Rudder sloppiness...

SanFran

I am coming on to the hardstand next week for the annual thrice over.... You know, you start out with a list of half a dozen things that you want done before the summer, and end up doing only half of them, then adding another dozen things you didn't know about. Almost got to a stage where I have a list of lists for the boat.... the plumbing list, the electrical list and so on.

Anyways, one thing to do is to try and eliminate rudder sloppiness. I have a stern hung rudder and the wear between the two parts is getting worse. Without having to remove each of the two brackets (to get machined) is there a way of getting a nylon bushing made to the correct diameter to fit over the pintle and take up the slack. I'm guessing that the wear wouldn't be more than half a mm. Has anyone come across this problem before?

The issue you have with not machining, is that the hole won't be an even round. There are places that could turn you up some very nice bushes to go in, but without machining, you'll shorten their life due to the uneven wear.

It'll be fine but do put a nylon or similar bush in.

I think this is the crowd who've made stuff up for me in the past:

http://www.dotmar.co.nz/nylon.html

I gave them the specifications and the application (salt water environment, self lubricating, long lasting etc) and they advised the best product then made them up for me.

An engineer will direct you to the best material for the purpose, but Nylon is not it. Nylon absorbs water and swells and will then grab, plus it will wear badly. A self lubricated bearing Plastic is best and as Brain isn't working fully yet, I think it s called Delron. But please get that confirmed rather than just asking for it to be used and finding it the wrong material.

Archived