rookie question yacht registration like car in NZTA?

victorwang

Hi, I am about to buy a 2nd hand yacht, is there any paperwork have to be done?

I mean, when u got a car,NZTA will know the transfer of owenership, so you have legal document.

how about boat? Anything in similar way?

Thanks.

Agree there is no legal requirement, however when I sold my boat a little over a week ago I wanted some documentation to prove that the transaction had taken place, so I just wrote a simple bill of sale specifying what the item was, who the buyer and seller were and the date of sale and price and stating that it had been paid in full, and we both signed a copy for each of us (actually I had my attorney sign for me, since I had given the other guy my bank account information so I didn't want him to have my signature as well).

Not unless its a registered ship, or on a trailer - as far as I know...

I purchased a registered ship last week and the ownership is only noted on the registration form and signed by the registrar from what I can see there is no legal requirement to do so.

Re boats on trailer...its the trailer that requires a change of ownership, not the boat.

Agree there is no legal requirement, however when I sold my boat a little over a week ago I wanted some documentation to prove that the transaction had taken place, so I just wrote a simple bill of sale specifying what the item was, who the buyer and seller were and the date of sale and price and stating that it had been paid in full, and we both signed a copy for each of us (actually I had my attorney sign for me, since I had given the other guy my bank account information so I didn't want him to have my signature as well).

This is the way to go, or a contract like that used by brokers.

As an FYI re the comment about car registration, registration in your name doesn't mean legal ownership, just the pleasure of being ticketed if needed.

When you acquire a vehicle you are required to notify your acquisition to the NZTA without delay. Once you have notified your acquisition you become the person registered in respect of the vehicle. This is not the same as having legal title.
http://nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/owner.html

Class B registration for Cat 1 offshore isn't transferable, it belongs to the current owner, not the boat. Not sure about A but it is probably the same. The new owner has to apply for a new one even if there is time unexpired on it. Another money maker for the Govt.

Archived