Ross 35

Can anyone tell me anything about the Ross 35's? Like who built them, how many (I see there are 5 on racetrack). How they compare to a 1020? Are they twitchy? stiff? under or over-powered? OK shorthanded? I'm thinking more cruising than racing, but like a boat that sails well.

My Father-in-Law finished off Moby Duck in their driveway and they raced her around the North Island a couple of times. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think there are 3 or 4 different versions. Higher Ground is a fully turboed one I think.

I've looked at a few Ross 35s (not 1066) including Manxman (that is a nice example) but found that the 1/4 berths are like caves and awkward to get in there. Also, the front berth is a bit on the short side plus the cabin height a bit too low with some having strenghtening ribs at a dangerous height.

I went and bought a Young 1034 which is similar in size but far better in all those areas I have just mentioned and has a better layout IMO.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm a bit familiar with the 1066 having sailed on Higher Ground many years ago. Don't see much resemblance to the 35.

Hi All. I am a boatbuilder in Tauranga and sail on Manxman. We are looking at a cockpit rebuild. Would anyone out the have or have access to drawings. We want to create a CAD file to make the design work a bit easier. I think it will be the same as Head Office, Extract digit and Apparition.

Bruce Hopwood  built uptown girl which I think was the first one , I checked it out in the shed just before launching when I was all of 12 years old 😳 . I think he’s still in Auckland somewhere tinkering with marine stuff . He built most models of Ross boats and may know how to get hold of drawings 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Norwester said:

The old Uptown Girl was lost on Pearl and Hermes reef many years ago.

That’s a shame , was it in the pac cup or transpac at the time ? . I think it was built for a kiwi in San Fran ?  I distinctly remember seeing some photos of the “sea trial” which was a cruising holiday . My school mate took some photos of Bruce on the helm coming back from BOI , big grin on his face with the Dinghy out the back just about airborne going down the face of a bloody decent swell . They had a good north east breeze and hooned down the coast back to Auckland 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, waikiore said:

Yes I saw them hard on the wind heading north on that cruise as we were returning from the BOI , was impressed how she was going to weather.

You’ve got a bloody good remember !  That must’ve been 1986-7 ? 

23 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

That’s a shame , was it in the pac cup or transpac at the time ? . I think it was built for a kiwi in San Fran ?  I distinctly remember seeing some photos of the “sea trial” which was a cruising holiday . My school mate took some photos of Bruce on the helm coming back from BOI , big grin on his face with the Dinghy out the back just about airborne going down the face of a bloody decent swell . They had a good north east breeze and hooned down the coast back to Auckland 

She was competing in the Hawaii to Hiroshima Race under Japanese ownership. I can't remember what year that was.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Norwester said:

She was competing in the Hawaii to Hiroshima Race under Japanese ownership. I can't remember what year that was.

Just found a small mention of it but couldn’t copy it . It was leading the race and was called Mimi , year was 1989 apparently they were using “satnav” when they went aground 

• Confused 1