Has anyone here kept a yacht on Lake Taupo?

Island_Moose

There is a marina in town and moorings at Acacia Bay, contact the Taupo council and ask for the Harbour master I am sure they will have all the info you need. 1.2 m draught should not be a problem there.

The channel to the main harbour at the mouth of the Waikato is surprisingly shallow.

Also the marina seems to be "cram them in, use fenders to keep them apart" type of marina rather than the usual type of Marina.

Taupo.png

Also a smallish marina at Motauoapa on the south eastern shores, about 35 - 40km south of Taupo township, and an even smaller one at Tokaanu which is on the southern shores of the lake very close to Turangi.

So far...so bad. The Harbour Master says all berths and moorings have long long waiting lists. I have contacted Kinloch Marina, waiting for a reply.

For such a large and deep lake I am surprised by the lack of permanent facilities.

I guess that one thing against people having yachts of a decent size there is the fact that its not exactly large for cruising. Only taking a few hours to traverse is a limiting factor in my opinion. Hence most of what I have seen there are smaller trailer yachts.

Its not that far to either Napier or Tauranga from Taupo, and that at least leaves you with significant cruising area.

I have a good mooring in Acacia Bay that could be hired for a nominal fee. 50m off the beach in 8m of water and rated up to 10T. PM me if interested, just about to have it re-certified. There is plenty of great cruising in the western bays if you know where to go.

Do a deal and grab the mooring in acacia, its really sheltered in there, you won't get one in town at all anyway, then you can cruise around a bit and figure out where you want to leave it, we keep our boat in the kinloch marina, it's bloody good there and the gateway to the best cruising / sightseeing anyway, approx $ 3,500 per annum rental for a big berth.

Archived