Bart's Bash Regatta

Grinna

On Sunday 21 September at Gulf Harbour Yacht Club, the Bart's Bash regatta will be kicking off.

The Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation have organised a worldwide regatta with the aim of breaking the Guinness World Record for the most number of yachts competing in a regatta that spans the globe. The Gulf Harbour Yacht Club is the primary club in New Zealand to run the Bart's Bash and is likely to be one of the first, if not the first, club to start the regatta worldwide. The event will be a multi class (keelboats, dinghies and radio controlled yachts) low key race with all entry fees going directly to the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation.

The notice of race and instructions for entry are up on the Gulf Harbour Yacht Club website

http://www.ghyc.co.nz/index.php?page=ba ... h-2014-nor

That's the plan IT. The Flying 15 class are using the whole weekend as a build up to the upcoming worlds, I think there will be a bunch of zephyrs from Manly showing up, a group of keelers from Gulf Harbour and Weiti clubs are entered, the jollyboat fleet has been invited (not sure how many are going to be participating). There will also be a fleet of radio controlled yachts competing on the nearby lake at Gulf Harbour. There will be about 5 or 6 fleets started and running on several courses. Entry fee is minimal ($12) and that goes to the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation. It should be a lot of fun and its a chance to participate in the largest, worldwide regatta and raise money for a good cause.

Wakatere are also doing something, but I think they're only dinghies, not keelers (or RC yachts) as well.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants a spot on a Platu 25 (a 25 foot Bruce Farr designed keelboat trainer - awesome fun, they're like a big dinghy) there are plenty of spots available for the Bart's Bash. There are 3 boats available to sail on and each boat has a crew of 5. There may even be a couple of helming spots available in the Platus. At this stage, I think most of the regular crews are involved in running the event rather than sailing in it.

Archived