A Little rant

As I mentioned in a previous post I was at anchor during this last storm,things were getting a little hairy. As a precaution I got my flairs etc ready.Thought it would be good to read the instructions on operating the flairs,Low and behold the shop had put the price tag over the instructions ,the glue on the tag was such that getting it off was an effort. I was not in an emergincy situation so it was not realy a major.However if someone was in trouble it could of been.

have spoken to the head office of the store and they are going to rectify this practice.

If you work for or are in a store and see this please bring it to there attention.

Could save a life.

Cheers

Excellent point. well done on letting the store know.

At least the time taken removing the label would have helped pass the time :wink: But not a good thing if you were in an emergency.

So here is a good question. Maybe opening up a further discussion between all. Did you have any backup plan A or B for the "Brown Stuff turning to Custard consistency and thrown into Rotating Fan" situation if it eventuated?? Like it's all very well letting off a Flare, but someone has to see it. Always worried me that one. Could you have made it to shore? Could you contact anyone on VHF? any other plans ideas?

I learned from experience, much experience over the years, that when entering a Bay, no matter how nice the weather at the time, if it should turn nasty, how do i get out of the bay in the Pitch Dark if I have to, where can I go for shelter and what happens if i can't get out. The two experiences I was in where i learned that were quite frankly terrifying. I have never had a similar situation since. Maybe that is because of better planning or it just hasn't happened again. Certainly makes you sleep better knowing you covered most of the basses.

Valid point about refreshing one's flare knowledge.

But "When" is the best time to let one's last remaining flare(s) go :?:

Yes one as soon as disaster happens in case any boats near by and perhaps another 1 or 2 or 3 minutes later so if any body sees the first flare, they can confirm and obtain a bearing of second flare . . .

but then WHAT :?: There is only one ot two more flares left :think:

after WHEN :?:

Wait to see a ship, or a plane :?:

Has anybody seen any knowledgeable source :?:

Bad weather planning:

The simple tip of WRITING the escape course down at the time of anchoring saves having a major a worry later, and is easier than repeatedly screaming from the bow to a (scared, deaf and I told you I did knot want to go out) crew member at the helm.

A "chinagraph" black thick pencil can write on plastic without marking and is easy to rub off so write the course on the binacle, compass body or above the compass.

Using a whiteboard marker also works onto paint or GRP but tends to stain / knot that easy to wipe clean so having a piece or white laminate makes a better job. :think: Alcohol makes the rubbing off easier, either internally :thumbup: or at the coal face :thumbdown:

I'm nowhere near as experienced as most of you are, so I'm probably a little paranoid about safety!

I kept thinking "If I'm disabled, will my crew know how to let off a flair - or even which one?" And "Will I remember how to let 'em off in a stressful/panic situation?"

The instructions on them are bloody small, couldn't be read in the dark or by someone with poorish eyesight.

So I typed them out in BIG print and laminated the A4 sheet so water wont affect it - it sits inside the yellow flare canister with the flares.

After :P spending most ofmy life working or playing at sea, checking my escape from an anchorage has become second nature to me.

I was at the Barrier when I heard this blow was comming i decided that Whangarei harbour was the best storm hole for me.Upon dropping the pick I took bearings of 3 different mud banks that i was prepared to sit on if needed.

the flares were only one of the systems I had prepared, Extra anchors were ready ,spair lines, life jacket on,life ring ready,enginr warm, fueltank full.Big pot of stew on the stove, warm clothes, I had made contact with some shore based sailors and informed them of my intentions if she let go.

Every hour i would let a little anchor rode out,to prevent chafe,Reduced asmuch windage as poss.

It was interesting how hungry I became,Howcold I got and also how tired I became,this was a big surprise to me as i often sail for 15-20 hours straight. In furture I will get as much sleepasi can before a blow like that.

Scared is not a woredi would use however i was concerned, it was the worst night at anchore i have ever had.

I musthave done something rite as iamwriting this post from my boat.

As far as when to let flares off, i realy don,t know i think every situation is different. I if i had beed in danger I would have fired one off in the hope some one on shore spotted it.( after i sorted out the instructions of course)

Cheers

I don't think this qualifies as a rant. More a thought out post raising awareness of a potential issue which in an emergency situation could cause additional stress.

But a question. If your in the position that you have to let off flares, should you not be setting off your EPIRB first? That almost guarantees someone will get a fix on your bearings at some point in the not too distant future. And knows your probably in a bit of strife... Without the need for them to be looking in your direction, caring about the pretty fireworks, and knowing what to do about them.

Good point, I think it all dpends on the situation . my current situation, in a river, lots of house around i think i would let off a flair. In open sea or lonley coast, an E-perb. I think you must do what suits your situation at the time.

I would have added a further plan:

When the anchor warp parted, drifing / motoring downwind to aim to go aground near the Parau Bay pub would have major benefits, locals to help run lines / anchors ashore, transport available and a warm convivial atmosphere would IMHO be positive pluses for this plan.

One need to consider the big picture :thumbup:

As a Safety inspector I nearly always get people to point out the 'hot end' of a hand flare and a rocket flare. The trigger is a opposite ends. Nearly EVERYONE gets it wrong!

I suggest everyone onboard having a good session looking and touching flares so they know how they work. And putting big felt pen marks as to the hot end. At night, when you've lots your glasses, seeing those instructions is very very difficult...

Flares are dangerous. Hand flares glow white hot, and rocket flares shoot a missile. Everyone aboard needs to be well prepared before using them.

Something to bear in mind is that Coastguard units have operational limits - conditions that they WON'T go out in or are not allowed to operate i and these are usually imposed by Maritime NZ as part of their SSM program. These limits vary from location to location depending on the gear available and the locale but I know one unit won't operate in anything over 50 knots wind and 5 metre seas.

When it gets really seriously nasty, you can't necessarily expect Coastguard to come get you.

Thats a pretty well put statement IT - don't expect help, prepare as best you can, not only so you never should need help ( sometimes even the best prepared need help of course ) and also be prepared to be as helpful toward your own rescue as possible. Something that is often not so well thought out.

Archived