that commoners are not allowed up the gangplank! There is 2 ways to prevent even a cell phone picture to get out. One threaten to cut off fingers, and two pay some hush money.

Archived