Another Rangitoto question.... salt springs?

Salt Springs on the Northern side say about 1/3 of the way between the light and Gardiner gap...Why is that point called that ?

We were wandering around there last weekend, but apart from looking at the beacon we didn't see anything remotely spring like . and what is the beacon for ?

I knew that area was a saltworks( around Mckenzie) and we have the saltworks buoy to the south of rangi light. ( as opposed to the salt springs land beacon to the east of Mckenzies.)

I'm just curious as to the reason for the salt springs and wonder if its literally a salt spring. I suppose logically if salt water is pressurised up there through a lava cave/ tube, it'd be a good feed for salt pans. Or, I suppose you could imagine a freshwater spring at the saltworks being called that too.

Sorta connected I went through a reseach phase about the wrecks in Wreck bay some years ago. ARC used to have a great web page on them but thats gone now.

One was an American 4 masted schooner which came here, became a coal hulk and then a nightclub . Columbia. ( or Showboat when it was the party boat) It was sabotaged and sunk twice before being run aground and burnt at wreck bay.

a bit of reading here

..http://timespanner.blogspot.co.nz/2012/ ... baret.html

I can't quite get that, it is really rocks, not a tow of logs or something? oops I see the answer now. I never knew that.

"Waihau" is the name that rolls around and pokes the inside of my skull when I look at the boat.

Hahaha, yeah walking around salt springs whetted our appetite for a stroll around the fields at coastguard. lava fields that is.We like to do that once every decade or so.

Big weekend, out to drunks for sat night, back to westhaven for kids and a day trip first thing sun morning. Two trips up the washing machine on sunday.. two! ( one set on delicate, one on agitate and spin)

at coastguard I even got a tour around a certain well known crew.org short handed boat which has just changed hands.

at coastguard I even got a tour around a certain well known crew.org short handed boat which has just changed hands.

If it's the one I think your talking about I hope they are looking after it.

On 27/03/2014 at 3:04 PM, Guest said:

Nope, it's actually shot from a video presentation up on North Head. It's Rough Rock before it was blown up

Old boy told us a story of a sailing ship that hit rough rock,a barrel or something went overboard and a basking shark swallowed it.

Surely the big question is....what do the computer models show what happens when Rangitoto blows itself up again....it is a case of 'when' not 'if' from what I have briefly read on the subject.

Hope I am somewhere northward on my boat when that happens as will be like a mini atomic bomb hitting Auckland when it does happen.

I’ve been told that all of Auckland’s volcanoes are monolithic (only erupt once then move on ,nothing to see here)

So going north may not help, the average time line between Auckland eruptions is 600 years and the last Rangi was 900 years ago.

So if we could have the next one  on a cross of Tiri - Channel and Little Barrier - Durville would make an ideal racing mark and ideally with a harbour on the east and west would be great too.

• Haha 2

Thanks IT for reading .... 

The attached image is from a paper dating events in Auckland ... eruptions started about 140,000 yrs ago and last was Rangitoto (600 yrs ago). Locations are random (oldest and youngest are basically next to each other. The rate of eruptions has changed with time, but was really busy around 30,000 yrs ago (an average rate means very little). As mentioned all the volcanoes have erupted once, except Rangitoto which has erupted twice (the 1st maybe about 6,000 yrs ago).

Eruptions are very unlikely to occur outside of the area shown on the map (left side).

Where next ... toss a dart at the map ... 

Full reference for science paper:

Leonard, G.S.; Calvert, A.T.; Hopkins, J.L.; Wilson, C.J.N.; Smid, E.R.; Lindsay, J.M.; Champion, D.E. 2017 High-precision 40Ar/39Ar dating of Quaternary basalts from Auckland Volcanic Field, New Zealand, with implications for eruption rates and paleomagnetic correlations. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 343: 60-74.

Auckland Volcanoes.PNG

• Like 1