Lubricated prop shaft seal replacement

Gica1

Haven't had any experience with the Kiwi seal but I replaced the gland on my own boat with a John Crane shaft seal replaced the stern tube with fiberglass and turned the bearing spigot down to the inner diameter of the seal. All went well and no more leaking gland even when trying hard to make it leak. Even managed to pick up 100 rpm on the engine.

I looked at dripless , the parts alone were going to be $1000 and then labour, also more complex and also to follow manufacturers instruction maintenance as well. If they do fail are likely to sink your boat where as stuffing boxes don't fail as a rule. I applied the kiss principle and kept stuffing box as on an old boat. New boat may be different.

That kiwi seal looks pretty good to me. We have a similar one, possibly an earlier version (I am not sure who made the one we have). It has done thousands of hours and absolutely no leaks and no maintenance. I have changed the lip seal once but the original one was still working fine.

If you are considering changing go for a PSS or Blue Water Seal, the condition of your shaft will determine which is best. And be happy that it will last, often advisable to change the stern tube at the same time. If shaft is 1" go for 1 3/4" OD tube. :thumbup:

Whats wrong with the Kiwi Seal? Maintenance free, 15 year warranty, NZ made... Sounds great to me!

KIWI SHAFT SEALS (KSS)

Unmatched Safety!

5 year Commercial guarantee & 15 year Pleasure craft guarantee

Maintenance free

Easy installation

Radial lip seal

Marine grade stainless steel carrier housing

Thordon guide bush – contains friction and noise reducing additives

Compact length that can be adjusted

Custom identified with build number

Individually assembled and tested

Additional safety feature: Heat Warning System.

Support NZ Business!!

The older dripless seals were a ceramic face seal but most of the newer ones have gone to a lip seal which is a lot more forgiving if it runs dryish, cheap and easy to have a spare and replace if necessary. we have done 3000 miles so far without issues.

Must be the stern tube, will need to be reseated so not much to do with the shaft seal. If it is a wooden boat, electrolysis can cause the wood to go to mush and cause leaks so should be looked at asap.

glass boat,drips around hose clips,i am guessing may need to replace bellows,stopped leak by bearing with over size hose on top of bellows and tighten hose clips,just leaking now where enters hull,but as before need to remove water tank,why put a tank there?as tempory measure had thought of coating with under water resin,but needs to come out of water and done properly.

Archived