While racing, Maritime Nav Collision Regs do not apply.

sailinghigh

BTW I believe, from once upon a time, Auckland is the only port in the world outside the UK to have TWO ROYAL yacht clubs.

Melbourne has three !

Royal Vic, Royal Melbourne, Royal Brighton

Off Topic... What is the difference between aRoyal Yacht Club and a Royal Yacht Squadron?

How does one become a Royal Club/Squadron?

Yes "White" is for Naval Vessels only normally,

I sailed with The Admiral Sir Gordon Tait - as an Admiral (even when retired) he was entitled to fly a white ensign on a vessel he was on board.

The Colregs mostly apply when racing because, with a few exceptions -- overtaking is especially notable -- the rules are the same. The RRS were established to govern situations not addressed by the Colregs, typically at starts and mark roundings. Even then, port/starboard and windward/leeward form the basis of the RRS, but additions are made to establish either tactical advantage or safety.

For newbies, take the small part of an evening to read Part 2 of the RRS. It won't take long. After you've read them, go out and watch situations develop and try to determine which rule applies and who it favors. Dunno if you have a Kiwi equivalent, but Dave Perry's book about understanding the US version of the RRS (not that different) can be useful. Better still, get to know your local national or international judge and query him or her when you have an issue. Likely the judge will find your interest unusual enough to spend hours pouring over the esoteric corners of the rules.

The Colregs mostly apply when racing because, with a few exceptions -- overtaking is especially notable -- the rules are the same. The RRS were established to govern situations not addressed by the Colregs, typically at starts and mark roundings. Even then, port/starboard and windward/leeward form the basis of the RRS, but additions are made to establish either tactical advantage or safety.

not really, the Coll Regs state that once a risk of collision exits avoiding action should be bold and early, (not exact wording) not something usually seen in racing I would have thought :D

The Search function won't pick it up, but a couple of years back there was a thread on Crew that discussed the RRS, and kiwibardy put up a link to a nice website which had a quiz on the RRS and included situations where the ColRegs also applied. Someone cleverer than me might be able to dig it out...

The elegant rules quiz is from UK (Ulmer Kolius) Sails and can be found on their website. You can also buy the DVD from them.

Grant, you're correct. I was trying to show how the rules are more similar than different and when they differ. But it's also true that both sets of rules forbid contact. Sorta like basketball used to be.

Has there ever been a court ruling re this point.

Apparently yes. There is a summary here http://archive.sailingscuttlebutt.com/news/04/0111pera/

It is a US court ruling, interpreted by a British international judge that states

An important case which will affect judgements of law courts in all countries, and certainly those whose systems are based on English law, has recently been decided in the United States. It sets the International Yacht Racing Rules (now the Racing Rules of Sailing) firmly in place, greatly strengthening the earlier decisions of a hundred years ago.
The elegant rules quiz is from UK (Ulmer Kolius) Sails and can be found on their website.

This is probably getting a little off topic now but there is also a good interactive RRS quiz here http://game.finckh.net/indexe.htm

It's a little less polished than the UK Sails one but no registration or payment required. I don't think it has any reference to Colregs/IRPCS tho.

Has there ever been a court ruling re this point.

Apparently yes. There is a summary here http://archive.sailingscuttlebutt.com/news/04/0111pera/

It is a US court ruling, interpreted by a British international judge that states

An important case which will affect judgements of law courts in all countries, and certainly those whose systems are based on English law, has recently been decided in the United States. It sets the International Yacht Racing Rules (now the Racing Rules of Sailing) firmly in place, greatly strengthening the earlier decisions of a hundred years ago.

Thanks but the decision was never appealed at a higher level and that was a ruling from the US Courts.

That ruling was challenged by the insurance company but they never went on for a court decision. No reason was given.

But knowing insurance Company's, if the courts case costs would prove to be far greater than the claim they settle even by ex Gratia

and there is the saying only in America.

Interesting that Endeavour was judge by the protest committee to at fault only 40% but the other boat could take a claim for damage to his vessel direct to the courts for compensation. Interesting the article does go further and quote the result.

My understanding is Statuary law or conventions ratified by a government can not be over ridden.

So are the NZ Collision regs with Maritime additions, amendments statutory NZ law.

Yes,

Because they are made under delegated authority by Maritime NZ. The originating legislation is the Maritime Transport Act 1993. This act gives MNZ it's powers to promulgate subsidiary legislation.

Anyone remember the Simrad 100 finish a few years ago at 4am off Orakei. After a long spell becalmed in the Rangitoto Channel the fitful incoming breeze collected everyone and brought us all home together. About 100 boats crossed the line in a few minutes, but not without a whole lot of chaos. The wind coming in from behind was bringing trailing boats up the stern of boats ahead.

The shouting of various types of protest and warning was hilarious and seemed to pay little heed to whether colregs or RRS applied. There were certainly a calls for mark room, overlaps made and unmade, luffing rights in that lot. Also a bit of boat on boat action.

'twas substantially busier than any start line I've been on.

Oh yes I remember that one well Bogan, we were 2nd or 3rd boat to park up and just watch this massive array of lights getting closer and closer and stopping. Yeap, the puff came in and it was total chaos for a few minutes.

3 questions never answered in that for us

1 - Who was it that was bogatting the joints? Was almost like a fog bank rolling in at one stage.

2 - What massive brain fart did the Y88 duo have to even consider the idea I would get out of their way when I was on Stb?

3 - Who uttered from the finish boat just as the gust started to move the fleet 'Oh sh*t here they all come'. That was bloody funny as the tone was one of near terror :lol:

Do accidents whilst racing have to be reported to MSA.

Via

1. Recreational vessel or craft accident or incident report form.

2. Injured person report for.

From their web site MSA.

When do I need to report an accident?

You must report an accident “as soon as practicable”. This means as soon as you are able to do so after you have secured the safety of people, your boat, and the environment, and when you have an available means of communication.

Sorry, due to the lack of a question mark in any position, I can't tell whether:

(a) You are asking "Do accidents whilst racing have to be reported to MSA?" i.e. do they need to be reported at all?

or,

(B) You are stating it as a fact that they DO need to be reported to MSA, but you are asking is the correct way to report them via:

1. A recreational vessel or craft accident or incident report form?

or is it via:

2. An injured person report form?

Which of those two questions are you asking, or are you asking something else entirely?

Do accidents whilst racing have to be reported to MSA ?

Via The

1. Recreational vessel or craft accident or incident report form ?

2. Injured person report for ?

From their web site MSA.

When do I need to report an accident?

You must report an accident “as soon as practicable”. This means as soon as you are able to do so after you have secured the safety of people, your boat, and the environment, and when you have an available means of communication.

use to be an old saying

if in doubt go about.

never assume have been seen and the non racing vessel is going to give room.

comes down to courtesy,when cruising i try to give way to those racing.

the fun bit is when 2/3 clubs are using the same rounding mark.

Archived