Tablets - From the beginning

Young Entertainer

so I have an iPhone and have played around with Navionics on it, I also have a chartplotter on the boat, but have never owned a tablet/iPad but are starting to think about xmas and getting a tablet to run charts on, probably leaning towards an iPad as then I can use all my current apps but not totally sold. Any recommendations/comments especially around wifi vs cellular.

can charge on the boat, and want a "case" for what ever I get to make it as waterproof as possible

I bought one of these, plus an Ipad water proof case , did not worry about a sim card as I have an I phone, tables works well . 9.7 screen

Website is Lavadeals

$450.00

OziExplorer software main features:

- Moving map navigation using the internal GPS

- Course Up Mode

- 3D Perspective View Mode

- Check for more detailed map at a set interval

- Automatic loading of the next map

- Create Waypoints at current position

- Navigation to a waypoint or along a route

- Display tracks tail. User tracks can be loaded

- Display current GPS coordinates

- Logging of Track points to file

- Using the Route Create option, routes can be created on the device

- Many Map Zoom levels

- Various Position display formats

- On screen display of Speed, Bearing and Altitude

- Display Waypoints on the map

- Satellite View showing SNR, number of Satellites and HDOP

- Check the OziExplorer website for full features

Tablet specifications:

Model: Freelander PD80 3G

CPU: 1.2GHz Cortex A7 MT8389 Quad Core

GPU: PowerVR SGX544MP

Operating System: Android 4.2

Memory: 1GB

Hard Drive: 16GB ROM (Supports TF card up to 32GB)

Screen: 9.7 Inch, IPS LED, 1024x768px, 180° Visible Angle

Camera: Dual camera, front is 0.3 and back is 5 megapixels

Gravity Sensor: Yes

Multi-Touch: Yes, 10 points multi-touch

Flash: Supports Flash 11.1

Android Market: Yes

Bluetooth: Yes

GPS: Yes, built in

Video: 1080P AVI/MOV/MP4/RMVB/FLV/MKV…

Music: MP3/WMA/WAV/APE/AAC/FLAC/OGG

Ebook: UMD, TXT, PDF, HTML, RTF, FB2…

USB Host: 2.0

Email and Browser: Yes

WiFi: Yes, 802.11 b/g/n

3G: Yes, WCDMA 2100MHz

Waterproof: No

Battery: 6000 MAh

Work Time: 4-5 hours running GPS and OziExplorer

Ports: 1 x Sim Card slot, 1 x Micro SD card slot (up to 32gb), 1 x Micro USB port, 1 x HDMI port (for movies only), 1 x 2.5mm earphone port

Tablet Colour: White plastic front, silver aluminium back

Tablet Size: 240 x 190 x 11mm

Tablet Weight: 665g

This tablet has an IPS display, the same screen technology that Apple uses in the iPad and

iPhone. It offers wider viewing angles, better image contrast, and faster response times than

the displays used in the cheaper tablets.

Pretty much all the major brands use ips displays nowadays.

If you have an iphone an ipad is the easiest way to go, Sony do a waterproof tablet but apart from that most of the Android Tablets are pretty similar.

If you did go android they can be picked up pretty cheaply I have a Nexus7 that cost me $250 as a back up plotter, just sits in the chart table most of the time but is handy for checking the weather and random sailing websites while away as well. Has Navionics installed as well as the Marine Traffic app that has proved usfull and the tide charts predict wind etc.

Apparently some of the wifi only ipads don't have a proper GPS whereas android devices usually have a gps whether wifi only or 3g/4g and will usually say so in the spec sheet.

Apparently some of the wifi only ipads don't have a proper GPS whereas android devices usually have a gps whether wifi only or 3g/4g and will usually say so in the spec sheet.

Actually, none of the Wifi iPads have a GPS. You would need to add a 'BadElf' or 'DualXGPS' to have GPS with Wifi only Ipad.

But, ALL the cellular iPads have GPS, but you do NOT need a Sim card to get the GPS signal.

And take whatever tablet into a dark room and dim it right down prior to purchase, iPads are next to useless at night as they dont dim down enough and take out your vision every time you look at them.

My iPad mini is good at night. Use ENC Marine(?) and put it in red/night mode. That said the Gecko armouring may also dim the screen slightly. Love the mini (fits in wet gear pocket) great as a kindle and using Zinio lots of free sailing mags(downloaded free via Auckland Libraries).

On the reliability front I am able to observe a range of tablets and how they cope with abuse and battery life ( I am in Secondary Education…should have listened more at school). Basically you get what too pay for. After 6 months of BYOD most cheap tablets are now struggling but the more expensive (All brands) generally still good.

Actually, none of the Wifi iPads have a GPS. You would need to add a 'BadElf' or 'DualXGPS' to have GPS with Wifi only Ipad.

But, ALL the cellular iPads have GPS, but you do NOT need a Sim card to get the GPS signal.

Correct you need the 3G/4G iPad to get GPS. You don't need a sim for the GPS but I added a prepay sim to the iPad on the other network so I could share with the iPhone when one carrier has no coverage. The iPhone version of Navionics will load on the iPad and can run in X1 mode for a big screen. The best water proofing is a box of ziplock bags iPhone size and iPad size.

Archived