new to me boat project, storfidra 26

Now sitting in the car waiting for the Admiral.

Does that mean you'll be ok now, or that you knew it was pin 5?

Port settings are normally 4800bps, 8, none and 1. It is VERY unlikely you'll need to change the buffers etc.

If you are stuck, tell me the make and model of the Gps and I'll give you the connections.

thanks for this coaching

misremembered the pin number

pin 5 was the one i was using , (1,2,3,4,5 top of serial plug, 6,7,8,9 bottom row)

the nmea output from the garmin128 i think i have correct as i have the pinout and used it to connect the nmea to the vhf

i'm suspecting the new super-cheap usb converter isn't working right...will see if i can test it somehow here at home

No problem. What version of windows? Does the usb-serial adapter have a red or yellow exclamation mark by it in device manager - or even maybe does not appear in device manager?

When I'm on a pc again, rather than my phone, I'll give you the cable connections. Tomorrow.

32bit serial adapter for use on a winxp netbookj

showing up fine in the device manager, no driver problems etc

have found details of an adapter loopback test and will try it out tomorrow on the old netbook which i left on the boat

have the adapter here but can't test it on this 64bit win7 computer

if i can't nut it out tomorrow i may take you up on your offer

I had exactly the same issues a while back and it was the USB-serial converter. Need to spend a couple of extra bucks and get a goodie. I tried 4 and the most expensive worked. Funny that, I don't practice what I preach sometimes. :shh:

yup, not getting anything with the loop back test so may try taking it back for another one

meanwhile, the heart transplant team has finished with the heavy work

so next week is sewing up the arteries and getting back to beat

engineswap.jpg

the last few days have been plumbing the new craftsman cm2.16, (mitsubishi 2LE) back where the vetus 2.06 (mitsubishi 2LE) used to be

the vetus had the optional zf10m gearbox with 2.72:1 reduction ratio

the craftsman (cheap new/old stock) came with the standard zf10m with 2:1 reduction ratio

so to avoid changing the propellor the plan was always to keep the vetus box

also had decided to try and use the still good, 2006, vetus; engine mounts, starter motor, control panel + looms...but the vetus loom's relay box didn't fit the holes on the slightly different craftsman bell housing, so used the new loom

which meant also had to use the new alternator and control panel so the different plugs fit and then the new starter motor as well as the start relay piggy backed on top was 90degrees different to allow space for the bigger alternator's power terminals

so in the end just the vetus engine mounts got reused

wish i had just fitted the new engine straight as pulling all those bits off and then putting them, all back on when they didn't fit wasted a day or so

and then when the engine wouldn't start i had messed with so many variables it took even longer to pull everything off again to check the loom and earths again etc

the start problem was that the starter wouldn't turn over

suspected earths as could hear a relay chattering

cleaned; loom -ve, battery to engine -ve and battery -ve terminal + cable faces

still no turn

after more pondering cleaned the battery +ve post, cable ends and terminal

and the engine chugged into life

not a moment too soon as in 3 hours vindil had to be off the mooring and at the finger wharf for a haul-out that was booked 3 weeks ago

issy sunsetsm.jpg::

boat coming along well, living the dream :razz:

tonight's sunset at isslington bay

still amazed that can web a pic while reading email at anchor 

(small screen phone connected to old xp notebook which will double as nav computer once connected to gps)

to round out this "beginner buys cheap old boat + discovers expensive problems "

thread may as well add this engine start video from last year

and some sailing videos

all good

• Upvote 1

back when looking to buy Vindil in 2014

had asked the DPO - dreaded previous owner -  when the 2 jib + 2 mast winches had last been serviced

the reply 

"lubed for life aren't they?"

but after a year of my use the dry, high pitched ring from their ratchets kind of screamed that this wasn't so, + everything inside was very dry and needed grease

gallery_1988_27_35601.jpg

first off, with a standard screwdriver, were the mast winch caps 

gallery_1988_27_32749.jpg

then a cir-clip, + off came the drum safely with with no springs or pawls firing off over the side

so greased the spindles, the 2 pawl shafts and back then went together

then the old base driven jib winches

gallery_1988_27_13095.jpg

another simple slotted screw head and they gave up their guts to grease on the dry main spindle and pawl pivots

gallery_1988_27_202073.jpg

on a roll now so next was the slightly more complicated 20? year old simpson - lawrence vertical, manual capstan

stumped here with no screw visible so it was off to the net for the opening step

gallery_1988_27_415700.jpg

gallery_1988_27_624620.jpg

gallery_1988_27_487187.jpg

gallery_1988_27_161896.jpg

now all back together, turning a tiny bit stickier with the grease and a little more muffled

next year will probably do it all again

(+ now know the little springs in the spare parts box are for the old swedish winch pawls)