Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?

The time issue rings very true.

My boat is currently on the front lawn, and aside from some very minor jobs, in three months I have managed to achieve virtually nothing.

Take out ten hours a day for work and commuting, throw in the wet weather we've had, and add the kid factor, and the idea of a new plastic that needs nothing becomes very appealing.

Why do brokers seem to regularly list boats at stupidly unrealistic prices?  eg: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1397448986.htm

But there are tons of other examples.  

Do they think the buyers are idiots or the current owners are gullible for listing with them?  or is there an unspoken set rate of... it will sell for 29% of the asking price?

Moving away from that price point issue and back to my own price point and recent communications with brokers. I have been extremely disappointed with every broker I have had communications with so far [not many....to be fair]..in regard to boats I am looking at to purchase as a buyer...First of all....I have to really annoy the broker to get basic information...like...does it have a shower, holding tank for the toilet, what anchoring rode/chain, what sails it has, service history or motor, etc....basic questions....usually ignored or the reply is come and view. To be fair I suppose to come and view, would be a fair comment if I wasn't 4 -6 hours away.  So basic questions answered would be nice. I am not a veteran of yachting...but I would have though some customer service would be good. 

So...so far I have been ignored by almost anyone at gulfgroup...I eventually got a reply after asking the same broker twice if he got my email....I got recognition of my email being received finally....I still never got an answer to my questions answers on 1  boat. Never got a reply from the other brokers on the other boats i was interested in.

Steve Prinselaar from Vinings marine...I have never been dismissed and talk down to so quickly in my life.  

I may have been in the wrong?...I asked....does the yacht have a shower...what is the tankage for water...is there an electrical WOF...how is water heated if it is heated...and what would be seen to be unrealistic if I made an offer?  

I have been told the Sam at Whangarei vinings office is better to talk to or Mike at Picton.  

Anyway...my little rant.   I'm amazed at the lack of customer service I have received so far...Have no issues naming names...I will likely be buying off shore at this rate

Brokers pricing can be set by an unrealistic vendor. The broker gets a listing which they need so they look like they are active and have stock. The broker knows it's not likely to sell at that price but then relies on zero interest and/or lowball offers to educate the vendor to more realistic market pricing. I have been asked by brokers to submit lowball offers on yachts in which I have shown interest in the hope that the vendor will become more realistic but I'm not interested in playing games with unrealistic vendors.

Why do brokers seem to regularly list boats at stupidly unrealistic prices?  eg: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1397448986.htm

But there are tons of other examples.  

Do they think the buyers are idiots or the current owners are gullible for listing with them?  or is there an unspoken set rate of... it will sell for 29% of the asking price?

Moving away from that price point issue and back to my own price point and recent communications with brokers. I have been extremely disappointed with every broker I have had communications with so far [not many....to be fair]..in regard to boats I am looking at to purchase as a buyer...First of all....I have to really annoy the broker to get basic information...like...does it have a shower, holding tank for the toilet, what anchoring rode/chain, what sails it has, service history or motor, etc....basic questions....usually ignored or the reply is come and view. To be fair I suppose to come and view, would be a fair comment if I wasn't 4 -6 hours away.  So basic questions answered would be nice. I am not a veteran of yachting...but I would have though some customer service would be good. 

So...so far I have been ignored by almost anyone at gulfgroup...I eventually got a reply after asking the same broker twice if he got my email....I got recognition of my email being received finally....I still never got an answer to my questions answers on 1  boat. Never got a reply from the other brokers on the other boats i was interested in.

Steve Prinselaar from Vinings marine...I have never been dismissed and talk down to so quickly in my life.  

I may have been in the wrong?...I asked....does the yacht have a shower...what is the tankage for water...is there an electrical WOF...how is water heated if it is heated...and what would be seen to be unrealistic if I made an offer?  

I have been told the Sam at Whangarei vinings office is better to talk to or Mike at Picton.  

Anyway...my little rant.   I'm amazed at the lack of customer service I have received so far...Have no issues naming names...I will likely be buying off shore at this rate

Steve Prinselaar showed me a boat (I put an offer on it through him) and I found him the best broker I dealt with. Admittedly not many to be fair.  He was friendly, helpful and more honest than you might expect from someone trying to sell you something.

The reality is that some boats will  not sell until the vendor has a major change of heart, some will only be sold once they become deceased estate, but until then it is their boat and they can ask whatever price they want, and if you want it you can either pay the money or wait , no point getting upset about it.

I dealt with several brokers last summer, in Auckland and Picton. I thought most were very good. Particularly appreciated the service from NZ Boat Sales in Picton. The one bad experience was the guy at Laurie Collins. I phoned and made an appointment to see a boat, drove an hour along with my Dad to get there at the agreed time, but he refused to show me the boat because he had someone else (apparently more important) coming to look at another (apparently more important) boat. Other commitments meant I simply couldn't reschedule before I left the country. But as far as I know someone else did buy the boat, so I guess he got his commission. At least there's that.

Brokers have 7.5 percent plus gst Fee minimum , some have $50k rentals to pay and some admin at the desk , sellers list with them for exposure , and ask what they want , ,so many sit on the market going no where ,some brokers have boats on there books for years ,over priced , but brokers have a hard life It's not easy in that industry , you have the dreamers. ,he wants SHE doesn't , the timewaisting types feeding their one day boat , wanting to see every thing on the water , the. There is the traders with a piece of crap trading up , trying to convince the seller to take it , it goes on , so you can see broker don't have an easy job They have to tell immediately that you the buyer is for real , with cash in bank and the want to have a boat now , ,,it's not easy , he to has a mortgage. Power , rates, phone , and fuel bills carting dreamers around , ,then you have a vendor with 80s selling price in 2017 not going to move , give it some thought ,

I looked at a 20k keeler a couple of months back. The broker made it very clear that his business is in selling big expensive euro boats and boats in that price range were just an irritation to him. He also made me feel as though I was an irritation wanting to look at the boat.. not a great experience.

To some a 20-30k boat is a dream boat..

Too right!

20k to some

200k to others

It's about your level of comittment and any smart sales person from any type of sales should recognise that and treat all with the same level of respect.

• Upvote 1

Indeed. Also doesn't change the fact that it's on his books, which means he signed a contract with the vendor to try and sell the boat. To not do so is acting in a negligent and fraudulent manner. If they're not in the business of selling 20k boats then they should take them on in the 1st place.

Indeed. Also doesn't change the fact that it's on his books, which means he signed a contract with the vendor to try and sell the boat. To not do so is acting in a negligent and fraudulent manner. If they're not in the business of selling 20k boats then they should take them on in the 1st place.

This.

If you can't be bothered with cheap boats then don't list them.

We deal with some great brokers, and some total arseholes.

Like every profession out there, once you find a good guy you stick with them.

No it doesn't - at all. As a professional you are not actually required to take on the work. If you take on an overpriced commission then you have just legitimised your client's position. A buyer's position has absolutely nothing to do with that and I can't see the relevance of your post.

It all comes down to the vendor if he's realistic then the broker can move it , some vendors think there boat is the best in there eyes and is worth top value , but sadly there is a word not said in the broker business ,,, vendor crunching, ,,, and that takes months till he realises his boats value is not what people will pay , the broker has a tough job , they usually try and list good stock so they know it will move , no easy remember they are trying to sell your boat , if it's not up to scratch and priced right his position is hard and the answer is make an offer I will see what he can do vendor crunching ,

Boat brokers car dealers even real estate agents,is not better to sell 3 boats @$30k a month than to concentrate on the $250k which you have had on the books for 3 months,got to take the good with bad. And we all know word of mouth helps. Geez this guy really went out of his way to sell my vessel $30k, that guy might know someone who looking to spend $250k

Never know whats around the corner

The problem for the brokers to be fair is "Tyre Kickers" and unrealistic vendors, both are time wasters and I have certainly been guilty of the former.

I'm not saying some of the criticisms here are unfair but maybe the prospective buyers should be a wee bit honest with themselves too , just saying :-)