Cold day at the marina

SanFran

if it's anything like japan

the berth comes with a hardstand position; cradle, autumn lift out, spring lift in

and compulsory "club" days for the lifts

plus really steep annual fees

on the flip side

the boats stay in pretty good nick as the owners have them out of the water for 1/2 their life and nothing to do but check them over and fix things

A friend of mine has a berth in Denmark.. same situation, they have ice flows in winter. He takes his home for the winter, and keeps his 30ft keeler in his backyard. Costs $1200 a year for the berth.. bloody cold = less boats = less demand = cheaper marina !

I met a couple many years ago, that had been in Alaska. They wintered over. I am not sure of the name of the Port and whether they were in the Marina or on the Hard, but the Wife and Kids lived aboard while the Husband went to Sea on a large Fishing Vessel. She said that it was so cold, that even with their Heating running, they had Icicles hanging from the cabin cieling.

At one stage, She and the Kids drove to Anchorage to do shopping and she stopped at a Fuel Station. Not realizing you don't stop a Vehicle in that kind of Temperature, she just turned off the ignition. By the time she was ready to set off again, the Fuel line had frozen.

Blow that, far too cold for me.

Anyway, she eventually couldn't handle the situation on her own with the Kids anymore and asked Hubby to come home. He was winched off the Fishing Vessel by Helicopter and flew home. To their Boat that is. The next day, that Fishing Vessel disappeared with out trace with the loss of all crew. One very lucky fellow.

That is one hard place.

As BP said the advent of thermo tents, that is a structure of timber, poly pipe and plastic that is built over "cruising" boats, plus the use of bubblers, a series of poly pipes with holes drilled in them, strapped around the hull, hooked up to an air compressor, now makes it possible (?!) to over winter on board.

As a reflection, a friend and mentor of mine grew up on an Alasken trawler in the 60s. Timber boats, perhaps 8 knots. No GPS, no life raft. Catch for the year to pay for the rest. No survival suits and regular, random tests by fishing and coast guard to see that the crew could put the gear on in one minute....

The isolation and weather by her recollection was tough, but the brutal treatment of a young woman perhaps harder.

Her resilience and grace to this day, makes me feel a little selfish when I complain when the wind and cold of both the weather and life blows hard.

My Mum said to me two nights ago, 85 years of age,

Now 5 inches shorter with a hunched back...

finding it a bit tough to keep a straight line, in the pouring rain.

"I like the rain" she turned and smiled and meant it.

We visited a logging camp that was just shutting down for the winter (Canada/Alaska border). I went to use an out house. On the wall a thing shaped like a life ring made of 4" polystrene. I asked what it was for : "you put it on the seat in winter so your arse doesn't freeze to the plastic seat- rips the flesh when you try to stand up".

Spent a month in Quebec city in September/October. They were in the process of lifting the boats out when we left.

It's well up the St Lawrence, but a nice spot.

Wind against the tide generates a good chop for wind surfing and a nightmare for sailors.

And the river is supposedly too polluted to swim: the lifeguard at the local beach is there to chase you out of the water (doesn't stop the sailors and boarders though).

Logan

Another issue with bubbling one's boat and living aboard over the winter

is condensation inside due to the big temp difference. I store my 26 footer indoors.

It was so cold around the Great Lakes last winter (colder than most

of Alaska) that engine anti-freeze failed on many boats stored outdoors on shore.

Lots of cracked engine blocks.

[Full disclosure - As a retired bloke, I escaped the dreaded Vortex by leaving for warmer climes.]

But now the sailing weather is fine - yesterday did about 25 NM around Kellys Island from Sanduksy, OH

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6048455,-82.7041672,14z

Aeotearoans are always welcome at the Sandusky Sailing Club.

Lake Boating (6).JPG

Archived