Another NorEaster on its way!

Rats

Those buoys have an accelerometer and double integrate to get displacement so would be ok for nice sinusoidal waves, but when things are irregular the errors will be large.

Same idea as using your smartphone as a position sensor based off accelerometer(not gps, that's different). Not that good.

+1, wot he said. Just more inaccurate reporting :problem:

Especially when the photos of the submerged boats have them in Opua and then Paihia marina .... same boats just photos taken from different side of the pier!

Sad to see them, where ever the geographically challenged stuff website has them located.

Here is an interesting chart.

Of course there will be other influences like Tide, Depth and Sea floor variations that will vary wave height.

Wind speed is 1-3 mph/kts; wave height is >.5 ft. Ripples with the appearance of scales are formed, but without foam crests.

Light Breeze - 2

Wind speed is 4-7 mph/4-6 kts; wave height is >1 ft. Small wavelets, still short, but more pronounced. Crests have a glassy appearance and do not break.

Gentle Breeze - 3

Wind speed is 8-12 mph/7-10 kts; wave height is 2-3 ft. Large wavelets. Crests begin to break. Foam of glassy appearance. Some whitecaps.

Moderate Breeze - 4

Wind speed is 13-18 mph/11-16 kts; wave height is 3.5-5 ft. Small waves, becoming larger; fairly frequent whitecaps.

Fresh Breeze - 5

Wind speed is 19-24 mph/17-21 kts; wave height is 6-8 ft. Moderate waves, taking a more pronounced long form; many whitecaps are formed. Chance of some spray.

Strong Breeze - 6

Wind speed is 25-31 mph/22-27 kts; wave height is 9-13 ft. Large waves begin to form; the white foam crests are more extensive everywhere. Probably some spray. If the storm forms in the tropics, a 6 or 7 on the Beaufort Scale corresponds to a Tropical Depression's wind speed as it develops first into a Tropical Storm, and if it strengthens, a hurricane.

Near Gale - 7

Wind speed is 32-38 mph/28-33 kts; wave height is 13-19 ft. Sea heaps up and white foam from breaking waves begins to be blown in streaks along the direction of the wind.

Gale - 8

Wind speed is 39-46 mph/34-40 kts; 19-25 ft. wave height is 18-25 ft. Moderately high waves of greater length; edges of crests begin to break into spindrift. The foam is blown in well-marked streaks along the direction of the wind. If the storm forms in the tropics, once the wind reaches speeds above 38 mph, it is categorized as a Tropical Storm and given a name.

Severe Gale - 9

Wind speed is 47-54 mph/41-47 kts; wave height is 23-32 ft. High waves. Dense streaks of foam along the direction of the wind. Crests of waves begin to topple, tumble and roll over. Spray may affect visibility.

Storm - 10

Wind speed is 55-63 mph/48-55 kts; wave height is 29-41 ft. Very high waves with long overhanging crests. The resulting foam, in great patches, is blown in dense white streaks along the direction of the wind. On the whole the surface of the sea takes on a white appearance. The 'tumbling' of the sea becomes heavy and visibility is affected.

Violent Storm - 11

Wind speed is 64-72 mph/56-63 kts; wave height is 37-52 ft. Exceptionally high waves (small and medium-size ships might be for a time lost to view behind the waves). The sea is completely covered with long white patches of foam lying along the direction of the wind. Everywhere the edges of the wave crests are blown into froth. Visibility affected.

Hurricane - 12

Wind speed is 73-83 mph/64-71 kts; wave height is over 45 ft. The air is filled with foam and spray. Sea completely white with driving spray; visibility very seriously affected. A 12 on the Beaufort Scale corresponds to a Category 1 Hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Scale, the scale by which hurricanes are measured.

Hi guys, I arrived back in Opua from Christchurch yesterday after a long day's travel due to cancelled Kerikeri flight. SH11 was closed just past Kawakawa but Moerewa was just passable with caution, though very marginal and I wouldn't be surprised if they had closed it soon after we got through at around 4pm.

On the subject of the boats lost, one of them was sadly mine. I don't know the full story yet - I plan to speak to people who were on the scene to find out. From what I gather from fraught phonecalls on the night, a larger boat broke free and fouled mine, and both were subsequently sunk against the marina breakwater. I cannot say that with certainty as I have not yet spoken face to face with those who were there, but I will say that my boat was on a well oversized, practically brand new mooring, and should not have broken loose on her own, but who knows really. It may have simply been mooring failure. It is truly devastating in a way I simply cannot describe. It feels like the death of a much loved friend, and I am gutted beyond words.

I can only offer my sincerest thanks to those who did everything they could on the night to save my beautiful boat, but conditions were simply too rough and dangerous to do anything, and continue to be far too rough to effect a salvage at present.

Sad to read of your loss, Bimini Babe.

I was going to moor my boat in Opua after refitting and relaunch next year at a mooring just south of Ashbys.

These recent weather events up there have given me pause.

BB - that is terrible - one could tell from your posts she was a much loved boat -assume she was insured and hope all goes well for a quick resolution...

Big rain dump coming soon to. Rain radar is saying...watch out til 4am!

Rush out now and scrub the decks! The rinse mode is on its way.

Archived