Wickedly bad timing

love the pissing contest but has anyone actually looked at the numbers for govt spending? all the talk of what the $38M investment could have done is great but the reality is the TNZ funding was loose change.

From the NZ Treasury website in 2012/13 they spent $26.3B on social security and welfare or $72.5M/day, $13.9B on health ($14.7B for 2013/14) or $38M/day and $13.4B on education or $36.7M/day!! While it sounds like a big sum i doubt that an extra $104K per day would really be noticed in the scheme of the above expenditure

love the pissing contest but has anyone actually looked at the numbers for govt spending? all the talk of what the $38M investment could have done is great but the reality is the TNZ funding was loose change.

From the NZ Treasury website in 2012/13 they spent $26.3B on social security and welfare or $72.5M/day, $13.9B on health ($14.7B for 2013/14) or $38M/day and $13.4B on education or $36.7M/day!! While it sounds like a big sum i doubt that an extra $104K per day would really be noticed in the scheme of the above expenditure

Brilliant. Thanks for that.

Maybe I've missed something going through this thread. Maybe I am being too simple.

Basing this on what I've read here, if the government invested $40m and received more than $40m back in taxes that arguably wouldn't have existed if there wasn't a ETNZ based entry (the boat building may have gone elsewhere) then aren't they ahead on their / our investment.

Therefore isn't that recycled $40m now available to invest now into social issues? The Govt spent it and got it back?

On top of that didn't NZ receive a host of intangible benefits from the exposure that will ultimately flow through to the marine and tourism sectors.

So they way I see it:

- Govt invested $40m

- Govt got $40m + back

- NZ received intangible benefits from the exposure

- The $40m is there to be spent on social issues

Surely IF the model still works, wouldn't it make sense to consider doing it again?

Hey pottblack I don't see a pissing contest, just a group of people with differing points of view, and no matter what reason any of us bring to the forum, no one is prepared to understand the logic or lack of it, of the others. Seems fine to me.

SX I think we (I mean we as in collectively all of us) are going to have to agree to disagree. There seems to be two trains of thought and I can't see this going anywhere from here except around in circles.

I do enjoy your thought provoking posts though.

Archived