Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?

In looking at a steel canal barge built in 1910, I'm not looking at at some sort of vintage curiosity - there's hundreds of the bloody things cruising the European waterways built around that time, and even quite a number from the 1880-1890's. They are re engined and modernised of course which is an expensive undertaking, and not something one would spend a barrel full of money on unless the basic structure was well worth the investment.

:-D  :-D  :-D

I write this with the idea of a boat in transit.

Going some place... 

Local boats, that live in local places are different to remote boats.

Local boats that go places and come back home for repairs are different to boats that need to do repairs in remote places.

Most boats come home...and dont go too far.

It is very important to think about what your boat is doing when you chose a budget and a boat. 

I didn't really like the steel thing , it has its uses , was hard under foot , noisy under sail , battery's and other metals fight with it , and salt water eventually gets it , 

Sounds like passion to me . and I get that.

But that is not reality. Stray currents and through hulls that are metal are devastating to timber boats. Yep...timber boats get electrolysis. Please check yourself because I have honestly been doing this stuff across all boat materials for a long time and know the passion and individual experiences . It makes what I do very hard and mostly I dont bother arguing...but ...timber boat owners are very bad at good practice with electrical current movement. (I can tell you way more but just bond your metal through hulls)

So lets be real...(and lets be normal  OK ? )

Most likely strongest...(including point impact, grounding, and high hull pressure loading's)

Ally. strength with the ability to stretch without tear.

Steel as above but less maliability.

Fiberglass. (but with kevla or similar  roving s potentially above..above )

Ferro and other composites 

traditional timber.

Cheapest to fix a serious hull rend including the idea that you are a cruising yacht ...not just going back to mate "bill at the marina..."

Steel....fact is...it is just about everywhere.. (and sadly timber isnt)..and you will find a welder. 

Fiberglass and ferro are close here...it is possible to have the materials either on board or close by and the skill level is not high...(its cloth...you may carry it)

Timber. Need good timber and skills.. Biggest problem with a planked boat is that you need planks. Whats the first thing asked about the hull ?...what timber is she .......(Its planks you probably wont carry it)

Ally...very hard. Steel boat can be just domestic steel. Ally are a marine grade. The welding ??...I think it takes good gear and experience.

Cost

I guess it depends on where you are...but.

anything you need to bring in will be expensive.

Who will be your local expert ? 

A welder may charge more than a timber worker.

Ferro could be the very cheapest. A small amount of bonding epoxy and all other materials. Like resin repairs but simpler.

Ally is again likely to be difficult. 

Yes, she is a rivetted hull and as a 1910 build, probably iron.

I currently have a fibreglass yacht but I share your affection for steel. I've been places in the West Indies, looking over the side at the bommies and wishing there was a few mm of steel between me and them instead of 20mm of strip plank timber.

But, I very much enjoy working with timber and build a few clinker dinghies and a bit of furniture nowe and again so I appreciate the attraction of a nice timber finish. To each his own.

One of the things I love about aluminium is the ease of repair and modifications, It's nice to work with, especially if you have a good MIG properly set up for it and it's easy to finish. 

chrisc...I do understand.

I type this tonight in a most stunning saloon. Not mine, I couldnt afford it, but it is a work of art.

...No ...it is a work of craftsmanship of the highest order...and art..

This vessel has grown Knee,s in the roof structure. Put there to stop diagonal wracking.

It is the best of the best. built in 1985.

but..if I stuffed up and hit a reef...and had to pay for it...I would rather be in my boat.

It's nice to work with, especially if you have a good MIG properly set up for it and it's easy to finish. 

Totally agree...plus having the sheet and bar materials of a marine grade to hand....

but.....if you headed off in the wild blue yonder...what material would you chose ? (hey no right or wrong here) 

It's nice to work with, especially if you have a good MIG properly set up for it and it's easy to finish. 

Totally agree...plus having the sheet and bar materials of a marine grade to hand....

but.....if you headed off in the wild blue yonder...what material would you chose ? (hey no right or wrong here) 

I'd still prefer alloy. A lot the modern exploration type yachts are built in alloy these days. As mentioned previously it is quite malleable so can take a substantial hit without always splitting open. Temporary hull damage(penetration) could still be dealt with epoxy and with a genny and mig onboard more permanent repairs could be done. In some ways, alloy is like working with hardwood with respect to cutting, drilling and routing.

This is an Alubat Ovni that got cosy with a reef in the Canaries and was later repaired to like new condition. 

Endurance-Two.jpg

They build ships out of steel,not concrete,grp,ali .Will concede use to use wood.

having a quick through t/m and it appears the trailer boat market is alive and well including the opti/p /sunburst market

Feel qualified to add something to this subject.

We decided to sell the H28 in order to buy a canal boat in France. Prior to listing her on TradeMe we did nothing special - I shined her up a bit and repainted the decks but only because we had the paint for a few months already. H28s were listed in the 12,000 - 20,000 dollar range with one at $26,000. All had been for sale for a long time. I listed at $23,000 which my wife said was a bit high so dropped it to $22,900. We did not get many replies which was as expected because it was too early in the season. However, two people wished to view the boat last weekend and this resulted in two offers close to the asking price. I indicated that I would accept one,subject to confirmation. The prospective buyer went on at length at how mine was the best H28 he'd seen blah blah etc etc and unfortunately the more he praised my boat....well, when push came to shove we both just couldn't part with her. He was very upset and I felt a proper sh*t for disappointing him, but there it is.

What I take from this is that presentation is everything. There is not a lot of value in H28s so it's understandable that people are reluctant to spend money maintaining a cheap boat but there is the choise. From my perspective a nicely presented boat will sell, a shitter won't.

Looking to see if it's financially possible to own two little boats..

Good story. Well done Owning two boats is no fun , where are you going to live makes it more real ,if your living in U.K. Why have a boat here Antifouling and engine maintainance. Etc Unless you can give it to someone trustworthy to use it and care for it you know well would be the idea But good story thanks