New Boats

Black Panther

I've decided that we take this crap far too seriously. Just looked on the SMH website - no article on the AC on the main page - only appears half way down the Sport page. And as for the SFC - well, no article - nada - zip - zero - doesn't even rate a mention in Larry's home town. So the defender's home base doesn't give a monkeys and the DoC's home base can barely barely get put of bed for it.

Dalts will put the challenge deposit together - hell Larry might even flick it across the table to him as it will serve his purposes. I think he plays on the 'poor little 3rd world kiwis' taking on the big guns very well when it comes to putting the coin together so wouldn't be surprised if we are there. But I'm with others here - we could chase every other yachting trophy on the planet with the same money - round the world record etc. The trouble is that this thing still captures the interest of the general public in this country and regrettably that is what will ultimately dictate whether the govt stumps up and then whether other sponsors come on board.

Lets face it it will be no more difficult than last time or any other time.

Yes it will. Having 2 boats is a significant advantage in many ways. Also how do you convince a sponsor to invest into designing and building an ac62 with no guarantee that it will even get to race if the challenger is knocked out in the ac45 elimination series? Only 4 teams will get to play in their ac62's. I am all in favour of tnz putting together a challenge if they are given a fighting chance but no potential challenger will get a fair fight as the format stands.

Yes it will. Having 2 boats is a significant advantage in many ways. Also how do you convince a sponsor to invest into designing and building an ac62 with no guarantee that it will even get to race if the challenger is knocked out in the ac45 elimination series? Only 4 teams will get to play in their ac62's. I am all in favour of tnz putting together a challenge if they are given a fighting chance but no potential challenger will get a fair fight as the format stands.

No it won't! Oracle had 2.5 boats last time. Remember!

I think that the best thing that could happen would be for no one to enter and make it clear that it is in protest. I can't see that happening though and I imagine Ellison wouldn't care, because it isn't about winning the Cup to Him, it's about keeping the Cup in the Glass case to show off to his friends. But it may upset the ones like Couts and the rest of the team because to them, it is about the competing for the Cup..

I've decided that we take this crap far too seriously. Just looked on the SMH website - no article on the AC on the main page - only appears half way down the Sport page. And as for the SFC - well, no article - nada - zip - zero - doesn't even rate a mention in Larry's home town. So the defender's home base doesn't give a monkeys and the DoC's home base can barely barely get put of bed for it.

Dalts will put the challenge deposit together - hell Larry might even flick it across the table to him as it will serve his purposes. I think he plays on the 'poor little 3rd world kiwis' taking on the big guns very well when it comes to putting the coin together so wouldn't be surprised if we are there. But I'm with others here - we could chase every other yachting trophy on the planet with the same money - round the world record etc. The trouble is that this thing still captures the interest of the general public in this country and regrettably that is what will ultimately dictate whether the govt stumps up and then whether other sponsors come on board.

Concur... It's a pissing contest for people with lots of money... NZ seems to be the only team that are really interested in sailing... Don't dream about people not entering in protest, the usual suspects will be there, Ellison, Bertelli etc... and this time throw Oatley in to the mix as well, all with plenty of $$ to throw at it...

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see an ETNZ entry this year... Not sure they're going to be able to pull the $$ together in time, unless of course Uncle Larry does throw us a bone...

I've decided that we take this crap far too seriously.
We indeed do. I was sussing the sponsors pack of the Volvo and it, as they do, contained a lot of media break downs of coverage on the last event. Of all radio stations in the world one did more Volvo reporting than any other and by a massively long way, it was IZB sport in NZ. Similar with TV stations, TV1 in NZ lead by a country mile. People thru venues, China got a very good 9000 odd a day, other places 2-3-4 thousand each day, NZ's viaduct got 54,000. NZ does watch this stuff way way more than anywhere else.
Yes it will - even more so this time round. 2 boats plus 2 venues - no prizes for guessing the motivation behind that!

Cheaper boats and only one for the challenger.

I say no difference. Plus more profile for sponsors.

Same shite different day..

I've decided that we take this crap far too seriously.
We indeed do. I was sussing the sponsors pack of the Volvo and it, as they do, contained a lot of media break downs of coverage on the last event. Of all radio stations in the world one did more Volvo reporting than any other and by a massively long way, it was IZB sport in NZ. Similar with TV stations, TV1 in NZ lead by a country mile. People thru venues, China got a very good 9000 odd a day, other places 2-3-4 thousand each day, NZ's viaduct got 54,000. NZ does watch this stuff way way more than anywhere else.

Some people do because they see their taxes going to elite sports that take the cash and lose on a continued basis. Yet the sportsman seem to end up with million dollar houses, flash cars, and trips to everywhere all the time.

Basketball, tennis, rugby league, yachting, golf, ... you name it!

Then they see orgnizations like Hospice, home of compassion, .... struggling to survive, and go - :wtf: :shock: :crazy:

Don't like the idea of the big format changes. The wait for R1 to see who may have an edge is the most exiting part of the whole event since they stopped sailing in weather and went to follow the leader courses.

It'll be 2.5 boats this time also. So the hulls have to come out of the same mould. Big Deal. The main criteria for the hulls will be volume up front and you can make big changes with the 20% rule.

The rule is written perfectly for the defender.

Go aggressive with boat 1, if that doesn't work bring boat 2 back towards where the challengers are (they would have plenty of data by the time boat 2 hits the water. Hell they could even go more aggressive if they want to), then they'll have a couple of months to modify boat 1 to where ever they want before the match starts.

The challenger can't do anything with their boat cause it needs to be on the water every day.

That's not difficult, that's damned near impossible.

It'll be 2.5 boats this time also. So the hulls have to come out of the same mould. Big Deal. The main criteria for the hulls will be volume up front and you can make big changes with the 20% rule.

The rule is written perfectly for the defender.

Go aggressive with boat 1, if that doesn't work bring boat 2 back towards where the challengers are (they would have plenty of data by the time boat 2 hits the water. Hell they could even go more aggressive if they want to), then they'll have a couple of months to modify boat 1 to where ever they want before the match starts.

The challenger can't do anything with their boat cause it needs to be on the water every day.

That's not difficult, that's damned near impossible.

Yip. But Dalton and co will go again because the pay packets are to bloody good to turn down and there is 13 years of unfinished business.

I remember Oracle having 2.5 boats as a result of circumstances, not planning. I have no problem with this as it was all within the rules - rules that were the same for both defender AND challenger.

Your argument is 2.5 boats vs 2 didn't make the cup any more difficult to win. It didn't, your logic is flawed because the choice to make extensive modifications was also available to the challengers under the same set of rules, had they seen opportunities to make improvements.

2 boats vs 1 however is a significant advantage. Historically, how many 1 boat campaigns have won the americas cup during the era of 2 boat campaigns?

I think you are missing the point, its not about how many boats each team is allowed. The point is that there are now 1 sets of rules for the challengers and another set favouring the defender.

OK I agree. But have you considered the reality of last time was not he number of boats that was an issue but the ETNZ's ability to evolve the boats they had when Oracle reacted to ETNZs faster boat.

More boats will not win the AC if they are slow.

Oracle had a faster boat but took 9 races to get it humming. ETNZ had the faster boat ( maxed out) up to 8 wins to1 but failed to find an extra gear ( fairings and Pie warmer was where they wasted time and effort)

At the end of the day ETNZ had 2 boats, no protest, no crew kicked out, no capsize/damage and still lost.

It only take one boat to win the AC.

And... there is no rule against challenges getting together with their one boat and comparing what they have.

Now that would upset Larry and Russ!

Spithill frothing at the mouth, seems to be towing the party line

http://tvnz.co.nz/breakfast-news/maybe-they-ve-got-wrong-people-running-team-nz-jimmy-spithill-video-5993273

Dalton certainly has a way with words

http://tvnz.co.nz/breakfast-news/grant-dalton-accuses-oracle-protocol-bias-video-5993275

Sounds like they will definitely be competing to me but time will tell I guess.

NZ still has not won the Clipper Round the World race.

There are twice the number of yachts in the current edition of the Clipper as there are entered in the Volvo.

http://www.clipperroundtheworld.com/

The yachts have already been built.

The crew can pay their own way and the Government might have change left if they put up a similar amount for a Clipper yacht (as they funded ETNZ for the last America's Cup.)

The Clipper course has been to China so provides a NZ brand awareness opportunity for tourism, trade etc.

Yip. But Dalton and co will go again because the pay packets are to bloody good to turn down and there is 13 years of unfinished business.

Probably.

Archived