TNZ on TV3 at 7pm tonite, 17th June

The offensive battle for the public wallet is gearing up :lol: :lol:

Just watched Camnell and his best mate/neighbour Dean do the "lets spin a advert for TNZ" to get the public back on side.

Dean is just not credible and his answers, to pre loaded questions, were poor and feeble.

Having a platform designed by the same old " Pie warmer designers" does not justify your team nor its income.

Can a member of Parliament request, under the official information act, a breakdown of ...Where all the money went. That would be very interesting.

Campbell is so biased. I remember the exclusive interview he got with dean post the last race loss, despite TVOne being a team sponsor. He was just there to help dean and did not ask one hard question or probe any detail.

Not with you on this X, I reckon the design team is the equal of any. If it was not for them you would not have seen fully foiling boats last time. It was the management decisions that caused etnz to fail to collect the cup. IMO, of course.

Agree the decision making of Dalts was dodgy but I view it this way...

The ETNZ design team did design the foiling concept and as such had a huge advantage and more time to develop the system, system control, and refine the foiling speed and everythjng else to go faster.

Yet what did they do to evolve the boat foiling abilities....

pie warmerss and beam fairings.

Meanwhile at Camp Oracle they had to learn to design foils, learn to foil, then had the big crash and splash to recover from. They were well behind ETNZ yet continued to evolve foil design ( controll , trim, ...) and as such became faster upwind.

Meanwhile back at camp ETNZ their design teams pie warmer did nothing to enhance speed, their designers ran out of ideas on the foil evolution front and Dalton gave oracle a day to tweak the foil control and win the AC.

So from this perspective ETNZ had a good design team that then evolved to a average design team. Oracle had a great design team that became a superb design team-

The MotoGP on Chl 13 is way better.

Not a hard sail in site but a lot of cool fast bikes and hot chicks with painted on clothes :lol: :lol:

Nope, don't agree with that either. It was a etnz management decision that the self leveling foil control system would be illegal. The designers had come up with it, but it was discarded due to this decision. It was the way forward for performance, effectively another gear, as we saw with oracle....

Not a hard sail in site but a lot of cool fast bikes and hot chicks with painted on clothes :lol: :lol:

True but the footy world cup blows it away in terms of shear numbers of good looking woman in the crowd.

The Brazilians... oh la la

True but the footy world cup blows it away in terms of shear numbers of good looking woman in the crowd.

Nope, don't agree with that either. It was a etnz management decision that the self leveling foil control system would be illegal. The designers had come up with it, but it was discarded due to this decision. It was the way forward for performance, effectively another gear, as we saw with oracle....

True but the designers could have challenged that... as Oracles designers did.

Oracle's management put in the question to the Jury. Both teams have rules experts.

I'm sure that the ETNZ designers didn't/don't make the final decisions on rules. That is what it came down to IMO...a misinterpretation of what would be allowed. The mistake was ETNZ did not ASK the jury if it (the herbie idea) would be ok, they presumed it would not with their interpretation of the rules. BIG mistake, cost us the cup.

Also, depending on whom you talk to, it is unclear if the allowance of the herbie was fully understood by the Jury - ie that is was a semi-automated device to control foils. That was NOT stated in the question posed to the jury - just would a device like this be allowable?

Well SX you are definitely in the same camp as Paul Henry aren't you! :D I was watching the show last night and he was having another go at TNZ and said bluntly the GD should go and BB should be put in his place. I remember thinking, gee he sounds like Sailor X! :D

I don't think that GD should automatically be summarily dismissed but if this is truly not an autocratic organisation, there would be no reason why both of them shouldn't put their cases forward and then the best man wins.

I think it is a pity they put Dean Barker on TV as he clearly doesn't do the TV thing well. As I've stated elsewhere he is a good man with a huge amount to offer. Probably best to keep him out of the TV limelight and let him apply for his role and let the best man win.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Na, Soccer is like the AC, starts with flash and promise but quickly becomes ho hum.

Mind you there is passing and huge crowds at the World Cup, something the AC didn't have :lol: :lol:

And while here I'll chuck a +1 at AA last post.

Well SX you are definitely in the same camp as Paul Henry aren't you! :D I was watching the show last night and he was having another go at TNZ and said bluntly the GD should go and BB should be put in his place. I remember thinking, gee he sounds like Sailor X! :D

I don't think that GD should automatically be summarily dismissed but if this is truly not an autocratic organisation, there would be no reason why both of them shouldn't put their cases forward and then the best man wins.

I think it is a pity they put Dean Barker on TV as he clearly doesn't do the TV thing well. As I've stated elsewhere he is a good man with a huge amount to offer. Probably best to keep him out of the TV limelight and let him apply for his role and let the best man win.

I am Paul Henry :(

Good point and can see a place for Dalts as a money / kick ass man, but not anything else.

Barker may be a good guy but he sure is feeble and lack confidence in interviews. But that, for me, is replicated in his sailing. He is just not in the same league as Coutts, Spit hill...

His record in the high pressure, high octane, stuff is not there and this is proven with his record at Olympics and AC. Even his attempt at the A class was a flop.

Sorry, for me he has to be told to get into another class and go win a world champ or two and go enjoy sailing. I think his "nice guy" low key / "non go for the throat" style and personality could rub off on other guys in the team

When you look at winners like Coutts, spit hill, Conners, Ainslie, (could you ever see dean jump out of his boat and go whack an official), Cayard, Bertrand, .... they all have an edge to them. They are a bit brash, confident, speak well and confidently, are not afraid to talk the talk and are not to PC. Dean will never be in that mould! And thus will not and has not won the big events.

Dean needs a tostesterone (spell check!.) Injection and a attitude implant.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Na, Soccer is like the AC, starts with flash and promise but quickly becomes ho hum.

Mind you there is passing and huge crowds at the World Cup, something the AC didn't have :lol: :lol:

And while here I'll chuck a +1 at AA last post.

The only way to get crowds at the AC is to put it in a stadium and go the RC (remote controlled not Russ coutts) way or build floating stadia.... or?....

Get a Swedish volley ball team entry 8)

Also I negate your +1 with a -1. But I see his point of view.

Not with you on this X, I reckon the design team is the equal of any. If it was not for them you would not have seen fully foiling boats last time. It was the management decisions that caused etnz to fail to collect the cup. IMO, of course.

Well I thought foiling multihulls have been around for at least 30 years. The previous world speed record holder was a fully foiling trimaran.

HydroptereRB181.jpg

1560d1092279448-hydrofoils-ocean-racing-sailboats-foiling5.jpg

1575d1092423086-hydrofoils-ocean-racing-sailboats-monitor.jpg

1.jpg

SH

Come on SH, stating irrelevant facts!! None of those vessels had to sail within the AC class rules. Which, to my (agreed somewhat limited) knowledge were written to purposely avoid fully foiling....

Dalton has been doing the same thing with paper reports and now has to spin the spin to get sponsors / govt / private investors to believe he has a chance.

The America's cup is about Money, Billionaires , glory and the winner making the rules to make it as hard as possible for the winner to loose it. That's why America held it so long before loosing it the first time..

If SD and Chicago go the same way as SF which is likely as American's aren't turned on to the yachting. Speed boats yes.

Then Bermuda?

Well whom will Sponsor and what TV organisation channel would be interested in paying to air.

When Dennis Conner re won the Cup for the nyyc hardly anybody except the New York public knew - realised.

Archived