Marine BBQ

Hi there,

Where is the best place to get a cheep marine BBQ, been looking around and the cheapest I can find is around $200...

Any ideas much appreciated.

Cheers

I can advise you that if cheap is what you pay, cheap is what you'll get. You will have heard this a million times before but not all stainless steel is actually stainless. So if you want cheap then expect a poor cooking performance and a short life before the guts fall apart.

I inherited a Magma gas bbq which was around 5 years old when I got it, and it lived on my boat for over 10 years. The only maintenance I had to do was replace the bricks and the mesh that they sit on - once. Once a year I would clean the gas jet out at the beginning of summer as it usually blocked up after a winter of being damp and unused while it sat in the cockpit locker. It provided excellent heat and cooked food well.

An added bonus was that I had it set up to mount on the pushpit, and in drifter races we used to fire it up and cook steaks on it which demoralised the opposition as the aroma wafted through the fleet. :lol:

Hope this helps.

I can advise you that if cheap is what you pay, cheap is what you'll get.

+1

Cheap and marine don't really go together. The best you can probably do is a quality second hand unit. I bought and sold a rail mount Magma on TradeMe (actually sold it for more than it cost me).

Agreed, pretty hard to go past the Magma. Might cost a bit more but it's the only one you will ever have to buy.

We just run ours off canisters as it's rarely on the boat and gas regs are a pain.

Our Boat came with a cheap BBQ. Tried to use it once. The flame would blow out in the slightest of breeze and you wouldn't know till you realized it wasn't cooking. Then you try relighting it over and over till eventually enough gas built up to then cause a "BooommFF" and singed all the hairs off the back of your hand. I ended up trading it for an anchor, which was better than turning the BBQ into an anchor.

Archived