Carbon Head

Bad Kitty

Any boat builders out there who are competent at carbon construction/moulds/vacuum bag etc. interested in doing a mould & producing a couple of carbon heads for me?

They would be standard size, not the mini jobs (please hold all smart arse comments about me being a fat b*@r%)

Made to take Jabsco manual toilet pumps.

Could make the mould available or knock off a few more if people are interested?

Thanks, PM's please.

Re moonbeams, Hey Smithy, being light & carbon it won't be cheap but hopefully it can't be worse than the Tecma ones at US$11,000 each!

And they have all the Tecma guts so they aren't even light.

Bad kitty - you having problems with your Tecma ones ? We have 2 and both have recently developed issues which still working on!

Thought they were bullet proof if there is such a thing ...

Hi P, no we use Jabsco manual, which is what I want to stick with. Given my aversion to working with the brown sticky stuff, especially second hand brown sticky stuff while at sea, I polled many marine engineers & plumbers at length about what toilets seemed to give the least trouble.

Most assured me that going Jabsco, & avoiding any electric flush system gave me the best chance of keeping my fingernails clean.

Even the electric flush involves a spindle revolving round in the mess, which apparently has an almost magnetic attraction for Tampon strings if you can believe that!

So manual at the idiot end, then a Land & Sea T series diaphragm pump, which can supposedly digest whole chicken bones to empty the holding tank, & voila, no puking down your front while disassembling dunnies in a 5 metre seaway.

8 years & 15,000 miles, still good so far, & keep your fingers crossed!

But keen to keep trimming weight, so carbon bowls to replace the ceramic Jabsco.

I'm working on the seat and the cover hatch thingy for my manual Jabsco. Swapping both to carbon. Knot brave enuff to take on the bowl though. Results to date have been average to say the least but we battle on.

What about tapping Tim W up, he's done it and done it well. Along with galley sink and some other parts from memory.

You scared of a few splinters KM?
Knot so much splinters as a total bowl collapse and the resulting prostrate removal. I'm not skilled enuff to even know where to start on the bowl.

Also I concur on your dunny thinking having had to pull a few down while at sea. KISS means you can get in, get it done and get out a lot faster :)

Re moonbeams, Hey Smithy, being light & carbon it won't be cheap but hopefully it can't be worse than the Tecma ones at US$11,000 each!

Ah yeah.. It would have to be CONSIDERABLY cheaper than that. Kirby Morgan aren't making them are they? :D :D Or Divex, at that kind of price.. My boom cost less than that.. Lot more carbon too..

Yep

KM is right I have taken a mould off a toilet and made a few Carbon ones off that a few years back along with a number of Carbon sinks.

As a one off unfortunately some owners would start to cry.

When I was fully tooled up and another order came along it would invariably not fit, and the mould would need modification.

Since those days I think we could have a good go at it.

Probably start with a cnc plug made from MDF because taking the mould straight off the existing bowl is quite time consuming and unfortunately the existing bowl gets wrecked and can't be re used.

Happy to look at this again but it will be through Hall Spars as a work job.

The Entertainer has a (small) carbon head and it is an absolute comedy show cruising with it :lol:

I'd seriously consider trading it (yeah-nah not really) in for a heavier unit that could fit the relevant bit's and pieces

Yep manual Jabsco the best, I just bought a near new one on TM for a spare as parts are a bit ridiculous. I use a bit of Superlube every week or 2 on the plunger and shaft seal. You can buy the Superlube from RR Fisher.

BK...are they really that much???!! I googled one in Aussie for $1450 - think it comes complete although maybe there are some options - but wouldn't have thought it would take it up to anywhere near $11k

BK...are they really that much???!! I googled one in Aussie for $1450 - think it comes complete although maybe there are some options - but wouldn't have thought it would take it up to anywhere near $11k

http://www.westmarine.com/electric-toil ... --10286425

Read it & weep!

Archived