Boat buying advice please

Oh and I need to park her somewhere will be joining onerahi yacht club I think, can I still use the WCC wharf at kissing point if I rent a pile berth?

I'm pretty certain that if you want to use the WCC jetty you need to be a member of WCC. The pile berths are not owned or run by the WCC, so if you want to use their jetty you would need to join. At the very least it's good manners. See the marina office in the basin to see if there are any pile berths available at kissing point. There's obviously a wharf at the basin to use if you didn't want to join WCC. With either wharf it is my understanding that you need to let them know your intentions before arriving if its for longer than a pick up/drop off.

If you get a mooring at Parua Bay the floating jetty is free to use, and not highly used. Just no good in an easterly, otherwise fine. No power or water though if that's what you need.

wanting to kayak up the estuary to new lynn

parked at the end of a road that ran down to the water and carried a kayak into the te atatu yacht club ramp

it was very quickly pointed out to me that non-members needed to pay $5 to use the ramp

It costs money to build and maintain things, and clubs everywhere are apparently having a drop in numbers. Less membership fees = less money for the club to operate. Why should current and past club members fund everyone else? Do you maintain it, or offer to help maintain it for the club? Do you contribute to resource consents, dredging costs etc?

It really doesn't matter if you spend a second or a day walking across someone else's property. It's still trespassing. What's the difference?

I'm frustrated myself at how difficult everything is getting in terms of access to jetties etc, but I'm far more frustrated and tired of the general attitude of many people that everything should be free without considering the whole story.

Related to this: The tracker that has just been purchased here has spent the last few months anchored in the channel opposite one of the yards. No one on it, its just been parked there. It's moved twice, once when the first place he anchored it was too close to the mangroves and she was grounded at low tide, and then I noticed her out for a day sail a few weeks back. I pay for my mooring as its the right thing to do. Boat's safe, mooring's maintained, my boats insured, and other boats around me are safe or at least looked after because I do the right thing.

This is not an attack on any one person, I just want people to think about other perspectives and not just themselves for a minute. There's far too much of that in the world.

Vent over. Congrats on buying that tracker, the reason I've always notice her is that she's a lovely looking boat. Great price, well done and have fun with her!

It costs money to build and maintain things, and clubs everywhere are apparently having a drop in numbers. Less membership fees = less money for the club to operate. Why should current and past club members fund everyone else? Do you maintain it, or offer to help maintain it for the club? Do you contribute to resource consents, dredging costs etc?

It really doesn't matter if you spend a second or a day walking across someone else's property. It's still trespassing. What's the difference?

I'm frustrated myself at how difficult everything is getting in terms of access to jetties etc, but I'm far more frustrated and tired of the general attitude of many people that everything should be free without considering the whole story.

Related to this: The tracker that has just been purchased here has spent the last few months anchored in the channel opposite one of the yards. No one on it, its just been parked there. It's moved twice, once when the first place he anchored it was too close to the mangroves and she was grounded at low tide, and then I noticed her out for a day sail a few weeks back. I pay for my mooring as its the right thing to do. Boat's safe, mooring's maintained, my boats insured, and other boats around me are safe or at least looked after because I do the right thing.

This is not an attack on any one person, I just want people to think about other perspectives and not just themselves for a minute. There's far too much of that in the world.

Vent over. Congrats on buying that tracker, the reason I've always notice her is that she's a lovely looking boat. Great price, well done and have fun with her!

Yeah I called the harbour master today to advise change of ownership. He had his eye on her. She'll be on a pile tomorrow hopefully, maybe a little later. I've signed up for a pile mooring and will join WCC, I wasn't trying to budge, just wasn't sure if there was a reciprocal deal between OYC and WCC. OYC is my local.

The boat needs a bit of work but should go well!

Look down the far end of the piles and you'll see three more trackers: Inflation with a masthead and an inboard motor, Tramper also masthead with an outboard motor and Rauru fractional inboard motor which is built with wood I think.

When I put Tramper on the piles we joined the WCC and are more than happy with them and their great facilities

Archived