Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?

We all get the same 24 hours per day

What? No we don't. Hrs get shorter as we get older, I'm sure of it. I can't fit anywhere near as much into my 24hrs as I used to. The Day rushes past far to fast.

To true to a point IT but in my project I'm intentionally doing it in a manner that isn't beyond the realms of a half handy sort of a person. Hence the intentional low use of Pros and a intentionally interior paint quality like finish, for example, when I can afford to go all Pro if I wanted and/or due to past experience get a clear finish quality. There is a specific desire to see just how easy, or not, and how costly, or not, it is to give an old shitter a rebirth, hence things are being done in that manner as much as practically possible. I'm far from being alone in being a half average wood butcher, boat yards are currently full of boats being worked on by others just like me so imagine how many more of them there are.

Time wise it's taken a bit as you'd expect and that time has a cost if you want to put a monetary value of every thing you do. But if I was to put a dollar value on that pastime then shouldn't I also be putting one on washing the dishes or giving D2 a invoice for taking her to Netball?

Think people are underestimating the extent of improvements in design over the past 30 years.

Certainly there's some production cruiser/racer imports that look pretty ordinary on the race course but don't assume that's because of the design. Sometimes yes the designs ordinary, sometimes the crew is. Nothing wrong with Zealous / Lawless, Django etc.

It's easier to compare the race end simply because there crews were good back when and they are good on the new boats now. At one time the R930 was pretty much it at the race end, now a Melges 32 is the equivalent, the difference is not small. Likewise stepping up in size, pick on the better 38-40s of the late 70s and try comparing to say a MC38.

Also you may have noticed Django had a very good race and was narrowly beaten to Fiji by and old Kiwi boat that had a bit of cash thrown at it.

I don't think an MC38 or a Melges 32 would be that good for taking the family over to Barrier in the summer either.

Tried going costal or offshore in a mc38? Or making a coffee? Or Anchoring? Or standing up? Or spending the weekend with the kids on board? Don't think the mc38 does any distance sailing like the sorc, clipper use to. The last race in the clipper was near on 400nm stuff that in a mc38 thats a day boat. I think that's a bit of leap between a 70's boat and a mc38.

There's more to boating than sending it to the bottom mark. I think a multi would be a better bet than a mc38 for that , Cheaper, faster easier to cruise and prob has more space than the mc.

We got our old 70s cav36 up to the islands in less than 7 days. Best of 196nm lots of 170nm days in full cruise mode can't see a new import of similar size beating that by significant amounts or coming near us in $ per nm

Sorry Markm, I would have to agree with the last 3 posters.

I think the some of the NZ designed and built boats, for 20-30 years old are doing very well on the cruiser/racer front. If you want a boat you can race competitively but also cruise you can't go past some of the older kiwi designs. What euro racer/cruiser is going to beat an Elliott 1050 around the track but offer the same level of comfort? IRC isn't helping by favoring heavy boats, or you can go for the volvo copycat wide stern twin rudder racer/cruiser, but opps its overweight and under-rigged (Elan 350)

Where the oversea production boats win is in the larger size high volume cruiser market.

Interestingly up here in Asia you come across a lot of aussies and kiwis cruising in cheap high volume - beneteau/hunter/catalina etc, but the europeans, brits, americans etc seem to choose different boats!

It's easier to compare the race end simply because there crews were good back when and they are good on the new boats now. At one time the R930 was pretty much it at the race end, now a Melges 32 is the equivalent, the difference is not small. Likewise stepping up in size, pick on the better 38-40s of the late 70s and try comparing to say a MC38.
I'm knot trying to say a re birthed 930 for example would be as competitive as a new replacement like a C950 or M32. While there are a reasonable number of older boats that do seem to be kicking new boats arse, Pretty Boy taking out H40's D41's First 40 assorted's and the like, we are still comparing older race like ones to newer cruiser like ones. But that is what is on the harbour being used, it's not full of pure breed race boats. The pure breeds don't seem to leave the marinas that often, no idea why.

For me for example, if I took the 'I just want to know' part out of the project, I'm still facing spending 50K or 250K to get to the end game I want. Sure if I spend 250K I'll do it faster but having sailed fast and slow I'm fully aware speed isn't always everything and even with the 250K option I'd still be a slower boat in the intended fleets so I'm going with the 50K option meaning I can stop working many years earlier and use the boat more.

Everything is a compromise to some degree and we humans also have a finite life span.

Na, she's currently looking for a 40-45ft +/- launch. Interestingly the launch market seems very similar to the yacht one but the AWB launches hold their price a lot better. I'm told there are many wannabes who can't afford new but have to have a fancy looking AWB so do tend to pay top second hand dollar. And like yachts there are a lot of very well build still perfectly fine NZ built launches out there. If anything it's the mechanicals that are showing more age then the hulls. So I'm thinking this same discussion can apply to power as well as sail.

I think the real question here is; who is going to buy all our old imports and at what price? I don't think many of them will be in to good a condition after 30 years. Maybe these are the ones bound for the scrap heap when the good old kiwi boats are still going strong :thumbup: Time will tell...

Na, she's currently looking for a 40-45ft +/- launch. Interestingly the launch market seems very similar to the yacht one but the AWB launches hold their price a lot better. I'm told there are many wannabes who can't afford new but have to have a fancy looking AWB so do tend to pay top second hand dollar. And like yachts there are a lot of very well build still perfectly fine NZ built launches out there. If anything it's the mechanicals that are showing more age then the hulls. So I'm thinking this same discussion can apply to power as well as sail.

AWB ??

What still hasn't been decided is the subject matter of the thread.

Who is going to buy the $1 reserve old boats on Trade Me?

Or are they just going to magically disappear??

Actually I don't think that was quite the question... if they were all being sold as $1 auctions, prices would adapt and they would be sold, and many probably would then get the maintenance they need or parted out and scrapped. The problem is that owners aren't selling at $1 reserve auctions (though that is exactly what I did with my Harmonic in March... multiple bidders right to the close, the buyer got a great deal by current market standards and I was very happy with the result).

The ratepayers will be paying to get rid of a fair few, as they have already done.

Probably a fair few would end up in old quarries, holes and assorted spots of farms, again as a few have already.

And a fair few will fall to chainsaws and jumbo bins.

That's after someone paid the $1 and then had that reality bites moment.

The ratepayers will be paying to get rid of a fair few, as they have already done.

Probably a fair few would end up in old quarries, holes and assorted spots of farms, again as a few have already.

And some will get a clean up, some second hand sails and house paint and once again sail around the gulf giving their new owners access to magic spots and cheap family holidays :)

Did you hear about the superyacht hull that got turned into landfill. Hull built overseas and couldn't pass survey so they chopped it up rather than complete it.

Too true ex TL, some will get another life I hope.

The same thing has happened in NZ more than once John. I also know a LOT made in china that are supposedly build to survey fail survey. But the whole survey thing is getting more onerous and quite frankly stupid in parts as 'the powers that be' require more butt covering and less exposure to any liability. YNZ is no different, they have a few WTF's in the latest book. Even Akl Council do it now.

Some of those silly Regs and shenanigans is what is driving the cost of boating beyond many peoples ability to pay. That in time leads to of of boats left to slowly die.

Did you hear about the superyacht hull that got turned into landfill. Hull built overseas and couldn't pass survey so they chopped it up rather than complete it.

yep that happened here in New Plymouth 103 ft glass hull, was chopped up with a digger, pity it wasn,t sunk off the port as a crayfish hotel and dive attraction, if anyone had taken that boat on they had to remove or pay for the apparently 70k of lead first. That boat was a bit big for people to take on though , just to move it anywhere would have been very expensive, and the hull was not worth completing as a boat. May have made an interesting house on a farm but with council rules etc just not worth the trouble.