Chartering short handed race boat survey

racecharter

I Did the survey. I like this idea, however, I think that the problem would be that most (who have not done, or especially not PAID FOR a major offshore race) do not understand the costs involved in getting a boat to the start line of a Cat 1 race, ready to go. It's not cheap to get your own boat (if you have a suitable one) ready. I think it may be difficult to get potential sailors to front up with the money in a lump sum.

Also, this idea would give some of us with more cruising oriented boats the opportunity to race on a proper race boat. That certainly has some appeal....

Best of luck with your project!!!

I think that the problem would be that most (who have not done, or especially not PAID FOR a major offshore race) do not understand the costs involved in getting a boat to the start line of a Cat 1 race, ready to go. It's not cheap to get your own boat (if you have a suitable one) ready. I think it may be difficult to get potential sailors to front up with the money in a lump sum.
I concur for 2 reasons. One is I am building a offshore boat for some racing action at the moment and the boat is a cheap part, all the bits you are required to carry, certify, get checked by assorted faceless someone's and so on costs moonbeams. It's all adding up real fast. The other reason is I see peoples reaction to stuff at work. It's surprising to see just what some think simple things like a bit of rope for example can cost.

I like the idea of being able to charter a boat for a race though and I think if the desire is there people will front up if they are serious. Just look at what some are paying just to race between Westhaven and North Head, it's huge. So I think the charter idea could have some legs if done well.

Agree about the costs. We have kept them low(ish) by a very simple design and a 'different' method of chartering. More on this later.

Thanks to everyone who filled in the survey. Without going too deeply into it, the results were as follows:

75% were racers, 95% had offshore experience, 80% want to do more short handed sailing, mostly ocean, 70% own a yacht, 40% were from Aus/NZ, 40% from USA, the rest from Aisa, Europe and other, partly as these places don't have easy access sites like Crew and SA, which is where the vast majority of responses came from.

Dream races were all the usual suspects, with none predominating.

Time and money were why people did not do more, although lack of experience also got a mention.

Twice as many wanted a mono as a multi, but almost all were willing to race something different.

Ideal size was 35-45'.

Priorities from most to least important were: Safety, speed compared to the fleet, ease of use/reliability of boat, budget, reliability of charter company, simplicity of equipment and sailing comfort. These are quite similar to the priorities we assigned.

The average expected to pay for a week's racing was $US7,500. The average prepared to pay was $6,600. This is higher than we expected to charge.

Reasons not to charter were mostly time and money, but experience on the boat and worries about the boat being up to par also got a mention.

These results were mostly as expected, although the number of answers was lower, particularly away from the USA and NZ/Aus. There were enough to justify moving to the next step, which will happen at the end of June. There should be an announcement, including the boat, costs and availability by the end of July. Subject to finance and a whole lot of other stuff, building could commence shortly after.

The survey is still open.

Thanks again.

Rob

Archived