Solo Tasman

Island Time

Next two could be a while with the live wind data showing gusts of 0kts

Understand Hupane is somewhere near Nitro

No updates on the main web site would answer the question of why it's hard to get sponsors.

Not even a mention on the TV news, did anyone tell them. Updates with Cory and Dalton would have kept the TV interested.

Great result for Rhys, he could hardly have hoped for better! Kind of different to last time, in a completely different boat.

Congrats Rhys,

Great Job!

I'm amazed how little information the clubs involved in running this race are providing.

If it wasn't for YB most of us following this race would have no idea what was happening out there and now that one of the fastest yachts has stopped sending positions we can only guess who is leading the monos.

I guess all boats are still sending their positions, at least daily, to the organisers. Wouldn't it be great if they were putting these up on the news tab on their web site OR am I just not looking in the right place?

I agree - we've been really disappointed in the lack of communications around this race. I know it's all too easy to criticise when you're not involved, and I'm assuming the race committee are all volunteers, but it really lets the wole event down when all that planning isn't followed up with good, consistent communications.

Can't find anything about him finishing yet. Nothing on the S.T. website or the facebook site. The Webcam shows a yacht on the horizon, out passed the finish line. Pretty much glass calm. Yacht could be Steve or Graham, too far away to tell....

Grahams just finished on Hupane and Steve on Nitro still has a few miles to go

Thought I saw him disappearing out of the camera

Some news

Light headwinds 'parked' Steven Arms' catamaran an excruciating 50 miles from Mooloolaba last night, allowing Rhys Boulton to sail into second place in his 40ft Pogo Krakatoa II. The Kiwi finished at 3.22am to take second place in the Trans Tasman Challenge behind the trimaran Shark Angels. At 7.30am EST Arms was still 24 nm from the finish.

Back in the pack it was another frustrating day of no wind for Lisa Blair on Cator. Her blog this morning reflects her mood:

Yesterday, right after I finished this blog, the boat suddenly went very slow and all the sails started flapping around as the boat rolled in the light swell. I went on deck only to see that I had sailed completely into a wind hole and parked up. There was not even enough wind to feel which direction it was coming from so the boat kept doing circles in the Tasman Sea.

I got so frustrated at one stage that I started shouting at the ropes. I was trying to tack using my 1 knot of speed and as the boat came around the working sheet got caught on something at the mast so I ran forward and freed it up but by the time I had got back the boat was head to wind again, than it tacked itself back on the other tack.

I was so frustrated that I was scalding the jib sheets for not doing what they were supposed to do. If you can imagine it I was standing on the deck of a yacht in the middle of nowhere just shouting at the boat.

I had managed to attract some attention as around me was a flock of curious sea birds. These birds were lucky enough to be able to swim faster than me and as I would drift away from them they would once again fly over to get a closer look. Very entertaining in the testing winds.

Finally after two hours of going nowhere I picked up a light breeze and was off again with the code 0 and the full main. A short time later the breeze built to 14 knots so the code 0 was packed away and I unfurled the jib. Just another morning at sea.

Throughout the day the winds were constantly changing from 5 knots to 13 knots and so I didn’t get the opportunity to get any sleep as I was having to run up on deck as soon as we hit the light winds and hand steer the boat through. By nightfall I was in 15-18 knots of wind close hauled with the winds coming from exactly where I wanted to go so I decided to go west for a while and hopefully pick up the wind shift that was expected.

Not much else happened throughout the night, I put in the second reef at around midnight and tried to get some sleep. At 5.30 this morning though the boat started to get really over-powered so I ran on deck only to see that I was just in front of the leading edge of a large squall (small low pressure system) and the boat was getting 26-28 knots of wind.

Still half asleep I was waiting for my eyes to adjust when a big wave decided to break into the cockpit and go right down my jacket. I shouted at that one too saying ‘alright I’m awake now’

I then tacked the boat as there had been a 180 degree wind shift and I was currently sailing south. Once that was done I cracked all the sheets and ran before the winds at a healthy 8 knots.

The winds and rain stayed around for about an hour until most of the system had passes however I would prefer the wind and rain to the complete lack of wind that was behind this system.

So once again I was left doing circles and drifting around in the Tasman Sea. It was almost another hour later that the breeze started filling in and I am finally making headway to the North. I’d give almost anything for some steady winds.

At 7.30am Lisa was 290 nm from the finish, giving an ETA of around 5.30pm on Saturday if she averages 5 knots.

Her battle with Simon Le Poidivin and Alan Ward continues, with Le Poidivin holding an 18 nm lead over Cator. Ward, who went west looking for wind yesterday, has dropped back and is now 16 nm astern.

I think this statement sums it up

:thumbdown:

Day 8

Congratulations to the only local entry from the starting port of New Plymouth.

So well done Steve Arms sailing your yacht NITRO.

I am hoping you got 3rd place but I haven't yet been able to find this out due to race officials not getting the information to the creator of this site.

I still don't now where Graham Dalton in his yacht Hupane is ???

Has he finished or is he still out there ? can anyone inform us of this.

I would also like to get shots of each of the sailors as soon as they get off their boats in Mooloolaba, but I haven't yet been able to get the race officials to do this for me ... so if anyone can help me out here, that would be great.

Cheers

And from Cory

:thumbup:

Great news from Atom Ant: spirits are much higher on board now as Cory has managed to 'marry' the two autopilots together which has made one steady autopilot. With around 480nm to go let's hope this one sees Cory over the finish line. Winds are very light so sailing is slow but apparently a beautiful sunset can be seen! - Phoebe

Next two boats due in in the next few hours. The Young 11 Outside Edge looks like it will come in slightly ahead of Dabulamanzi, although likely not much in it. Peter has done well on Outside edge to be positioned here in the fleet!

Good to hear Cory has an AP again!

Well Done Peter (Outside Edge)

Only a couple of miles to go now, been following you all the way across. Great effort 3rd mono-hull only the two Classe 40's ahead of you.

You must have got ur Sat Phone going to get the weather info on the laptop after all.

Cheers

Stu

Archived