Django ocean rescue

B00B00

Anyone heard any more about Django's situation out there. I heard they had broken the rudder stock, were taking on water and are abandoning the boat but don't know any other details.

About 250nm from Auckland so I guess that's 100-150nm off North Cape.

Yes VERY experienced crew on board and they have the situation well under control.

The Django Crew were safely transferred to the HMNZ Otago at 18:10 this evening all safe and well. We look forward to there arrival back in Auckland tomorrow.

Dear Family, Friends & Followers,

For those that haven't heard, I'm sorry to announce that Django Racing has been abandoned about 300 miles North of Auckland, on her way home from Fiji.

At approx 11:00am NZ Time this morning, in winds averaging more than 50kn and 5m seas, the rudder stock snapped between the two bearings, leaving the rudder swinging underneath the boat, trying to rip itself free. The crew sent out a request for assistance and set the Liferaft up, ready to deploy at a moments notice. The crew kept in touch with Maritime Operations throughout the day, via Satellite phone, and an Airforce Orion was sent out to do a flyover.

Fortunately the Navy Frigate "Otago" was in the region, and reached Django around 6:00pm this evening, when the crew made a hairy but successful transfer onto the Frigate.

We have talked to the crew on the Sat Phone and they're safe and well, albeit very relieved. I suspect that the reality of the situation may not have set it yet for them.

Ben Costello, the skipper, along with Bex Heilkema and Andrew Cooke, all responded exceptionally well and did everything they could have done. The boat was still floating when they transferred onto the Frigate, and the rudder had not yet sheared off, however large cracks were appearing around the area of the bottom bearings, so we don't know how long that will last.

The Frigate is heading directly back to Auckland and they should be safely back on land by midday tomorrow. That's all we know for now, we just wanted to let everyone know the facts as they currently stand.

Lots of love, Andy P

The Django Crew were safely transferred to the HMNZ Otago at 18:10 this evening all safe and well. We look forward to there arrival back in Auckland tomorrow.

The navy must have put the boot into it, 2 hours ahead of the ETA.

Glad to hear all are safe

Good to hear they are all safe! Do you know the status of the boat?

Once it all settles down, it would be good to get a1st hand description of what went wrong....

Edit - forget that -2 posts while I was writing!

Awwwe not Django. :( :( :( :( :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Really sorry to hear that, but super glad that you guys are all OK. Very scary and my worst case scenario, broken rudder stock, especially in those conditions. We are going to miss the fast 111 out there on Saturday.. Well done the Navy! :clap: :clap:

This afternoon it was 80 odd knots on the now cast at Cape Reinga, if it was like that a bit further north then it would have been hairy out there. Shame about the boat, but glad to hear he crew are off safe and well.

Good news indeed.

Couldn't sleep so picked up on the rescue at 2am on stuff. (as yet no mention on the herald or other broadcast media that I can find)

well done Otago, and the swimmer.

well done to Django's crew for doing everything right.

Archived