Ship of fools; NZ to Fiji

Watched it last night and have to say surprised it's taken so long to be mentioned here

Thought they were lucky

Lucky the weather didn't go bad

Lucky no one was injured

Lucky they didn't need a raft

Lucky their chart plotter stayed working

I watched the vid. I thought it was a pretty typical voyage from NZ for a beginner crew. They did say they lost the "main" liferaft - and there def was another on deck, but perhaps smaller.

They had a few issues, but they were lucky the weather was pretty benign. It's interesting how the general public seem to see crossing oceans in a small vessel - not at all like reality!

I'm not all all sure that any of the crew actually understand what a broach is!

One 'broach' /knockdown and your liferaft goes ? I saw that positioning out the back of the boat being recommended on another thread, doesn't seem like such a good idea to me.

Apart from that it seemed like a good natured if dramatised little clip.Clearly they did have another raft and I remember it being talked about during the race , maybe on the RAYC site updates.

They got wet in some sort of knock and something broke( which they easily fixed)..... systems normal i'nt it.

I thought it made them all look stupid and unprepared.

I would be embarrassed if anyone who saw that thought that is the kind of thing I was involved with when I do a race to fiji.

A significant percentage of the cruising boats that go from NZ to the islands every year are in a similar situation to these guys. Everyone must start somewhere. However, i'm surprised they got cat 1. Part of the regs are to do with crew experience - C4 had little. A simple addition to the crew, or replacement of one of the members, with an experienced offshore sailor (or 2) would have made the boat a lot safer. IMO.

There is nothing wrong with storing your liferaft on or at the transom. No lifting or carrying required, and the ability to potentially launch it when the boat is inverted. However, in this case, it was not sufficiently fastened to the boat! That is a fairly basic requirement. Even better is to have in inside a purpose designed locker...

If something serious had gone wrong, TV3 would have been in a difficult situation with OSH, I reckon.

I am NOT trying to say that people should no go on adventures - quite the opposite. Just that beginner crews, esp first time offshore, simply don't know whats out there, so it's hard form them to plan and prepare properly.

A few issues for me.

Firstly no way the life raft should have escaped like that. Secondly auto pilot failure I dnt see as a big deal unless ur solo or two up. We've always hand steered esp when it's rough. Auto pilots are reactive humans are proactive. When sailing rough weather people should do a better job at avoiding the big ones the knock downs etc.

Thirdly the steering gear looks like it's made up of bailing twine and climbing fittings I'm not surprised it broke.

Lastly maybe I underestimate the sea state but to me that didn't look like 7meters. Granted I was on my comfy couch but if it was 7 meters I'd expect them to have found them selfes in a whole lot of trouble.

Glad they did it and made it but it does tend to make us yachties look like a bunch of halfwits. A documentary of Django's trip might be a better representation for most of us.

All of which supports the theory that testing one's self, boat and crew work is reliant upon building up from sailing in heavy conditions in harbour, then gulf, then offshore first before ocean crossings.

Yes, a lot seemed to be "hyped" for TV3 and/or as a totally inexperienced newby would see things. Comments about VHF no doubt were for the "general" boating audience whereas anybody going offshore needs better equipment.

3 hours out from Auckland leaves one still in the Hauraki Gulf which can develop quite a slop and steep ones e.g. around Flat Rock in past Simrad's in much heavier conditions than what was filmed, but "real" rogue waves :?: :?: :?:

A lot of the ocean background seemed rather placid, and quite reasonable but then again when it's very rough and wet all over, especially in days past, the cameras stayed nice and dry and only came out in the sunshine. These days camera waterproofing is a lot better, but the person filming still may not feel more than 30% alive.

A big plus IMHO for having two liferafts and all the other gear as seen around the pushpit.

Still good to see any NZ yachting footage and thanks to the Cameraman.

:shh: Now what did that chap call me again :?:

Being a family member to those on c4 some comments here disappoint.  Had it been a serious film about offshore sailing then boring it would have been for mass population . Possibly even a documentary statis . It was filmed slightly slapstick and dramatized but with actual incidents to show what can happen . The broach happened well before any cameras could be on and the life raft was secured  well . To note c4 a o38 foot oyster has sailed the world iver and the accident was not avoidable . Big waves happen. The yacht was well equipped with 2 life rafts as required. Sofa sailors should sometimes try sailing