CNC Foam for centreboard

Did there used to be an advertiser here who could CNC some foam core for a centreboard?

If not, what's preferred for a sunburst centreboard? Get some cedar?

Need to decide if I'm going to rebuild the case to go from 25mm to 30 mm

If you have a solid model file, send it to a few of the smaller kitchen kitset makers. 90% of them have a 100mm Z machine for router cutting. They're a fraction of the price of the usual big machine CNC guys. A mate and I had a set of female MDF Jolly boat rudder and centreboard moulds machined by Alan Walker in Opua, BOI for $300. That's a bargain.

Alan Walker

arwalker@coastdesign.co.nz

Failing that, my Jolly moulds might even be good for the sunny. What are the dims you need?

Did there used to be an advertiser here who could CNC some foam core for a centreboard?

If not, what's preferred for a sunburst centreboard? Get some cedar?

Need to decide if I'm going to rebuild the case to go from 25mm to 30 mm

What section and planform are you going with, Im about to do exactly the same thing. Ive already pulled the case to get a 30mm board in.

Is a foam core allowed or does it have to be wood?

Good point, foam might not be allowed. Rules don't say it is, but don't say it has to be wooden either.

Ii need to figure out if redoing the case on an old glass boat is going to be worthwhile, has 25mm already. That may or may not lead to a new foil......

Failing that, my Jolly moulds might even be good for the sunny. What are the dims you need?

Sunburst centreboard has to fit in a square 1310mm x 300mm. Max thickness 30mm.

The only down side to foam used in centerboards is that they will need some kind of hold down device as the buoyancy will probably be greater.

We did a new foam cored rudder for a Farr 11.6 and had a hell of a job installing it with the boat in the water. Despite the weight of the stock and tangs the rudder still had so much buoyancy it was very hard to sink and keep vertical. We compromised by shortening up the mooring flooding the anchor well and putting a plastic 44 gal drum on the foredeck which was also was filled with water. We also shifted a lot of gear around in the boat. This lifted the stern about 300 mm making it easier to get the stock entered into the lower bearing.

If doing the same job again I would just do it on the grid or when the boat is hauled out, a lot less work involved.

Just wondering what gains you expect in using foam over something like cedar.

weight reduction would be small and being in the middle of the boat have a negligible effect on the boats performance. On a high performance skiff it may be an advantage but on a boat like a sunburst it's probably better to concentrate on removing the same amount of weight out of the ends of the boat rather than the middle

Archived