Around NZ

Chewing Gum

We draw 2.1m and the least depth we found was 4.5m crossing at low water through the south channel. That was on a fairly small tide so there might be bit less than 4m on a big tide at low water but of course you can always cross at half tide in when there would be plenty of water.

The reason we crossed at Low water coming in is that we arrived at the bar half tide out so did some fishing to wait for the incoming tide and then crossed just after low water so as to get into the harbour before sunset and we went straight up to the Port Albert river to shelter from the forecast cyclone and dropped anchor just on dark.

On the way out heading to New Plymouth we actually left the Kaipara just after high water which was just on daylight in the morning. We had spent the previous night at South Head and it is only about half an hour to the bar from there.

PS - I do know the place fairly well as I was brought up there but as I have said earlier most places the chartplotter is accurate so apart from the bar crossing where you do need to be careful of course, the rest is fairly easy.

It looks like a lidgard 42. Booboo I saw ur boat on t.me, u buying bigger?!

Yes hayden thats the plan. Need a bigger boat so I can take the kids on trips like this one!

Will omly sell if we can get a decent price. Have poored lots of time and money into getting this one setup well for us so if it doesnt sell easily we will just keep it and do a full upgrade further down the line to an offshore boat.

Archived