SSANZ Safety at Sea Two Handed Triple Series

Jon

Finished up with 11 x 88's (including the fleet grandparent Tickled Pink). Some of the regulars are missing but great to see lots of new boats joining.

The two different PredictWind models are back in alignment at fresh to frightening for the SSANZ Baltic 50 http://ssanz.co.nz/.....

10532923_253371814787081_7864977140905123429_o.png

Looks end result will depend how fast the systems move in the next 48hrs.

For those who can't make it on the water there is an opportunity to race from the comfort of your PC your on a virtual Y88 at http://www.sailonline.org/blog/2014/jul ... ries-2014/ Anyone got any experience or advice re online racing ...

We can offer up a prize of a bottle of Mount Gay's finest for the overall winner from both worlds. Of course it can only be a virtual bottle for those online :D

10527867_253386734785589_6136842412865750245_n.jpg

Hi Jono,

Yes mention was made of the short course by Jon H (who is race officer ) --also be aware of changes to sailing instructions and courses due to missing buoys (Motihue green , Navy buoy--browns island ) .Also a strong message was sent about safety , skippers decision to sail , and that SSANZ would start /finish the race and it was up to the skippers to decide whether to go or not .

Sea state appears to be down a bit at the moment

aaaaaaaaaaand just in case you're not racing but would like to stooge around the course, why not do so by keeping your feet and extremities dry by racing on Sailonline

The format is similar to previous years, but the Sailonline Race Committee (who now sets the calendar 3m in advance) has flipped us back to the Young 88. The past few years we've been using the former Fineline Y11 polar, so it will make a change.

Here's the Race Info from the Sailonline Homepage - definitely not too late to get involved!

:thumbup:

2014 Safety at Sea SSANZ Triple - Baltic 50

Welcome to the Baltic 50, Race 1 of three races making up this year's trio of races from SSANZ. Sailing Young 88s we will be taking on the real fleet in a Hauraki Gulf classic.

Race #714

NOR from brainaid.de

Young 88 POLAR

WX Updates: 0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230

Ranking: SSANZ Trio-SYC

Race starts: Jul 11th 21:00utc

SSANZ Baltic 50

The start is postponed

The first warning signal will not be before 10:55 hrs

More details to follow @ ssanz.co.nz home page.

The Nowcasting would suggest the front is moving over the course right now, the winds are dropping and backing.

Now if the bloody rain would stop..............

Better finish my coffee and get ready to go for a boat.

I got the text! so it did work...

Anyway with the number of smartphones now I'm wondering if there is a need for the txt service (particularly if it's not consistently reliable) as everyone can just view the webpage.

It would have been nice if more boats used the PredictWind tracker app...

Just add it as a requirement to go into the draw for the spinnaker next time.

But how many phones last 11-12 hours tracking? i had to have mine plugged into the main battery all day, as it goes flat too fast. Could be tricky for some.

Just add it as a requirement to go into the draw for the spinnaker next time.

But how many phones last 11-12 hours tracking? i had to have mine plugged into the main battery all day, as it goes flat too fast. Could be tricky for some.

I actually did it but had loged onto the wrong race. Did the simrad 50 by mistake. Wonder how many people did the same thing.

What sail was activator using?

http://ssanz.co.nz/documents/eventsPDFs/hivolt.pdf

Protest not upheld. Do we expect such sails to appear in rum races (or are they already)? See ssanz website for details.

From what I understand after reading the decision, its just a jibtop, been around for decades.. Still attached to the forestay.

Looks like they are rated for it under phrf with a biggest jib LP over 9m.

I see no problem. Basically just changing to a bigger headsails for the run.

Archived