No dumping within 2km of shore in certain Auckland City area

dutyfree

Anyone see this about the Auckland area and toilet dumping?

A spokesman for Auckland Council advises that as of September 30, 2013, boats must be more than 2km offshore before discharging untreated sewage into the ocean. This may come as some surprise to local boaties.

This restriction applies to Auckland Council's marine area, which takes in the Waitemata, Manukau and Kaipara harbours as well as the Hauraki Gulf Marine Park and Goat Island marine reserve. And while holding tanks are not compulsory, if you are planning to spend a lot of time at sea within the 2km zone, then some sort of treatment or containment system on your boat might be judicious.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11231141/url]

Yes and I made mention of it on Crew a while back.

Interesting to note how that along with a pile of other stuff in the 'draft' are actually enforceable now. It seems AKl Super Shitty have a differing meaning of 'draft' than the school system teaches.

Yes and I made mention of it on Crew a while back.

Interesting to note how that along with a pile of other stuff in the 'draft' are actually enforceable now. It seems AKl Super Shitty have a differing meaning of 'draft' than the school system teaches.

The "Draft" Unitary Plan was released early 2013 and was a draft, just for informations sake.

The "Proposed" Unitary plan was release for submissions in Oct 2013. The Media seem to have totally missed this point too and keep calling it the draft.

WM, I do not know who you are and you have not used your given name?

"The pump-out at U Pier has been removed due to lack of use" = "Westhaven is removing the pump out facility so we have nowhere to go."

For many here Z pier is not considered part of Westhaven it is the charter pier. If you and the council are discussing the 2000 meter rule there will be a greater requirement for pump out facilities for the recreational vessels. Currently 200 and 5 is easily managed with holding tanks.

:eh: Yes read that and thought the Herald had it slightly wrong, ah well I shall have to carry on my criminal ways! Perhaps Auckland council need to look overseas, Around Maine and 'Down East' area they reverted to the old system as the effect of massive holding tanks being emptied at sea was felt on the local fish and shellfish, certainly I have seen it straight off Bon Accord as a Riviera pumped out all in one place -disgusting.

When our ferries do it at the wharf we see the same thing!! Before these ill-advised regs are forced upon us there have to be easily accessible pump out stations everywhere on the coast. NZ is a long way from that at the moment. I have had a Northland Regional Council person climb on board uninvited in the BOI and interrogate my crew in no uncertain manner, when I returned from my swim and realised what he was up to I got rid of the little clown pronto -- they have no right boarding a private vessel. Question where to the increasing number of Superyachts pump out? When in the Bay or at Westhaven.

Question where to the increasing number of Superyachts pump out? When in the Bay or at Westhaven.

The super yachts will most likely have Grade A sewage treatment plants.

Some people may have grade B treatment plants fitted to their yachts and not be aware of the rules.

12A Discharge of Grade B treated sewage in coastal marine area:

(1) Any person may discharge Grade B treated sewage in the coastal marine area from a ship or offshore installation, but must not discharge it—

(a) within 500 metres (0.27 nautical miles) of a marine farm; or

(B) within 500 metres (0.27 nautical miles) of an area that the Minister of Fisheries has declared by notice in the Gazette to be a mataitai reserve under regulations made under section 186 of the Fisheries Act 1996.

(2) A rule may only be included in a regional coastal plan or a proposed regional coastal plan relating to discharges under this regulation if the rule does either or both of the following:

(a) specifies the distances from mean high-water springs or the depth where those discharges may take place for all or any part of the year, being distances of at least 500 metres (0.27 nautical miles) from—

(i) a marine farm; or

(ii) a mataitai reserve:

(B) increases the distance from a marine farm or a mataitai reserve where those discharges may take place for all or any part of the year, being at a distance of more than 500 metres (0.27 nautical miles).

Grade B treated sewage means sewage discharged from a treatment system included in Schedule 7 that is maintained and operated in good working order and in accordance with any instructions of the system’s manufacturer. Schedule 7 includes a list of manufacturing companies, their names, addresses and details of the accepted models. The Grade B models currently include: 

Delta Marine Head. 

Lectra/San, and 

Pursan.

Section 12 allows the discharge of Grade A treated sewage as specified in Schedule 5 and 6 of the Resource Management (Marine Pollution) Regulations 1998 provides the highest level of treatment within the regulations.

Section 12 Discharge of Grade A treated sewage in coastal marine area:

(1) Any person may discharge Grade A treated sewage in the coastal marine area from a ship or offshore installation, but must not discharge it within 100 metres of a marine farm.

(2) Despite subclause (1), a rule may be included in a regional coastal plan or a proposed regional coastal plan if the rule—

(a) relates to discharges of Grade A treated sewage in the internal waters of Fiordland (as defined in section 4 of the Territorial Sea, Contiguous Zone, and Exclusive Economic Zone Act 1977); and

(B) restricts where those discharges may take place, being a distance of at least 100 metres from a marine farm; and

© does not relate to vessels operated by the New Zealand Defence Force.

(3) For the purposes of subclause (2), Fiordland means the coastal marine area between Awarua Point and Sandhill Point. Grade A treated sewage means sewage discharged from a treatment system included in Schedule 5 or Schedule 6 that is maintained and operated in good working order and in accordance with any instructions of the system’s manufacturer.

Honestly how many boats actually have holding tanks installed firstly and secondly what portion of those that do have sufficient capacity to provide for the needs of all on board whilst coastal cruising can and will comply with the practicalities of having to travel 2ks offshore to dispose of the contents.

I can do 7 days with a 60 litre on board holding tank for two persons plus a grand child or 2.

I have yet to make a provision for discharging to a shore based facility.

If the new disposal regime requires a change of behavior on the behalf of coastal boating users regarding the disposal and discharge of onboard black water contents should not the local marinas be promoting and providing more easily available facilities to cope with the growth in demand that these changes now require boat owners to comply with.

capacity to provide for the needs of all on board whilst coastal cruising can and will comply with the practicalities of having to travel 2ks offshore to dispose of the contents.

Your definition of Coastal Cruising maybe slightly different to mine perhaps. I would suggest you are talking more about a Weekender/Day Sailor, rather than Coastal Cruiser. We are talking 2000M away from a shore line and that is not really that far for a Cruiser. A Weekender or Day Sailor is the one going to struggle. They most likely have a simple setup that directly discharges with each use (no holding ability) and maybe Sailing within a Harbor or close proximity to a Shore.

I can do 7 days with a 60 litre on board holding tank for two persons plus a grand child or 2.

That's amazing.

There is a big gap in the market here for boat compatible composting toilets, I know of several compact land based units, whether they would work on a boat, I'm not sure?

Apparently it is still in the USA possible to use bucket and chuck it! Only if it goes through a toilet is it deemed against the law.

The super yachts will most likely have Grade A sewage.

...its probably because of all that beluga caviar....but then...who gets the job of TESTING IT!!?? :crazy:

Northland Regional council has made it an offense to even overnight on a mooring without a holding tank!!

“It’s now illegal to stay overnight in a

mooring area, even at anchor, without

a proper way of containing or treating

your sewage,” says Ricky Eyre, Coastal

Monitoring Programme Manager.

(http://www.nrc.govt.nz/upload/2118/Moor ... 202013.pdf)

So, no anchoring your tinny overnight in the hope of catching a few fish in Northland!!!!!

NZers are suppose to buy them from their local agent..... the one in Australia.

Get a NZ Post You Shop and them buy one from the US. They say they don't ship internationally but the You Shop gets around that.

US$995.00 or A$1149 from Aussie. Plus freight, GST, Customs clearance and etc. Ask them to take sales taxes off and the Aussie mob would probably be the best.

I nearly brought one about 6 weeks ago, still might.... not for the boat.

Archived