Boat buying advice please

We sailed all over the place in a Tasman 20 Keeler when I was a kid, and later I had a Harmonic for 10 years and they are great boats (the example in your TM link is not a Mk 4 its an early Mk2 with different windows.) I'd stick with popular designs, Harmonic, Tracker, Reactor Raven etc. popular boats are hard enough to sell let alone an orphan. Thing is you don't need a 25' boat for daysailing with the kids and a couple of weeks holiday on the water.

For the type of sailing you describe I would go smaller - around 20' and get a TS. You then have the options of trailing or putting it on a mooring, and if you need to pull it out of the water you can just drag it out on the trailer instead of paying for a travellift and boatyard. Shoal draft is good.

My own 2c. With the budget mentioned I would be looking for a Davidson M20, Noelex 22, Young 5.7 or similar and having a bit of coin left over for the inevitable. Its better to buy a boat that has been in use and kept maintained (that includes the trailer, a rooted one can cost more than the boat), than one that has been left forgotten on a trailer or mooring for years unused.

As far as your question about coming up from Auckland, it's no problem, assuming what you get is seaworthy. Doing it like you suggested - wait for a decent forecast, then Kawau one day, Whangarei the next is a good idea if you want to break the trip up, and will make it easier to arrive in daylight. Try to avoid being under pressure to do it on a particular day/weekend as you really want to be able to pick the weather.

My 2c on what to get - there's a big difference between a raven/tracker etc and a 20-22 footer. If you just want to get on the water for a day sail or overnight here and there something small is ok, but if you want a bit of room and comfort to do the odd trip away then it's worth going bigger if you can. You'll notice this when you go and look at some first hand. But as noted above a smaller trailer boat will be cheaper in the long run.

I'd also suggest buying something that has been regularly used by the previous owner if you can. Much more likely to have things work than something that's sat for the last 10 years unused.

Just on trailers (assuming you buy a trailer sailer) As GregW said, check out the trailer thoroughly. Very thoroughly.

I know you're buying a boat but the trailer (at the value you're buying at) is 1/2 the package, maybe more than half.

Plus the current trailer rules mean many boats need a tandem trailer with brakes. That's obviously the heavier boats in the 25 foot range. A new trailer of that type is in the $9K range :cry:

They rust from the inside out (apparently, but I'm no expert) so it may look okay at first glance ............but..........

Don't ask me how I know these things :oops:

i'll stay out of trailor sailor vs keeler. but in the current market i think 7.5k can definitely get you a small keeler in decent condition, just as long as you're not paying for a good racing sail wardrobe. we ended up selling our farr 727 well inside that range -- hence my suggestion that you might even be able to get something a bit bigger, like a tracker or raven.

Thanks so much for the replies it's been super helpful.

What do you think of something like this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 983251.htm

It leaves enough budget for a bit of repair work, and I love the aesthetics of it all. Been told they were built tough back then and painting wood is quite therapeutic so no worries with the keeping up the paint job.

The diesel is apparently in pretty sharp condition, and would be a fun boat just for puttering about the harbour in and doing some family fishing.

Definitely thinking that way! I am thinking keeler though as I won't be buying a bigger car ( only have a 1300cc) and I can't weld so trailer work is out.

Painting a beautiful boat every so often is no big deal.

Is there any major issue of something like the above boat as a starter ( it's not a monster cruiser, a little pokey).

It's old but refurbished, sails will need replacing shortly. Been told I should budget 3,500 for that.

I'll get a survey done of course.

Well, sails need replacing now by the look of the pics.

Old, wooden boat. Can't say much until surveyed.

No lifelines to help keep the kids on board. ANY of the other keel boats discussed will outsail her.

Offset shaft and prop will make reversing very difficult, and motoring at close quarters harder

I know nothing of this design, but I'd say looking at her, she is probably a safe cruiser for your area.

Be very thorough with your surveyor!!!!! Easy to cover up a lot of issues with paint....

Agree with IT

Plus whangarei harbour, it will be a pig to sail around unless your going with the tide in the channel. If budget is a major part I still say trailer sailer.

Thank you so much!! Saving me making some big mistakes.

Can anyone tell me the differences between a coronet or a tasman 20? They seem to be the more common ty options.

Oh and what are the southerly/variants like as wee keeler?

Thank you so much!! Saving me making some big mistakes.

Can anyone tell me the differences between a coronet or a tasman 20? They seem to be the more common ty options.

Oh and what are the southerly/variants like as wee keeler?

They were designed around the same time as a bunch of other TS that became available in the early 1970s (Tasman, Coronet, Venturer, Midnight etc). They displace about the same but the Tasman is a foot longer on the waterline and has a little larger rig. Ours, with the fin keel could hang in there with boats 3 or 4 foot longer racing in light conditions.

Just a personal niggle but one thing from a cruising perspective that always bugged me about the Tasman - the rig is quite an extreme example of the IOR inspired small main big overlapping genoa thinking that was around at the time. The boats don't sail under main alone well. The Coronet rig has proportionately more area in the main and might do better in this regard. This might seem unimportant but the day the outboard doesn't start and you have to sail on or off a mooring or through a crowded anchorage you'll appreciate being able to sail effectively under main alone.

I would rather have a Variant than a Southerly, and looked at examples of both back in the early 1990s when in a similar situation as you. Back then a nice glass Variant was over 10k. Variants were/are very popular and deservedly so. The Southerly always struck me as a bit of an oddball in our market and was soon supplanted by more modern new Zealand designed stock boats. I ended up getting a Harmonic which was faster and roomier than either.

The Reactor linked above looks like it might be a buy, but I would want to know what was wrong with the engine/gearbox and what it would cost to fix first.

Nice little Coronet keeler here

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 006773.htm

This might be worth a look as it seems to have been kept in reasonable condition.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 623060.htm

So I just bought a boat, a tracker 7.7 called "Hound Dog"

Kind of a bit of a snap decision but with new pentex foresails, probably worth the parts value alone. As an Altex no.3 paint issue but I'm happy to chip away at that over the coming months.

$6K all up including a bit of gear.

Anyone able to enlighten me on the boat?

Good on ya, 3/4 rig tracker should go well. Next race in the WCC/OYC is in two weeks and B division needs more boats!

Yeah it's got all the fancy race sails too! Needs a couple of halyards done, a tiny bit of wood work and in time more paint but she's mine. Now I need to figure out where to put her.

Any pointers on Bukh diesels and how to sail here much appreciated (coming from 5.5 metre trailer yachts and dinghies!)

Oh and I need to park her somewhere will be joining onerahi yacht club I think, can I still use the WCC wharf at kissing point if I rent a pile berth?

Archived