Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?

Good little boat price seems ok , many been off shore Two been round the block made in south nebe SA in the 70s , several mods by year of manufacture with cabin changes , the. Shibora could be a worry ,but go check it out ,

Good little boat price seems ok , many been off shore Two been round the block made in south nebe SA in the 70s , several mods by year of manufacture with cabin changes , the. Shibora could be a worry ,but go check it out ,

Thanks, Myjane.  That's the impression I got to.  In NZ it is a bit of an orphan.  It's ticked too many of my boxes to ignore.  It just seems a little too cheap.  Hence my questions.

The boat was stripped out and refitted about 7 or 8 years ago by Ian Wilson from Tauranga, as it was really run down. I'm not sure about its final state. It was then sold and used mainly for fishing out the entrance as far I could gather and was berthed at the marina at Sulphur Point. It was then moved to a mooring in Pilot Bay and I haven't seen it out much, it may have been bought with the berth and then stored on the mooring just to get the berth which are hard or near impossible to buy, normally. Good luck.

The boat was stripped out and refitted about 7 or 8 years ago by Ian Wilson from Tauranga, as it was really run down. I'm not sure about its final state. It was then sold and used mainly for fishing out the entrance as far I could gather and was berthed at the marina at Sulphur Point. It was then moved to a mooring in Pilot Bay and I haven't seen it out much, it may have been bought with the berth and then stored on the mooring just to get the berth which are hard or near impossible to buy, normally. Good luck.

Hi Ballystick....Thanks for input and observations....From what I understand, the current owner has purchased a powered launch.  Do you know how long its been advertised for or any other info?  I am a 10hr drive away...so any info is good info.

It is an orphan , here and may be hard the get back the investment , I would offer less , the motor is suspect these days so prepare to up grade or mother it , I brought a boat of the 80s and installed a new beta and it changed the boat , and less worries , but check the hull most of all , get a hull survey if worried , but sometimes a boat comes along totally not what you were looking for and it won't go away so that maby the one , it happened to me and I went all out to make it up to date with all mod cons and good paint , and after 18 years of crusing with it I can't look back at the cost just forward to the rest of it , we are only caretakers of these things for the next caretaker

Second hand boats are getting cheap...

VERY cheap..

A fixer upper in steel ...happens to be similar flavour to mine...a 38 roberts offshore in steel..professionally fitted out.

SOLD at $5600 !!

(on ebay)....

there wont be any point selling mine after the many years (hopefully) to come....

its worth more in scrap metal !!

That boat was left to be in that condition , and if you don't blast it back to bare steel your fooling your self doing diy , old steel turns septic quic, if it's got a bit of rust outside its hell on the inside , it would be quite a job to bring back ,

But at least with steel what you see is what you get. Rust is clearly visible by brown streaks or bubbling paint. You don't get a pristine surface with rust lurking beneath, unlike GRP or timber - ever had a nice looking paint job that you prod with your finger and it goes right through the timber?

Steel vessels normally rust from within. Outside looks fine, inside not so goog. Access behind every locker, panel and deckhead panel allows good inspection and maintenance. Don't be fooled by the outside.

Agree. The point I was trying to make was that whether on the inside or outside of the boat, rust starts on the surface and works its way into the metal so you will always see telltale signs before it really cranks up, as opposed to for example dry rot in timber which can start on the inside of the timber with no external indications that all is not well within.

If you want steel learn about it buy one maintain it , been there done that with the ganley 32 , timber is good keep good ventilation, dry , and good wood lasts longer than steel , you don't find 60 year old steel yachts ,

• Upvote 1

Don't agree with you there.

I built a Hartley Silver Fin in steel in 1985. She's in the Bay of Islands now and still looking pretty smart last time I saw her two years ago.

Currently looking at a Dutch built canal boat built in 1910. Ultrasound from last year indicated no degradation of the plating.

Every material has pros and cons but my personal favourite these days is now aluminium but it's not that common or cheap, especially for yachts in my price range. :cry:

60' aluminium boat for sale in Perth, looking for a good home

Racing fit out

.....now myj......that is very close to pushing statistics...

firstly how many small sailing vessels do you know of,  that were built of steel 60 years ago ?

I skipper and maintain boats for a living....and I live full time on my boat.....Most of my time is spent on the upkeep of timber vessels.

No ...good wood dosnt last longer than steel...

and good steel lasts way way longer than wood. (even good wood).

Its basic chemistry. 

As to labour...it is far less time to maintain (properly) steel than wood.

It is far less time to repair steel than wood.

Traditionally built timber boats are very fragile compared to a steel boat. Dont kid yourself on this one.

When planks start to open up along seams, it is very very not funny...it is very hard to stop ingress .

By nature of a timber boats construction you have point fastening, this means frames and stringers are needed. The individual planking across the frames is very weak in a design sense. Hundreds of meteres of interfaces held together by friction. (expansion of caulking). 

Monocoque construction..

(in which an aircraft or vehicle structure in which the chassis is integral with the body.) The egg shell principal....

changed marine design forever. 

"Timber vessels" that are not planked, have large amounts of plastic resins and various fibres are not traditional timber boats.

They are variations on the badly used term "fiber glass boat"....

Sadly...in summary...unless you love the boat for what it is....like all things timber...want to do the work yourself...have deep pockets...are a good sailor and dont bump things...the very last choice of vessel is a timber one....

• Upvote 1

Bloody hell the worms are out , owned a 32 footer built by Waco up north Treated with all the best treatments of the time faired like a glass boat , about ten years before I brought it and I had to paint it inside and out , and there was rust leaching in the corners and scrapes etc , I didn't really like the steel thing , it has its uses , was hard under foot , noisy under sail , battery's and other metals fight with it , and salt water eventually gets it ,