Whangerei Questions

smithy09

Hi All. I'm looking at taking the Marshall up to Whangarei to act as a hotel/viewing platform for the Starling Nationals at Parua Bay. I'm in two minds as to whether we stay at Marsden point or in town. I am offshore at the moment and don't have access to pilotage books, but just a few questions, as I'm sure someone here will know!

1. What is the tidal access like to get into Whangerei? The Marshall draws 2.4 metres. The charts I can access on line say the Hatea river is dredged to 1m below chart datum. Is this the same as Mean low water spring tide? Bit rusty here..

2. Approximate time to get from the town centre to Parua Bay? Looks like about 10nm on the chart, so I'm guessing about 1 1/2 hrs at 7 knots? Is that reasonable?

3. Is there a regular bus service from Whangerei to Auckland? (We have to get the Starling up there as well as the Marshall...)

4. Anyone anchored overnight in Parua Bay recently, or know the area? Looks a bit shallow and possibly exposed to the SE.. Any comments on anchoring overnight there?

Thanks in advance for any help! Cheers, Smithy.

No problem at any tide up as far as Kissing Point so long as you stick to the channel, tidal flow up to around 2knots at spring peak. Parua bay, I expect you would have trouble if you try to go further than the Nook, Good anchorage at the Nook though. Kissing point to the town basin, possibly touch and go as far as the fish hook bridge waiting jetty before 1/2 tide probably the same once you have been let through. Busses to Orkland OK. Local bus as far as Onerahi, not sure if there is one to parua bay. Whangarei Yacht Club has a compound at Parua bay.

I took the 1020 up to the town basin at the beginning of March when there were 3.5m tides and we touched the bottom twice going up the river right at the bottom of the tide. once getting to the berth to wait for the bridge to lift! so gets a bit shallow at low tide. plenty of other places we only had 0.1-0.3 under us... think we only draw 1.8m

Thanks PottBlack. That gives me a pretty good idea. Sounds like it's dredged to 1m above MLWS which I guess is what the chart means by "chart datum". I have just never seen that expression before. Maybe my nav skills are a bit rusty? I would prefer to be up in Whangarei as the Marsden point marina is a long way from everything and we have good friends with a VERY nice restaurant within walking distance from the marina! :D :D (La Familia)

That means its deeper than it used to be. The winter series races of old were timed so it would be high tide in the morning so the boats could get out. When the big tides hit we would often end up somewhere around limeburners stuck fast until the tide came in enough to allow us to get back in.

Gauchos 1st mast came to an ugly end there, when the boys were already a bit too liquored up and jumped on the boom to heal the boat over, rather than wait another 1/2 hour.

Forgot to put a fractional halyard on and pulled the top of the mast over. :oops:

MLWS changes over time.

CD- Chart Datum is what tide heights in the almanac refer to. IE a height of 2.0m tide is 2.0m of water above chart datum. A -0.2 tide height is less water than chart datum.

tidal-terms.gif

BTW - MLWS for Whangarei is 0.5m above Chart Datum

Whangarei

MHWS 3.0

MHWN 2.6

MLWN 1.0

MLWS 0.5

see http://www.linz.govt.nz/hydro/tidal-inf ... efinitions

Thanks Rigger! From my hazy memory of Yachtmaster theory, I always thought tide depths on charts were quoted as above MLWS.. I do seem to remember that term "Lowest astronomical tide" though, but never "Chart datum". So LAT = chart datum!

Just don't cut across the bank near Rat Island. I remember seeing a lot of visiting boats dried out there when I was a kid. And the old Auckland hydrofoil which hit there and then wasn't a foiler anymore. If the above user called "Crocket" is who I think he is, he'll probably be able to verify that too! :D

I think a lot of people have spent time there. Problem is that the bank tends to move around a bit, so chances of getting caught out are fairly high if you make a habit of cutting the corner.

Archived