LGBT sailors reloaded

CooperNZ

Hello peeps - yes I know, there's already a thread about this topic, but it's almost two years old so I thought I'd open a new one (not sure it should go in this category though)

I'm quite a newbie to sailing, used to crew always on the same boat for the last year but the owner unfortunately sold it some time ago and since then I've had a bit of trouble finding my feet again (add to it that I've been out of NZ for almost 5 months). So now that I'm back and the nice weather's coming soon (yes?) I was hoping to jump onto the boats again. One of the things that strucks me whenever I go racing though is that I feel I'm the only gay around - oh yes, I'm gay, thought the title of the thread was self-explanatory.

Now on the more serious side - is there any gay sailing group in NZ (preferably in Auckland)? Or any racing crew around that's basically LGBT? I'd be happy to join. If there is not, anybody interested in setting up one? The prickly thing would probably be how to do it as some people are not out and it would be ideal to try to keep a balance between raising up flags and keeping it private - many times it's a basic acceptance issue and each person has their own kinetics and context in dealing with it. Was just thinking of an environment where sailing are being yourself are not incompatible.

Yes, I know - the feeling of the wind and the water has nothing to do with being gay or not, and I'll continue crewing independently on the sexual orientation of the people on the boat, as I have always done. But I just thought I'd raise the issue.

Thanks!

Good luck, and good on you for asking the question and being willing to organise something.

I'm in Wellington, and straight, but have friends who are LBGT(IQ), some of whom sail and some of whom do not. I reckon the more that is done to make sailing open and welcoming to all participants the better.

Thanks for the support! Hopefully somebody will take a step forward and we'll be able to organize something. Guys, gals, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss anything or contribute to the idea :D

Btw, now that you mention it I was about to add the QI initials but wasn't sure (they keep on adding initials and initials!) so I just went for the traditional way.

It is hard to keep up with the initials that's for sure. When I heard National radio use LBGTQI the other day I thought "Shouldn't that be LBGTQI - PC?"

;o)

The raft-up in the viaduct was the Fairyflotilla which is the only one I know of - Look on facebook. A few get togethers in the summer and Pride week, but it is mostly motorboats.

My wee boat generally sails under the rainbow flag but it's an old cruiser so doesn't race. You're welcome to join us for the end of year rum race though. :thumbup:

For us who don't care if you bang boys, girls or jelly tips and don't discriminate based on sexual orientation, can someone please explain just what in the title is supposedly self-explanatory?

All I could come up with is, after assuming it's the initials-

Lonely Guys Bite Tyres

Like Green, Blue and Turquoise

Leaving Girls to Bang Trevor

But I suspect it maybe something else.

Cool, thanks for the info! I'll check it out. And rum races always sound like fun, I pencil it!

Oh true, could have also been Lovely Grizzly Bear Teeth. Now I realize that I should have been a bit more precise, my fault. :lol:

can someone please explain just what in the title is supposedly self-explanatory
That isn't some sort of a joke, it is a genuine request.

:think:

Whats wrong with "Lets Get Bondageman Tonight" :thumbup:

or

"Lets Get Bondageman Tight"

Archived