MX Mariner - Offline GPS for Android devices.

waterboy67

For anyone using Android phones / tablets who wants a great, offline, Marine GPS (or as a backup). I have been using this for almost a year, including at night in tricky coastal and narrow harbour areas. It is super accurate and has yet to let me down.

Advantages :

- Doesn't require a data connection (once initial free charts are downloaded)

- Uses free to download LINZ actual marine charts. One or two downloads gives you all charts for NZ and South Pacific Islands. (This alone would cost many hundreds of dollars to buy the paper versions.)

- Super accurate to a couple of meters - I have tested this many times using fixed marks etc.

- Low cost, one off $8 payment to download MX Mariner from Google Play.

- Can plot routes, add way points, measure distances, indicate speed, record routes etc, etc.

Disadvantages:

- Need good battery capacity - I use with smart phone plugged in to 12v outlet / usb adaptor with long micro usb chord, but also bought cheap Lithium ion external battery pack (20,000mah) from trade me which works well.

- Initially I had some issues detecting satellites (as I did with other GPS reliant apps) until I downloaded "GPS Test" app (free) and used the clear / update A-GPS data function.

- Ideally, you need a really bright screen for daytime use.

- Risking your phone / tablet in salt water environment. I use a clear waterproof bag to protect.

- Not available for Apple devices (yet?)

Recommended:

- this app has proven itself to me, so I will be getting an Android Tablet (the phone can be a little small for viewing) and mount it to the cabin / cockpit wall.

- Look for the brightest screen possible for daytime use.

Maybe. MX Mariner is not a bad app. Google does not get all the money for the apps on their store, someone owns the program and it's rights. Most people would post "hey, I've been looking at Android Nav apps, and I found this one that I like, what do you guys think" not a detailed version like above.

Advertising is the reason this site can stay open. It costs money to host and time to look after it. It is unfair on our existing Advertisers to let someone advertise for free! We'll see what his response is...

Matt

Maybe. MX Mariner is not a bad app. Google does not get all the money for the apps on their store, someone owns the program and it's rights. Most people would post "hey, I've been looking at Android Nav apps, and I found this one that I like, what do you guys think" not a detailed version like above.

Advertising is the reason this site can stay open. It costs money to host and time to look after it. It is unfair on our existing Advertisers to let someone advertise for free! We'll see what his response is...

Matt

This is my response:

This is not an advertisement! this is an opinion from a user about an app I have used for a year regularly and found very useful.

I had no thought, nor intention of stepping on the toes of advertisers, who ironically, are after monetary gain...

Yes I have used Navionics, but prefer MX Mariner, sorry if that doesn't appease the money trail as this site deserves support, but not at the expense of censoring people's opinions.. It's Crew.org.nz, not Russia Today..

Looks like someone recommending an app they have found useful to me.

Unless waterboy owns Google I can't see what it is you think he is selling here.

Perhaps they are concerned that I'll get a cut of the $8 fee..

Heck, if they give me 15%, I'll make roughly $1.

I think mowing lawns is a better get rich quick scheme...!

Archived